Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: IM PISSED  (Read 4006 times)

Offline brandonsfly

IM PISSED
« on: March 15, 2007, 07:51:16 PM »
My parker fly deluxe. $3000 guitar you expect some quality right? Of course you just paid $3000 you expect something worth while. No, I have had enough problems with this thing it's brought me to tears.

1.first day I got it when my aunts boyfriend (who's amazing at guitar) whent to tune it and we had to tighten the bridge cause it'd go straight up.

2. 1 month later one of the wires came loose. I got it saughtered back.

3. The spring just popped out while I was playing it.

4. The input jack came loose and broke the wires. I had to get those saughtered back too.

5. The truss bar was off so bad it was insane. Had to get that fixed.

6. One of the frets just fell off. I had to get that glued back on.

7. The wire to the active pick-up battery compartment came loose. Had to get that saughtered back.

8. The knobs on the back of the tuners would just come right off even when I tightend them.

9. The volume and tone knobs slipped off. I tightend those back on.

10.The plastic surronding the hole where the trem goes cracked.

11. I looked at the strap knobs recently and they where put in loosely. I didnt notice that until yesterday.

12. for some reason I have to use the elastic cord of my guitar cord and stretch it onto my volume knob to keep the input peg in the guitar cause it'll just fall out and the cord keeps it in the guitar so I can play plugged in.

13. The pickups seem to sound weak and wont pick up my E(big string for teh dummies) and you cant even hear it when I switch to acustic mode.

14.When I use the pick up selecter it has NO CHANGE in tone at all. A kid in my guitar class in school has the same guitar I have and you can tell the differnce when he does it.

15. Some time the selctors wil just make a static sound and I have to switch to another config to get it to stop.

****. should I just send it to parker and see if the warranty is still valid? or just sell the darn thing?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 07:54:29 PM by brandonsfly »

IM PISSED

Offline ChicagoKid

• http://www.USCustomShop.com
IM PISSED
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 08:11:12 PM »
Welcome to the forum... I think.

You're 16 years old which explains the reason you type the way you do. The angry young man was a great song by a band called Styx. It's not the best way to present yourself, however. No one on this forum has caused any of these problems, but when asked nicely... they always try to help.

There are NO "dummies" on this board. We don't need to be told where EITHER E string is. Surely, you know that there are two?

You didn't spend $3000 on this guitar. The 2007 Deluxe costs $2300. I'll bet you a nickel that yours was used and is probably old. We'll see...

First question you're gonna get asked:
What's the serial number?

We'll go from there.
[^]

www.USCustomShop.com <coming soon>

IM PISSED

Offline brandonsfly

IM PISSED
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 08:37:40 PM »
sorry about that. It's just I got this guitar and i've treated it right and it just starts to fall apart on me.

IM PISSED

Offline jamrcat

IM PISSED
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 08:45:27 PM »
quote:
sorry about that. It's just I got this guitar and i've treated it right and it just starts to fall apart on me.
Brandon, at least I think that is your name, welcome to the forum! [:D]I'll ask again for the serial number of the Fly, and maybe we can start to help you! The Fly has some unique attributes about it, and most of us here have had a great experience with ours. Like any man made product things can and do go wrong. If you appreciate the incredible design and attributes of your Fly then fixing it and using it to it's potental is probably why your here! [;)]

01' Parker Fly Classic w/SD Black Backs
Korg AX1500G, D-Tar Mama Bear

jamrcat
Butte, Montana
"A Fly for each hand!"

IM PISSED

Offline ChicagoKid

IM PISSED
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 09:14:13 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by brandonsfly

The falling apart is possibly indicative of the previous owner's abuse to the guitar.

Guitars are not much different than automobiles or our own bodies. They require routine maintenance (watch the jokes!) and you can't always predict when these troubles will present themselves.

It's sound like you've certainly had your fair share! But, it also sounds like you've been a real pro at getting them fixed. That leads me to this:

What is wrong with the guitar, at this very moment? Not the past troubles.

I'd also like to say how totally cool it is that you and your peers are playing Parker's. You guys have great taste and you're fully aware of how good they can be from playing your friends' Parker. Let's get yours up and running!

Cheers.
[;)]

IM PISSED

jwrooker

IM PISSED
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 06:48:26 AM »
Hi brandonsfly!

Even though you started out on the wrong foot, you're in the right place.  You are going to find that this is a very different forum from any other guitar forums on the Net.  It is vastly superior to all of them.  You will also find people who have been there, done that and can help you through anything that may be troubling your Parker.  

A couple months ago, I bought a "mint" 2003 Fly Mojo on Ebay.  When the guitar arrived, I just about sat down and cried.  There were no strings on it, the bridge had been jacked up all the way, the battery was loose in the case, the trem spring was rattling around inside the body.  I said, "Well, it's good opportunity to learn this guitar inside and out" and I spent the next two or three hours setting it up.  I now have a very nice Fly Mojo that looks and plays like a new one.

I didn't judge Parker based on the way this guitar arrived, but I do judge Parker quality by the way this guitar turned out.  The previous owner was an idiot with this guitar and had no appreciation of what he had. Luckily he didn't do any permanent damage and that Mojo is now appreciated.

So, get us the serial number so we know what we are dealing with and we'll go through all your issues and get you fixed up.

