Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Parker Copy  (Read 5496 times)

Offline loumt123

Parker Copy
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2005, 11:00:40 AM »
908SSP is right. I think that is what gibson did to PRS with the single cut model..it looked to much like the Les Paul or some garbage

Parker Copy

Offline loumt123

Parker Copy
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2005, 11:04:49 AM »
hmm..just a proposition...http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2384&item=7305507771&rd=1 most of us agreed this was a nice looking copy...If it is so cheap on ebay, do you think parker could manufacture a cheaper version of their fly deluxe like that for the p series with all the fly body cut outs and what not and that bolt on neck..ebony fingerboard..piezos..something like that would be nice [:D]

Parker Copy

Offline Bigbore

Parker Copy
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2005, 12:40:38 PM »
Alex, what is the easy get around on the design and utility patents, you are referring to? I am interested in hearing this. I think it depends, to a large degree, on how well the patent claims are drafted, the overall content of the patent specifications and whether or not the court finds the patent enforceable and infringed. Moreover, this would have to be looked at on an individual bases by the courts. You make a good point on the trademarking of the shape, but that does not protect (referring to the Parker Fly) the really cool technology with the body and neck materials and one could make slight changes to the shape and not infringe the trademarking of the shape.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2005, 01:06:14 PM by Bigbore »

Parker Copy

Offline 908ssp

Parker Copy
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2005, 05:00:46 PM »
I meant by "get around" the limited time of the patents by using trademark law instead. I am not a lawyer I do have a couple of patents and I doubt their worth the paper they are written on even if they cost a bundle to get in the first place. I hope that Parker has done everything they can to protect both their technologies and their designs or trademarks. I do know that Gibson recently sued PRS over PRS's single cut design and won in court and PRS hasn't sold a single cut since. Fender too is involved in a big law suit seeking to stop every guitar builder using the Strat shape. They have sent numerous small builders sis and desist orders. Many of those builder are all of a sudden building new designs I welcome the change I wish it could have been done differently but guitar players are notoriously traditionalist.

Alex
1996 Parker Fly Deluxe
1998 Parker Fly Classic
1999 Parker NiteFly S/S/H NFV7
2005 Emerald Acoustic X10
2004 Maven Peal Ganesha
2004 Marshall 4x12 Scumbag
« Last Edit: June 19, 2005, 05:01:41 PM by 908ssp »
Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Parker Copy

Offline loumt123

Parker Copy
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2005, 09:17:03 PM »
yea they are very traditionalist..if its a strat or les paul its suddenly the best guitar on earth to them

Parker Copy

Offline redlinedeath

Parker Copy
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2005, 04:18:31 PM »
that one with the clear finish was a little to close to home as far as the overall body is concerned.  im going to be working on designing a guitar soon also, but as far as that goes, i decided to go a different route.  im not just ripping someones design.(though there isnt many places to go now) i am currently working on something where everything you see is how it is for a reason.  i love science and physics.  so it makes sence to me.  it will be a really really long time before something is done 100%, but if you make an instrument, make it quality, not something cheap so others can have a knock off of something good.  parker tried to make something better for the musicians.  those guys all tried to make something for money. its sad really
1996 Parker Fly classic
severely neglected 2001 Ibanez S470QS

Parker Copy

Offline JSanta

Parker Copy
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2005, 10:26:33 AM »
I just received a reply back from JohnP and they have taken care of the problem.

-Jim

"Do not speak.  Unless it improves on silence."
           -Buddha

Parker Copy

Offline loumt123

Parker Copy
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2005, 04:51:03 PM »
redlinedeath i'd like to see your guitar once you've finished making it

Parker Copy

Offline Ajiwaba

Parker Copy
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2005, 04:02:58 PM »
Hi to all in this forum, my name is F Ajiteru and I am the guy who was selling a copy of Parker Guitar by Schick. I just bothered myself login to this forum just to explain to you all why Schick has made a copy of Parker, but I am doing this not because I need to apologize to Parker or justify the sale but simply because I think that just by having this forum here now seems to be a bit weird. Especially, because most of people here are judging an instrument and they haven’t even seen in or tried it. But anyway, it is not that important.

