Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Other guitars  (Read 6233 times)

Offline Yoyo

Other guitars
« on: March 28, 2007, 05:14:06 AM »
I notice that a lot of forum members play Parkers exclusively and I do understand this for all the often mentioned advantages of Flys especially the neck.
I wondered if there are many who, like me, still appreciate and play other guitars. I've got 12 nice guitars and only one is a Fly. It could be argued that I'm actually more appreciative of the legendary Fly neck as I'm constantly playing clumpier necks alongside it.
The only thing that exists is this moment now.

Other guitars

Offline loumt123

Other guitars
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 05:44:39 AM »
I'm a growing archtop enthusiast myself....I also really dig alvarez acoustics, and this one expensive guild acoustic I played (man that thing sounded awesome).

Other guitars

Offline davecan

• http://www.candidsounds.com
Other guitars
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 06:01:24 AM »
Most of my other axes are acoustics (Martin), but I also like my tele a lot (it's a weird one-neck through body and very nice dimarzios).  I originally came to Parker for their light weight when I started having neck problems (my neck, not the guitars).

Dave Candido
GSP 153
Nitefly Mojo * Southern Nitefly *
"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything." - Plato  
www.candidsounds.com
Dave

Other guitars

Offline captain_rusty

• http://www.s3cretcode.com
Other guitars
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 07:00:40 AM »
I have Patrick Eggle Berlin, which I take to gigs as a backup, but hardly ever use. This is a pity, since it's a lovely guitar. [:(]
I also regularly use a custom-made Ken Loper P90 Tele tuned to open E for slide. Again, a really nice guitar, but it feels bulky compared to the Fly. If I could afford a hardtail Fly, I'd use that instead [:D]
The others (Strat, Cort, etc.) never come out of their cases...

Not surprisingly, since I got the Fly, I haven't lusted after any other guitars...

David

2001 Fly Classic -> Ibanez WD7 wah -> Death Rattle -> Digidelay -> Red Bear MK60 / Behringer V-Ampire -> 1x12 Fane cabinets
Fly clip: http://rustyzone.free.fr/rusty_meltdown_44.mp3
David

2001 Fly Classic -> Digitech GSP1101 -> PA.
Band web page: www.s3cretcode.com

Other guitars

Offline guitarmanuk

Other guitars
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 07:03:08 AM »
My Fly is my main guitar now and no others get a look in.  I have a really nice Patrick Eggle Berlin Pro that I used exclusively for 13 years and that now sits in its case unplayed.  It is a wonderful guitar and it served me very well for over 1500+ gigs but I wanted something with piezos and although I could have modified the Eggle I came across Parker and haven't looked back since. I like to find a guitar I am comfortable with and stick with it and the Classic fits the bill perfectly.    

David

1997 Parker Fly Classic transparent Teal Green

www.dancineasy.co.uk my wedding/function band
www.saxandguitar.co.uk my sax and guitar duo
David

1997 Parker Fly Classic transparent Teal Green
1997 Parker Fly Concert Butterscotch

Other guitars

Offline Lwinn171

Other guitars
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 08:15:32 AM »
I sometimes break out the Larivee Parlor. I've sold my other electrics, except the '65 Fender Musicmaster II, which was my first, and my 12th bday present. I keep it for sentimental reasons only. Other electric guitars just p*ss me off anymore; clumsy, awkward, out of tune, slow...they are just disappointing to me now.

Lawrence Winn
You can hear me playing and see my woodworks at:
http://www.myspace.com/132917993
"42.7 percent of all statistics are made-up on the spot."
2001 Fly Classic, Green
Larivee Parlour Guitar
Several inferior others
Mesa Boogie MK IV
Marshall 2-12 cab

Lawrence Winn
2001 Classic, 98 Deluxe
various amps, various toys

Other guitars

Offline simonlock

Other guitars
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 08:40:31 AM »
I've still got my Ibanez JS1200because it's very familiar to me and the pickups sounds awesome. I was playing JS models from 15-30 until I played a Fly. Now the JS sits in it's case in a closet in mint condition and unplayed. Every six months I pet her and put her away.

Simon
Vancouver,BC

'00 Parker Fly Supreme-Butterscotch
'06 Parker Nylon Fly(thanks Jamie!)
'99 Parker Fly Artist w/Ken Parker signature
'06 Parker Fly Mojo-T/Cherry
'06 Parker Fly Classic-Dusty Black
'99 Parker Fly Classic-Natural
'98 Parker FlY Classic-Trans Blue
'02 Parker Fly Classic-Hardtail(coming soon)

Other guitars

Offline WKG

Other guitars
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2007, 09:30:28 AM »
I've still got a few others, SG, BM C90p, Jackson SL1 and an Alvarez-Yairi DY87 acoustic. The Moore and the Jackson are both getting ready for E-Bay to help fund another Parker. The SG was my first real electric at age 16, I'll probably never get rid of that. Actually I have been picking it up a bit more lately and while it's not a Parker it'll get the job done. I am going to refinish it shortly, for the second time in it's life...[:p] I play the Alvarez-Yairi quite a bit around the house. Next to the Parker it has the best neck of any guitar I have ever played.