John
[img=left]http://jwrooker.com/images/parkerforum/avatar.jpg[/img=left]
98 Fly Classic w/Gen 1's..98 Fly Classic w/Gen 2's
03 Fly Mojo..02 NiteFly M w/Duncans
96 Fly Standard

IM PISSED

Offline brandonsfly

IM PISSED
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 06:39:31 PM »
When I got the guitar it was brand new. I never ever do anything like slam it, drag it, throw it, use it as a dinner table, scratch it or do any maintenance unless it's done by a professional. I have to drive about 50 miles to richmond to go to a shop that can work on this thing.

The guitar now is fine but the pickups have a weak sound. I just put in a new battery yesterday so it pretty much rules out the dieing battery.
The thing is I've been told the parker should have a distinct change in tone when you use different variations in the positions of the pickups selectors.

The serial number is:  0760205BP USA
« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 06:43:12 PM by brandonsfly »

IM PISSED

Offline ChicagoKid

IM PISSED
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 07:09:58 PM »
2005 produced a few lemons. I'm not even gonna sugar coat that. Parker was transitioning from their old Wilmington, MA factory to their current location outside Chicago. The majority of the crew decided not to relocate to Chicago. Therefore, many new employees were brought in to build these first Chicago-era Parker's. Many of those people have since been replaced. The current crew is the best since Parker made the move to Chicago. I'm satisfied with over 90% of what I have seen come out of the factory in the last 12+ months.

I'm sorry that you caught one of those early Chicago-era Parker's that had some quality issues.

Fortunately, you can replace hardware, pups & wiring. You might look into some Seymour Duncan pups to replace your current Dimarzio's. I think you'll like those.

Sadly, none of this will be covered under your warranty. Parker only issues coverage for one year. They feel that if anything is suspect it should present itself within the first 12 months of ownership.

I'm wondering if you have the same pickup installed in both locations. That might explain the lack of tonal difference in the two.

Do you still wrap your cord around the volume knob to keep it plugged in?

Do you have any pictures of your guitar that you can share?

Cheers!

IM PISSED

Offline brandonsfly

IM PISSED
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2007, 07:27:54 PM »
What Seymour Duncan pick-ups do you think I should change them with?

IM PISSED

jwrooker

IM PISSED
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2007, 08:10:34 PM »
quote:

What Seymour Duncan pick-ups do you think I should change them with?

You said you had a friend in your class who also has a Parker.  Do you consider his pickups weak as well?  If his are fine, there may be something wrong in you wiring or the pickup selector itself.  It makes more sense to get the guitar working as correctly as possible before swapping out pickups, especially if the problem is something in the wiring.  The wiring and switching in a refined Fly is relatively simple and any competent guitar tech should be able to determine if something is wrong.

John
96 Fly Standard

IM PISSED

Offline brandonsfly

IM PISSED
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2007, 01:16:18 AM »
How much would new pickup selectors cost?

Yes his pickups sound different

IM PISSED

jwrooker

IM PISSED
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2007, 06:31:32 AM »
quote:

How much would new pickup selectors cost?

Yes his pickups sound different

Since you have a Refined Fly (built after 2003), internal wiring parts are pretty generic and easy to find.  There has been some discussion on this board about the switches and finding better quality switches.  

Where are you located?  I'm just wondering if there might be a forum member near you who might be able to take a look at your guitar.

John
96 Fly Standard

IM PISSED

Offline JSanta

IM PISSED
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2007, 08:54:05 AM »
If you're in Richmand,VA, then I might be able to help.  I am stationed at Ft. Myer, let us know if we can help.

/jim

"Do not speak.  Unless it improves on silence."
           -Buddha

IM PISSED

Offline uburoibob

• Bob Martin 11:11
IM PISSED
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2007, 11:16:17 AM »
Sorry, but I have to voice an opinion here. Seems like Parker should stand by their "experiments" from 2005. Clearly there aren't enough guitars built by Parker to rally a class action suit, but this guitar should be shipped back to the factory and they should simply take care of it. Using the public as beta testers for anything other than software is reprehensible. It would go a LONG way toward consumer confidence if Parker simply bit the bullet and one at a time made good on these guitars. There are whole chapters in this forum devoted to the maladies that these guitars have. I understand that there are more than a handful of basses that have really suffered as well, and that even today there are issues that are unresolved. Sorry, but this is why I keep buying the old stuff. I really do like it much better.

Bob

1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail  â€¢ 1998 Fly Classic in Transparent Dark Blue (thanks, Darren!) •  1998 Fly Classic in Cherry Red with DiBurro Roland Mod • Now on a signature reduction program! Just the Flies, maam. •  www.rtmadvertising.com
1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch -   2000 Fly Standard Classic in Cherry Red - http://bobmartin1111.com

IM PISSED

jwrooker

IM PISSED
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2007, 11:38:12 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by uburoibob

Sorry, but I have to voice an opinion here. Seems like Parker should stand by their "experiments" from 2005. Clearly there aren't enough guitars built by Parker to rally a class action suit, but this guitar should be shipped back to the factory and they should simply take care of it. Using the public as beta testers for anything other than software is reprehensible. It would go a LONG way toward consumer confidence if Parker simply bit the bullet and one at a time made good on these guitars. There are whole chapters in this forum devoted to the maladies that these guitars have. I understand that there are more than a handful of basses that have really suffered as well, and that even today there are issues that are unresolved. Sorry, but this is why I keep buying the old stuff. I really do like it much better.

Bob

Bob,

I agree with you wholeheartedly.  That's kind of why I was hoping that an established forum member could look over that guitar knowing what some of the issues were during the transition.  

Here, we have just what Parker needs..a young player with a Fly.  If they were to make right on this guitar, perhaps he and his friends would be long term Parker owners.

John
96 Fly Standard