Schick has made this Parker as one off guitar for a musician who had an original Parker but it was stolen after one his gigs. He was devastated and could not afford to pay for another original so since he knew Schick people can produce TOP QUALITY INSTRUMENTS, and he was a friend with the owner, he asked them to make him a copy, which I personally think they can do. There are so many Fender or Gibson copies and no one is bothered. Back to the point. Before the copy was finished the police found the original and the owner got the original back. So logically, after this they tried to sell it. And it was through me since I sell Schick instruments on their behalf in the UK. The market in the Czech Republic is small for an instrument like this (10mil. inhabitants). SCHICK MAIN PRODUCTION IS BASED ON THE BASS GUITARS THEY MAKE UNDER THEIR OWN NAME INCLUDING PICKUPS THEY MAKE FOR THEIR INSTRUMENTS. And I obviously sell only basses from Schick. THIS PARKER COPY WAS JUST ONE OFF INSTRUMENT THEY MADE AND THEY NEVER INTENDED TO MAKE MORE.
After I was contacted by Parker and asked to remove the guitar from Ebay I did so but I would not expect Parker to have this silly discussion you have here on this site since it can cause harm to the name SCHICK. If Parker think Schick did not have right to sell the copy of their guitar, fine. We could discuss that, which I thought we did, since I exchanged a few mails with Parker and after that I considered the matter closed. THERE ARE NO MORE PARKER COPIES MADE BY SCHICK AND I ONLY HAVE THE ONE MAHAGONY MODEL THEY MADE. I am taking it back to Schick in two days time so that someone can keep it use it and play it since, believe it or not and no matter what you say the guitar plays well. The comments I got from people who tried it (and own their original) were really good. They were lucky enough to have it in their hands and see that a well made guitar comes from hands of a good luthier.
About your description. There is not a single piece of graphite on the guitar and the bridge might seem a bit dodgy to you but as I say YOU HAVE NOT HEARD IT OR PLAYED IT SO DO NOT JUDGE.

I include my email ajiteru@tiscali.co.uk if someone wants to carry on in this discussion with me but I think I said what I wanted to say so have all a very good time.

Best Regards
Francis Ajiteru
Fleetwood

Parker Copy

Offline 908ssp

Parker Copy
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2005, 04:50:15 PM »
You are greatly mistaken as to the affairs of Gibson and Fender both are currently sueing a whole host of companies for trademark infringement. Gibson won a major case against PRS and Fender has shut down a whole slew of small builders who were making copies. Parker has the legal right to protect their design and would be amiss if they didn't do so. The Schick Company might be unaware of this but ignorance is not an excuse for breaking the law. No mater how good Schick might be it is very unlikely they can make a Parker Fly there simply is too much they can not duplicate not mater how good you think they are. [^]

Alex
1996 Parker Fly Deluxe
1998 Parker Fly Classic
1999 Parker NiteFly S/S/H NFV7
2005 Emerald Acoustic X10
2004 Maven Peal Ganesha
2004 Marshall 4x12 Scumbag
Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Parker Copy

Offline corksailor

• http://fwperry.net
Parker Copy
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2005, 07:56:02 PM »
I thought Schick made razors?  :o)

What you have is a different guitar that looks like a Parker... the mahogany one was fairly obvious: cut and finish a body and headstock as a Parker, bolt on a set of pickups, and a Floyd Rose trem, and voila... a Parker  ????   Probably an interesting guitar that sounds like something else, and has the unique look of a Parker, but it lowers the value of what is a Parker, even a P like mine.

As the popularity of Parker grows, the copies will appear more and more.  Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery I guess.  John and others will have to see what they can do for legal moves, but eventually there will be "almost Parkers" that make a few changes enough to escape claims that they are copying.... look at the tele nightmare, there are so many makers out there now, and even if you buy a "real" tele, is it MIM, MIJ, Indonesian, or USA (or one with the labels peeled off?)

Corksailor
P-38
Fender Ultimate Chorus
Little Peavey
Seagull Acoustic
Yamaha 12 string
Corksailor
P-38 /Roland Acoustic
Fender Ultimate Chorus
Peavey Audition practice
Seagull/Alvarez/Yamaha12
Acoustics
Yamaha Magicstomp

Parker Copy

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
Parker Copy
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2005, 02:44:01 PM »
"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"

I always that it was "the highest form of flattery"... Anyhow, you'll stole the words out of my mouth. [;)]

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com