Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ovation VXT Guitars  (Read 15788 times)

Offline rt0412

Ovation VXT Guitars
« on: April 09, 2007, 05:55:21 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYDtZt4EElE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rBsrMwE8MA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQyuWJV_60E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoZfJ2kcnj8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4puzQq9lVcg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXxe9cdkfZo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IM0bpbMknF8
http://www.thevxt.com/tour.html

Specs

Type 6–String Hybrid Electric/Acoustic
Finish Options Teardrop Burst, Black
Top Solid Spruce
Body One–Piece Chambered Honduras Mahogany
Neck One–Piece Honduras Mahogany
Neck Finish Gloss
Nut Width 1 11/16"
Fingerboard Rosewood
Fingerboard Inlays Pearl Dots
Scale Length 25 1/4"
Bridge Fishman Power Bridge
Tuners Chrome
Magnetic Pickups Seymour Duncan '59 Humbuckers
Acoustic Preamp VIP Microphone Imaging

Price: ??? No idea

Ovation VXT Guitars

Offline jamrcat

Ovation VXT Guitars
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 06:12:13 PM »
Rolly, I found this to be a pretty awesome hybrid guitar. I think Ovation will reap alot out of this entry into the hybrid world. Thanks for sharing the link! [^]

01' Parker Fly Classic "Natural" w/SD Black Backs
93' Parker Fly Deluxe hardtail RP "Blackie" KP Signature
Korg AX1500G, D-Tar Mama Bear, and a 2FlyBob on it's way!

jamrcat
Butte, Montana
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 06:12:38 PM by jamrcat »
"A Fly for each hand!"

Ovation VXT Guitars

jwrooker

Ovation VXT Guitars
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 06:23:13 PM »
Ya know..here's what bothers me about these guitars..that includes the Variax, the Fender and Gibson offerings and any others.  These guitars are already headed for obsolescence.  They contain proprietary circuitry that at some point in time will be no longer available.  They will all end up being pretty to look at but useless.  There will always be "real" guitars and they will always have value as musical instruments.  Just like all those digital keyboards... a good acoustic piano still trumps all of them.  These guitars will never be collector's items other than curiosities.  It's really cool that they can do this, but I'll stick with a real guitar.  I'll keep the modeling in my amps, not in my instruments.

In a decidedly Olde Pharte mood!!

John
[img=left]http://jwrooker.com/images/parkerforum/avatar.jpg[/img=left]98 Fly Classic w/Gen 1's
98 Fly Classic w/Gen 2's
03 Fly Mojo
02 NiteFly M  w/Virtual PAF's
96 Fly Standard

Ovation VXT Guitars

Offline blancacat

Ovation VXT Guitars
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 06:30:30 PM »
Has it got the same kind of innovation as the Parker?  No, think not;  I've tried out many an Ovation and they simply do not make the grade, nothing I wamted to take home.

99 Classic--thanks Simon
60 LP reissue
00 Strat Deluxe
Alvarez Yairi dy84
Carvin AC 375
Fender Cybertwin
Carvin Belair
99 Classic--thanks Simon
60 LP reissue
00 Strat Deluxe
Alvarez Yairi dy84
Modulus Genesis
Genz Benz Black Pearl
Siegmund Midnite Special

Ovation VXT Guitars

Offline rt0412

Ovation VXT Guitars
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 06:34:45 PM »
It seems that the Ovation VXT does not use modeling at all. Just a special preamp for blending the acoustic and magnetic pickups. Is it any different from the Parker Fly, specially the "unrefined" ones with discontinued preamps? Assuming that the electronics konk out, the XVT is still useable because it's got the typical mag and piezo pickups - can always put in whatever inboard preamp happens to be available.

Ovation VXT Guitars

Offline loumt123

Ovation VXT Guitars
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 06:38:47 PM »
The guitar doesn't even sound like anything special to me?

maybe my ears are busted.

Ovation VXT Guitars

Offline rt0412

Ovation VXT Guitars
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2007, 07:03:18 PM »
The VXT sound amazing to me... I don't think Parker guitars can touch it's acoustic sound. Maybe my ears are busted?

Maybe Fishman will sell the special preamp so it can be retrofitted into a Parker guitar (or other guitars)? Heck, I want one. It may not sound as good as the VXT (because of the chambered body) but it will probably be close and will be an improvement; the Fly probably will sound the closest because it's the most resonant model.

Ovation VXT Guitars

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
Ovation VXT Guitars
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2007, 07:20:29 PM »
quote:
Ya know..here's what bothers me about these guitars..that includes the Variax, the Fender and Gibson offerings and any others. These guitars are already headed for obsolescence. They contain proprietary circuitry that at some point in time will be no longer available. They will all end up being pretty to look at but useless

That kind of reminds me of the old Synthaxe guitar (guitar synth). They were kind of cool when they came out in th 80s and a few guitarists embraced using them, but no one knows how to fix them 20-25 years later. I don't know that this is the case with the Variax and other guitars like that, though. I bet they use DSP to create the sounds. Of course, 20 years from now, that will probably be as ancient as those old 5.25" floppy disks that no one can or is willing to provide support for...

