Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A new P44 trem??  (Read 1381 times)

Offline Musicman1

A new P44 trem??
« on: April 09, 2007, 11:56:50 AM »
Has anyone tried to put an aftermarket trem on a P44?? Im talking specifically about the 2nd generation P44 with the no name trem not the 1st version which had a Wilkinson.  Im really interested in anything that will drop in without doing mods.  I also do not want a Floyd or similar double locking trem.  Id like to keep the piezos but I dont live or die by them either.  Im wondering if any of the Fishman trems will drop straight in. Anyone??

Im aware that Parker is supposed to be now or in the near future shipping P44's with a Nitefly style trem but I doubt that this will be sold aftermarket. It may also have a totally different system of height adjustment as the NF does.

Musicman1

2005 Parker P44 in trans red
2002 EB MM Axis Sport  in trans gold
1984 Custom made boutique Strat
1977 Guild D40 NT
1976 Gibson 335 Custom in sunburst
A variety of "tube free" and absolutely non-boutique amps and effects

« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 11:59:02 AM by Musicman1 »
Musicman1's current arsenal includes:
2007 EB MM JP6, Mystic Dream, piezo, matching headstock, dot inlays
2005 Parker P44, trans red
2002 EB MM Axis Sport  trans gold, rosewood fingerboard, hum/hum, vintage trem, matching headstock
1977 Guild D40 NT
A variety of "tube free", absolutely non-boutique and completely replaceable amps and effects

A new P44 trem??

Offline rt0412

A new P44 trem??
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 01:19:30 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Musicman1

Has anyone tried to put an aftermarket trem on a P44?? Im talking specifically about the 2nd generation P44 with the no name trem not the 1st version which had a Wilkinson.  Im really interested in anything that will drop in without doing mods.  I also do not want a Floyd or similar double locking trem.  Id like to keep the piezos but I dont live or die by them either.  Im wondering if any of the Fishman trems will drop straight in. Anyone??

Im aware that Parker is supposed to be now or in the near future shipping P44's with a Nitefly style trem but I doubt that this will be sold aftermarket. It may also have a totally different system of height adjustment as the NF does.

Musicman1

I know that all Fishman piezo Strat trems (TSV and VS-50P) and L.R. Baggs piezo trem (X-Bridge) were designed to drop straight in to a Strat's 1 3/16" stud spacing. Therefore, they should also be a straight drop-in to a P-44.

A new P44 trem??

Offline Musicman1

A new P44 trem??
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 02:08:44 PM »
Hey Rolly, the only thing thats real strange about the current P44 is that the trem is not a fulcrum trem.  It doesnt actually pivot on a knife edge.  The bridge posts actually pass through the trem which has a large plate that the saddles are mounted on so I dont know that if you placed a fulcrum trem against those posts if the posts are A)strong enough to hold the trem without tilting or breaking or B)if the posts are mounted further back than usual which would not allow the new trem to fit in the rout without additional routing out towards the rear of the gtr.  Maybe Ill email both companies and see what they say.

Musicman1

1977 Guild D40 NT

« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 02:09:57 PM by Musicman1 »
2002 EB MM Axis Sport  trans gold, rosewood fingerboard, hum/hum, vintage trem, matching headstock
1977 Guild D40 NT
A variety of "tube free", absolutely non-boutique and completely replaceable amps and effects

A new P44 trem??

Offline rt0412

A new P44 trem??
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 03:42:49 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Musicman1

Hey Rolly, the only thing thats real strange about the current P44 is that the trem is not a fulcrum trem.  It doesnt actually pivot on a knife edge.  The bridge posts actually pass through the trem which has a large plate that the saddles are mounted on so I dont know that if you placed a fulcrum trem against those posts if the posts are A)strong enough to hold the trem without tilting or breaking or B)if the posts are mounted further back than usual which would not allow the new trem to fit in the rout without additional routing out towards the rear of the gtr.  Maybe Ill email both companies and see what they say.

Musicman1

I think it's a fulcrum type and seems like a variation of the G & L dual fulcrum trem. I would think that the posts are strong enough to handle other trems. It doesn't matter what type of trem is being used in conjunction with the posts; the posts will have to handle both the pull from the guitar strings and the tremolo springs.

You have to measure how far back the posts are from the nut and also measure the center-to-center spacing between the posts. From the pictures I've seen, it looks like the dimensions would be the same as that of an American Standard Strat.

Anyway, Parker specs says it's a Fishman unit... maybe e-mail Fishman if they're really the manufacturer of the newer P-44 trem and verify dimensional specs?

A new P44 trem??

Offline TexasJim

A new P44 trem??
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 03:48:12 PM »
Hey, musicman1: Watch your mailbox. I put something in the mail to you today.

Thanks again,   Texas Jim

texas jim
Texas Jim

'02 NiteFly SA,
'98 Taylor 815CE
'91 Mexi-Strat

A new P44 trem??

Offline Musicman1

A new P44 trem??
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2007, 08:56:01 PM »
Thanks Jim but again not necessary!!  It was my good deed for the year!! LOL.

Musicman1

1977 Guild D40 NT

1977 Guild D40 NT