2005 Fly Mojo, Dusty black
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 09:31:09 AM by WKG »
2005 Fly Mojo, Japanese Armor (AKA Alien Purple Burst)

Other guitars

Offline JSanta

Other guitars
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2007, 09:30:58 AM »
I don't have any Fly guitars right now, and I play me Ernie Ball John Petrucci 7-string a lot (it's what I have with me while I live in the barracks) but at home I have a PRS Custom 24 and a Carvin DC400TA that I played and recorded with exclusively for 3.5 years.  I will get another Fly someday, and it will be an Artist, but until that day my other guitars keep my quite content!

/jim

"Do not speak.  Unless it improves on silence."
           -Buddha

Other guitars

Offline bno

Other guitars
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2007, 09:43:09 AM »
Washburn HB15 Archtop, two crap acoustics tuned to different open tunings, a old Gretsch Corvette set up for slide.  Then only guitar I don't play is the Frankenstrat.  The Washburn is the one most likely to be laying around and picked up.
'94 Fly Deluxe
Listen first, then play.

Other guitars

Offline jamrcat

Other guitars
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2007, 10:02:10 AM »
I have several other guitars that haven't been sold yet, that are loaned out to friends. Only because I think they should be played, and I got tired of looking at their cases in my closet. I have an Adamas 12 string that I play once in awhile when I need something totally acoustic. I've sold it 3 times but the money never seems to show! I have been Flyborgized, I don't see myself ever going back to the "plank" guitars! [^]

01' Parker Fly Classic "Natural" w/SD Black Backs
93' Parker Fly Deluxe hardtail RP "Blackie"
Korg AX1500G, D-Tar Mama Bear

jamrcat
Butte, Montana
"A Fly for each hand!"

Other guitars

Offline portnoy

• http://www.facebook.com/pages/Huntingdon-United-Kingdom/MusicStreetUK/193947947906?ref=ts
Other guitars
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2007, 06:49:41 PM »
i still love playing my ibanez DMM1, it does the chugga chugga detuned to C sharp sounds really well, The parker i use for playing Real music with. my gibson has been neglected for years, infact since i got my ibanez a year and a half ago. the parker is the perfection between them both, Extremely easy to play with a nice fast neck (almost like the gibbo but even better) with no real weight or strain to your back (like the ibanez) so i fell in love even more when i got it.

i played a Gibbo les paul studio the other day and i hated it, within 30 seconds of it coming off the wall it was back up again, i picked up a epiphone SG instead, that i prefered. Then i played a fender american standard strat. stil as nice as ever, but no way near on par with the playabillity and smoothness of a fly.  unlike some who sell thier other guitars to fund another parker, i am finding it hard to part with my gibson and ibanez. theyll go eventually when  i have a wife and kids :-)

Kavan,

07' Fly deluxe - ice blue burst
Marshall MG250DFX (GOING SOON!)
Marshall Vintage modern 100w head + 4x12 cabinet (COMING SOON)
Boss GT8
Boss Micro BR
Phirana cables
D'addario/DR strings
Apple Macbook C2D
2 Inferior guitars :-)

Other guitars

Offline jamrcat

Other guitars
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2007, 10:08:54 PM »
quote:
i am finding it hard to part with my gibson and ibanez. theyll go eventually when i have a wife and kids :-)
The clock is ticking, if you listen real closely you can almost hear the pitter patter of a new custom Mojo calling out to you! Kavan.....Kavan.....where are you? [:D]

01' Parker Fly Classic "Natural" w/SD Black Backs
93' Parker Fly Deluxe hardtail RP "Blackie"
Korg AX1500G, D-Tar Mama Bear

jamrcat
Butte, Montana
"A Fly for each hand!"

Other guitars

Offline BrainWorm

Other guitars
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2007, 11:52:50 PM »
I have several other electric guitars, Les Paul, Ibanez Joe Satriani JS 1000 that I like a lot, a Jackson MG Series SLSMG Super Lightweight Soloist with an ebony fretboard that has a good feel. I have an Ibanez gray duct tape Noodles guitar that I use for everyday practice, that guitar feels like a plank guitar but the neck is good. Wouldn't play it out somewhere cause it looks like something dragged out of a graveyard. I'm suprised how much I like the sound of my new Parker Fly Mojo Single Cutaway. When I listen to my "Tommy Lee" song I like the sound of the guitar. That was recorded straight into the computer, no effects. I'm not sure if it sounds like a hollowbody or an early solid body or maybe a Gretch guitar. The Single Cutaway has either .010 or .011 strings on it, the shop said .010

"Brainverms come crawling and creeping and eat you when you're sleeping."
"Brainverms come crawling and creeping and eat you when you're sleeping."

Other guitars

Offline rld25

Other guitars
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2007, 01:46:39 AM »
Until last year I had other electric guitars that I played regularly for their different sounds (Hamer, BC Rich, many Fenders). It seemed that different guitars said different things when I picked them up.

Now my electric stable is all Parker, but the 3 are as sonically different as any other brand guitars I previously owned. Fly=poplar body/redwood neck/Dimarzio humbuckers,  Fly S/C=mohoganybody-neck/Duncan humbuckers, Southern=ash body/maple neck Duncan single coils. This provides plenty of variety for different moods and styles.

I still regularly play my Ovation Custom Deluxe Special. My Guild acoustic and Yamaha 12 come out on special occassions. My Spector NS-2 bass when I'm feeling deep.'93 Fly Deluxe,'05 Fly Mojo Flame S/C, '06 Southern Nitefly
Lane