Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ovation VXT Guitars  (Read 15786 times)

Offline PeterMa

Ovation VXT Guitars
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2007, 08:44:17 PM »
Well,

After all the stink about this guitar, I figured that I would go and take one for a spin.

Keep in mind that I LOVE my Parker, in fact, if I could I would play 2 at once (imagine a Parker double-neck).

Firstly, I know gear.  I am not a noob that thinks that anything you put in my hands is good because I am playing it.  I actually worked at GC for a year or 2 when I was younger.

I watched all of the videos on this instrument that were posted and I have to say that I was curious.  I also thought that it was weird that people flamed the guitar without playing it.  Yeah, Parkers are great, but aren't we adults?

My local GC had one hanging in the Acoustic Room, which made it hard to find.  I thought it would be hanging with the electrics.  It worked out good though because I was able to sit with this instrument for a while and play it unplugged to get a sense of the true tone of it.  Acoustically, the guitar was warm and clear through all registers on the neck.  I found the acoustic tones very pleasing.

The press that they are firing about you about the superior quality of craftsmanship is absolutely true.  There was not an issue with anything on this guitar.  In fact, it was gorgeous.  The entire neck was alive with no dead or off spots anywhere.  The frets were perfect, with no lifted or sharp edges.  The frets themselves were uniformly rounded and felt very smooth, again with no dead spots.  I did chromatic runs on the guitar for 2 minutes searching for something off and didn't find anything.  The location of the controls was comfortable and did not get in the way of playing.  The knob for panning from electric to acoustic would take me a little while to get used to, since I am so used to my Parker set up, but there was a notch indicating the middle point of the 2, which made it easy to find the balance between the 2 sounds.  The body was contoured in the rear and fit very comfortable as I played sitting down.  There is a small switch in the rear to go from mono to stereo cables and it is labeled appropriately, something that I still get confused on with my Parker(the red button confuses me, sorry).  The neck has a gentle C profile that was VERY comfortable.  Let me say this again, it was VERY comfortable.  It is not nearly as slim as the Parker necks but at no point was my playing interrupted by discomfort with my fretting hand.  This neck is also not nearly as fast as a Parker neck, so shredders may be affected.

This guitar is also a real player.  It does NOT feel like any other ovation.  There is no sense that you are playing a piece of plastic, or Space Age acoustic bowl or whatever it is that they have been advertising.  

It has a similar vibe to my AES620 Yamahas.  It doesn't quite feel like a Les Paul because it is too light and the neck is too slim.  Although the guitar is mahogany, I would put it around 7-8lbs.  Not as light as my Classic at 4.5 lbs but still not a 12 pound behemoth.

Unfortunately, the kids came in and started wailing as I was trying to get a stereo cable and test the electronics and electric tones, so I was unable to complete my review of this instrument.  I will head back there in a week or 2 to see if I can take it for a real run.  It has SD '59s which are a good rock pick-up and the Fishamn Powerbridge is superior to my Fishman Piezo in my classic due to the increased string tension across the saddle.

The only thing I didn’t like about this guitar were the tuners.  It comes with the Ovation tuners and I have always thought that they are inferior to Grovers.  I don’t know if the spacing is the same, but I would probably switch the tuners if it wasn’t a big procedure.

Bottom line-not that you asked for it-this guitar is not a Parker.  It is not even vaguely trying to be a Parker.

Instead, Ovation has created an instrument that has its own sound and vibe that was pleasing.

Am I going to run out and get one?  No, not right now, BUT, I do think that this would be a more than very worthy back-up to my Parker since it offers the same utility.  

I am curious about how it sounds plugged in and who knows, maybe I will get some GAS for it and get one.

I thought that it would be good to have some practical info here so that we could at least have a reasonable conversation about it.

One final point, about the price.  This guitar is more than worth the $1600 sales price.  If anything it is being sold below value.  I think that this is going to be a hard sell for Ovation since they are not known for electrics or hybrid guitars and if my GC is like every GC, there instruments are being placed in the wrong area and most acoustic people will overlook them.

Again, not that you asked, but there was my $.02 anyway.
Peter in MA.

Ovation VXT Guitars

Offline jazzrat

Ovation VXT Guitars
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2007, 09:27:11 PM »
Very nice review. I have been curious about these.
Thanks

'02 Fly Classic Hardtail,AMDlx Tele, Ibanez AS80, Eastman 805 CE Archtop,  MIM jazz bass, Takemine '95 SC-132EC
Fly Classic, Ibanez AS-193, Eric Johnson Strat, Eastman AR403-CE, Cordoba Fusion 12 Maple, Fretless Jazz Bass

Ovation VXT Guitars

Offline jamrcat

Ovation VXT Guitars
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2007, 11:38:19 PM »
A little birdy I know, bought one of the first Custom VXT's made! He just got it within the last two weeks. It's in Ultra Flame Koa, I believe is what he called it!