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams

Ovation VXT Guitars

Offline rt0412

Ovation VXT Guitars
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2007, 07:54:20 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Marossy

quote:
Ya know..here's what bothers me about these guitars..that includes the Variax, the Fender and Gibson offerings and any others. These guitars are already headed for obsolescence. They contain proprietary circuitry that at some point in time will be no longer available. They will all end up being pretty to look at but useless

That kind of reminds me of the old Synthaxe guitar (guitar synth). They were kind of cool when they came out in th 80s and a few guitarists embraced using them, but no one knows how to fix them 20-25 years later. I don't know that this is the case with the Variax and other guitars like that, though. I bet they use DSP to create the sounds. Of course, 20 years from now, that will probably be as ancient as those old 5.25" floppy disks that no one can or is willing to provide support for...

Well, the Ovation VXT won't be as bad compared to the Synthaxe, Variax or the Fender VG. The guitar is basically sound with its chambered body, standard mag and piezo pickups. One can always retrofit another preamp into it if the original one konks out and is no longer available. Of course it will then sound ordinary just like any typical mag/piezo hybrid.

Ovation VXT Guitars

Offline JSanta

Ovation VXT Guitars
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2007, 08:04:43 PM »
The only thing that really turns me off about this guitar (but is easily modifiably methinks) is the rotary switch that controls the electric/acoustic function.  I have a five-way rotary switch on my PRS and I have to say that it's the only thing I really don't like about the guitar.  I do think that the guitar sounds excellent, and Ovation should do quite well in sales, obviously depending on it's price range.  Thanks for sharing the clips!

/jim

"Do not speak.  Unless it improves on silence."
           -Buddha

Ovation VXT Guitars

Offline rt0412

Ovation VXT Guitars
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2007, 08:13:58 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by JSanta

The only thing that really turns me off about this guitar (but is easily modifiably methinks) is the rotary switch that controls the electric/acoustic function.  I have a five-way rotary switch on my PRS and I have to say that it's the only thing I really don't like about the guitar.  I do think that the guitar sounds excellent, and Ovation should do quite well in sales, obviously depending on it's price range.  Thanks for sharing the clips!

/jim

"Do not speak.  Unless it improves on silence."
           -Buddha

I don't think that the third knob, the blend control, is a rotary switch. The way I understand it from the video (and the website) explaining its feature is that it's a blend control pot where you can go all the way magnetic to all the way piezo (acoustic) to anything in between - pretty much like the blend control of the "unrefined" Parker Fly.

Ovation VXT Guitars

jwrooker

Ovation VXT Guitars
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2007, 08:14:07 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by rt0412

It seems that the Ovation VXT does not use modeling at all. Just a special preamp for blending the acoustic and magnetic pickups. Is it any different from the Parker Fly, specially the "unrefined" ones with discontinued preamps? Assuming that the electronics konk out, the XVT is still usable because it's got the typical mag and piezo pickups - can always put in whatever inboard preamp happens to be available.

An unrefined Fly can be converted to a number of preamp options should the original board die out and it won't sound all that different.  Other than the preamp, there is nothing all that innovative about the Ovation.  Chambered bodies have been done before, I'm sure it don't play like a Fly.  I will admit some prejudice.  I have never liked Ovation.  I've owned a number of their guitar/salad bowls and they play nice but are very uninspiring guitars sound wise..  Just my opinion.  

What makes the Fly unique is its construction, not its electrics.

John
[img=left]http://jwrooker.com/images/parkerforum/avatar.jpg[/img=left]98 Fly Classic w/Gen 1's
98 Fly Classic w/Gen 2's
03 Fly Mojo
02 NiteFly M  w/Virtual PAF's
96 Fly Standard

Ovation VXT Guitars

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
Ovation VXT Guitars
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2007, 08:17:29 PM »
Wow, thats got my interest up enough to want to try one. Thanks for posting.

Custom '03 Hardtail Artist ; Fly Deluxe 2000; Gibson ES137(4sale); 1974 K.Yari DY85; SchecterDisposable; Martin Backpacker/paddle combo;LarriveeParlor(4sale);VoxAD30VT;SWR California Blonde(broken)
A few Flys in my soup

Ovation VXT Guitars

Offline uburoibob

• Bob Martin 11:11
Ovation VXT Guitars
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2007, 08:18:23 PM »
Having owned two Ovations (including a 1966 Balladeer!) and a Deacon, here's what I think: They are adequate. But there's something about them that wears off really quickly. I can't put my finger on it, but it's like a one night stand that sticks around way past the point it's time to leave. And it would seem that since this is available only from the Guitar Center world (GC and MF) that it's geared for the masses. Certainly, the've tossed the hype machine at it early. Taylor sorta carved out a pretty unique guitar segment with their T 5. I am looking at this as a T too.

Bob

1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail  â€¢ 1998 Fly Classic in Transparent Dark Blue (thanks, Darren!) •  1998 Fly Classic in Cherry Red with DiBurro Roland Mod • Now on a signature reduction program! Just the Flies, maam. •  http://bobmartin1111.com
1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch -   2000 Fly Standard Classic in Cherry Red - http://bobmartin1111.com

Ovation VXT Guitars

Offline rt0412

Ovation VXT Guitars
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2007, 08:26:20 PM »
If a guitar can be played real good and comfortably by a shredder, then to me (I'm not a shredder though, OK?) that guitar's playability is quite good. Any guitar that is a little bit below a shredder's expectation is good enough for me. I'd say the Ovation VXT is quite playable in that respect and probably exceeds my expectation.