Looks like a fine instrument to me! [:p]

98' Fly Artist w/RMC (Thanks Dayn!)
93' Parker Fly Deluxe hardtail RP "Blackie" KP Signature (Thank You! Bob & Ken)
2FlyBob (Thanks Paul!)

jamrcat
Butte, Montana
"A Fly for each hand!"

Ovation VXT Guitars

Offline jazzrat

Ovation VXT Guitars
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2007, 04:59:11 AM »
May I be the first to say....Wow!
That little Birdy needs to bring that with him should he ever drive through....oh let's say...
southern Idaho so I can play it and perchance talk him out of it. Nice!

'02 Fly Classic Hardtail,AMDlx Tele, Ibanez AS80, Eastman 805 CE Archtop,  MIM jazz bass, Takemine '95 SC-132EC
Fly Classic, Ibanez AS-193, Eric Johnson Strat, Eastman AR403-CE, Cordoba Fusion 12 Maple, Fretless Jazz Bass

Ovation VXT Guitars

Offline Eruption

Ovation VXT Guitars
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2007, 05:21:34 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by jwrooker

Ya know..here's what bothers me about these guitars..that includes the Variax, the Fender and Gibson offerings and any others.  These guitars are already headed for obsolescence.  They contain proprietary circuitry that at some point in time will be no longer available.  They will all end up being pretty to look at but useless.  There will always be "real" guitars and they will always have value as musical instruments.  Just like all those digital keyboards... a good acoustic piano still trumps all of them.  These guitars will never be collector's items other than curiosities.  It's really cool that they can do this, but I'll stick with a real guitar.  I'll keep the modeling in my amps, not in my instruments.

In a decidedly Olde Pharte mood!!

John
[img=left]http://jwrooker.com/images/parkerforum/avatar.jpg[/img=left]98 Fly Classic w/Gen 1's
98 Fly Classic w/Gen 2's
03 Fly Mojo
02 NiteFly M  w/Virtual PAF's
96 Fly Standard

+1,I have to agree.Where are all the modeling guitars[Ovation VXT,Fender VG,Line 6 Variax]going to be in 25 years?Probably collecting dust in a basement or a used guitar shop because they are so obselete that no one will want/need them because they will have the Line 6 Variax 500 ver.8 or the Fender VG ver.5.Now I know that you can use the VXT as a regular guitar but why would you?It would sound and play just like a normal guitar and we have hundreds of those already.Besides,the VXT is pretty fugly[From a Parker owner's standpoint[:D]]

2007 Parker Fly Deluxe
2001 Yamaha DG60
No cool quotes now...
'07 Fly Deluxe- Dusty Black
'10 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Plus
'11 Suhr Modern Custom (ON ORDER)
'10 Mesa/Boogie Mark V head
'00s Randall MTS 2x12
TC Electronic Flashback Delay/ISP Decimator
...and some strange beautiful secrets...

Ovation VXT Guitars

Offline loumt123

Ovation VXT Guitars
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2007, 07:20:04 AM »
looks like a standard singlecut to me

Ovation VXT Guitars

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
Ovation VXT Guitars
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2007, 07:20:48 AM »
I have played one. It sounded very good. Acoustic tones on the vxt sounded more acoustic than a Fly's piezos do. The quality was there too.

But it is in no way comparable to a Fly in Playability.

Overall, I would much rather have the Fly. I am hopeful there will be mods/upgrades for the Flys' Parker/Fishman piezo as technology improves.
It certainly isn't bad now, but I could see it getting obsolete as technology improves on acoustic reproduction.
That's assuming it is the "acoustic" tone you are after. Apparantly Ken originally never thought of it exactly that way. He just thought of it as another great sounding tone which is somewhat more acoustic like. Of course it was eventually marketed that way though.

We have talked about this before.

http://forums.parkerguitars.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5013&SearchTerms=ovation+vxt

Custom '03 Hardtail MoJarzio(Mojo with stock Dimarzio's); Custom '03 Hardtail Artist;Custom '98 Artist w Duncans;Ruby Red Fly Deluxe 2000; Gorgeous Gibson ES137(4sale); 1974 K.Yari DY85; SchecterDisposable; Martin Backpacker/paddle combo;VoxAD30VT;SWR California Blonde
A few Flys in my soup

Ovation VXT Guitars

Offline jamrcat

Ovation VXT Guitars
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2007, 11:58:51 AM »
quote:
We have talked about this before.
The RMC mod in my Artist has superior acoustic tone than the stock fishman piezo. I haven't even plugged it into a synth yet! Will it be obsolete? Probably already is, but I am going to enjoy it right up until they pry it from my cold stiff hands! [:D][:D][:D]

Oh...I forgot to mention: It is a real guitar!!!

2FlyBob (Thanks Paul!)

jamrcat
Butte, Montana
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 12:03:59 PM by jamrcat »
"A Fly for each hand!"

Ovation VXT Guitars

Offline mountaindewaddict

Ovation VXT Guitars
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2007, 04:00:59 PM »
quote:
What makes the Fly unique is its construction, not its electrics.

I don't own a Fly, but I'd have to agree.  It was the shape that first caught my eye (and the fact that Phil Keaggy has one), but ultimately it is the construction and innovation that has me slavishly drooling for a Fly Mojo Flame!

MountainDewAddict (Casey)

Gear:
Parker P-44, Ibanez GAX 70, Takamine G-Series,  Digitech GNX4, Yamaha Magicstomp, Crate Powerblock 150, Various other assorted pedals and gizmos

"Remember, if at first you don't succeed, you're doing it wrong."

God Bless!
Casey

Gear: Parker Fly Deluxe, Parker PDF60, Way Huge, Digitech / Hardwire, Line 6, Source Audio,T-Rex, and TC Electronic Pedals, Egnater amps, other stuff... God Bless!

Ovation VXT Guitars

Offline jamrcat

Ovation VXT Guitars
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2007, 10:02:39 AM »
quote:
What makes the Fly unique is its construction, not its electrics.

The Fly shape and construction is unique, but if I just wanted a unique looking guitar I would've bought an Alembic or Turner etc. I love the shape of my Fly and I love the electronics, but what I really love even more is the whole package: the design, features, woods, playability, lack of weight, funny shaped headstock, piezo system.......it's the whole package not just the construction alone! IMHO [:)]

2FlyBob (Thanks Paul!)

jamrcat
Butte, Montana
"A Fly for each hand!"

Ovation VXT Guitars

Offline mountaindewaddict

Ovation VXT Guitars
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2007, 10:22:16 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by jamrcat
 ... what I really love even more is the whole package: the design, features, woods, playability, lack of weight, funny shaped headstock, piezo system.......it's the whole package not just the construction alone! IMHO [:)]

I stand corrected.  Thanks!  Please note, I don't have a Fly (YET!), nor have I had the great good fortune to play one (I need to get out more), so I'm trying to do my best to appreciate all the good things about my P44 and imagine what it'd be like if it was a Fly.  If anyone here wants to help my appreciation more by sending me one...[:D]

MountainDewAddict (Casey)

Gear:
Parker P-44, Ibanez GAX 70, Takamine G-Series,  Digitech GNX4, Yamaha Magicstomp, Crate Powerblock 150, Various other assorted pedals and gizmos

"Remember, if at first you don't succeed, you're doing it wrong."

God Bless!
Casey

Gear: Parker Fly Deluxe, Parker PDF60, Way Huge, Digitech / Hardwire, Line 6, Source Audio,T-Rex, and TC Electronic Pedals, Egnater amps, other stuff... God Bless!

Ovation VXT Guitars

Offline jamrcat

Ovation VXT Guitars
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2007, 01:00:02 PM »
Casey, I wasn't trying to correct anybody - just sharing my thoughts! I value others opinions - that's what makes this forum so good. We can see things differently and yet respect other views! I agree someone should send you a Fly, I just don't want it to be mine! [:D]

2FlyBob (Thanks Paul!)

jamrcat
Butte, Montana
"A Fly for each hand!"

Ovation VXT Guitars

Offline doombilly

• http://illicitizen.com
Ovation VXT Guitars
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2007, 01:47:38 PM »
Kind of reminds me of my Yamaha AEX5000 except way fancier (and way more expensive). I bet they end up selling quite a few of them.

http://myspace.com/illicitizen

Ovation VXT Guitars

Offline Emster

Ovation VXT Guitars
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2011, 12:58:32 AM »
I have an Ovation VXT and all the trashing is just trash. It is a wonderful insturment. Only wish I have is that it had coil taps. Look at the vid of them making it: basically handmade by real craftsmen! I got mine for $780 shipped from Adirondack music in upstate New York.
I assume if chip ever goes I can pop in a new Fishman power chip without too much hassle.
Comparing this with acoustic ovations is like comparing Fender acoustics to judge their strats. It doesn't work.
remember you're usually only one fret away from a good note

Ovation VXT Guitars

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
Ovation VXT Guitars
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2011, 06:50:46 AM »
At the 800 dollar price point, I agree with you Emster.

Of course they are two very different guitars in different categories.

The trash talk is just a by product of those of us that are Flyaholics.

A few Flys in my soup
A few Flys in my soup