Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Newest "flyBOB" Additions  (Read 6604 times)

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
Newest "flyBOB" Additions
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2007, 07:43:04 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by jamrcat

I've been resisting the collecting Fly's syndrome. I'm stuck at two and staying away from the evil ebay. Just too tempting right now. But now I see the 2FlyBob has already started to evolve and I find myself wanting more of them! These could be famous someday and here I am with the opportunity to get maybe a Pre CBS 2FlyBob that could be worth thousnads someday! Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! [:D] I'm enjoying mine Paul, what number is it, I see there is no serial numbers. Wow, I have a Pre serial number 2FlyBob. I could already be rich and not know it! [:D]

Your problem will be authenticating it should I leave planet Earth. Maybe you should send it back to me so I can mark it as serial #2 and sign it! [:D]

quote:
just out of interest paul, will the 1flybob looper be able to bypass the effects loop totally when you just want to use the clean channel on the amp? the reason i am asking is basically i was looking for a box that i can setup my Boss multi effects processor onto a effects loop, and have the abillity to switch out of the circuit and go direct to my Marshall for its own clean channel/overdriven stage. and possibly whilst im at it have a Piezo output also, to totally get rid of the y cable also. Is this possible? i may be interested at a later date to do such a thing.

Yep, it's set up so you can bypass both loops, and you would still be able dump the Y-cord using either the 1flyBOB-D section or the A/B looper section (two seperate loops, one for piezo pickups, one for mag pickups). This particular box is set up so that you are either using the looper section or the 1flyBOB-D section. I should be done with this one by the end of the coming week. [8D]

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams
« Last Edit: April 29, 2007, 07:47:20 PM by Paul Marossy »

Offline portnoy

• http://www.facebook.com/pages/Huntingdon-United-Kingdom/MusicStreetUK/193947947906?ref=ts
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2007, 07:51:04 PM »
thanks paul, i shall contact you when i am looking for something like that to be made. Its so hard to find the right swich boxes around. and i dont have the knowledge to make them myself. I'm glad we have your skills to hand [:D]

Kavan,

07' Fly deluxe - ice blue burst
Marshall Vintage modern 100w head + 4x12 cabinet
Orange tiny terror (soonish)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2007, 07:53:03 PM by portnoy »

Offline Paul Marossy

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2007, 07:53:26 PM »
quote:
thanks paul, i shall contact you when i am looking for something like that to be made. Its so hard to find the right swich boxes around. and i dont have the knowledge to make them myself.

Cool. You know where to find me when you're ready for one. [;)]

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams

Offline bno

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2007, 09:10:36 PM »
Wait a minute - you made my looper!  That looks too cool.

Anywaayyy.  Here's another reason for the FlyBOBs - you're not limited to the cable run of the original cable - you can use any reasonable length stereo guitar cable (I'll carry a 10' and 25' - a 10' for a tight stage and a 25' if I have room to move).  The 2Fly is great if you're using two guitars (its a Fly A/B box) and they don't have to both be Flys, I'll be using one Fly and one vintage Gretsch set up for slide... that is until I get a hardtail.
'94 Fly Deluxe
Listen first, then play.

Offline Paul Marossy

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2007, 09:36:27 PM »
quote:
Wait a minute - you made my looper! That looks too cool.

I thought of you when I undertook the project. I guess I could make a super looper that would incorporate all those things you want into one box, or just build you a seperate looper pedal... [:0]

quote:
Anywaayyy. Here's another reason for the FlyBOBs - you're not limited to the cable run of the original cable - you can use any reasonable length stereo guitar cable (I'll carry a 10' and 25' - a 10' for a tight stage and a 25' if I have room to move).

Yep, that's right. I haven't really mentioned that because I thought that would be kind of obvious... [;)]

quote:
The 2Fly is great if you're using two guitars (its a Fly A/B box) and they don't have to both be Flys, I'll be using one Fly and one vintage Gretsch set up for slide... that is until I get a hardtail

I think you might have a problem using the Gretsch because the stereo jack has the tip as piezo and the ring as the magnetic pickups. So... when you plug a regular guitar into the jack, it will send that guitar's signal thru the piezo signal path. I could revise that so the second guitar is set up for a standard guitar rather than a second Fly. What do you think?

Now, based on how my Mojo Nitefly is wired, I have been operating under the assumption that all stereo Parkers have the tip as piezo and the ring as magnetic PUPs. Anyone who wants to verify how their guitar is actually wired would really help me out. If I find out that it varies, I might have to include a "reverse inputs" switch/jack on these things... [8D]

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams
« Last Edit: April 29, 2007, 09:43:53 PM by Paul Marossy »

Offline bno

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2007, 09:49:31 AM »
quote:
I think you might have a problem using the Gretsch because the stereo jack has the tip as piezo and the ring as the magnetic pickups. So... when you plug a regular guitar into the jack, it will send that guitar's signal thru the piezo signal path. I could revise that so the second guitar is set up for a standard guitar rather than a second Fly. What do you think?
That's right - tip piezo, ring mags.  I had forgotten about that but with all the time you've already put in didn't want to bring it up. I was either going to wire a special stereo cable, make a little box or throw a mini-DPDT inside the BOB.  Someday (soon, I hope) there will be a hardtail Fly in the arsenal so I can use alternate tunings.
'94 Fly Deluxe
Listen first, then play.

Offline Paul Marossy

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2007, 10:15:04 AM »
quote:
That's right - tip piezo, ring mags. I had forgotten about that but with all the time you've already put in didn't want to bring it up. I was either going to wire a special stereo cable, make a little box or throw a mini-DPDT inside the BOB. Someday (soon, I hope) there will be a hardtail Fly in the arsenal so I can use alternate tunings.

The little mini-DPDT inside might be the best (temporary) solution.

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams

Offline sfw

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2007, 06:36:03 PM »
Hey Paul,

Here is something someone asked me today.

If you use a stereo cable to the 1FlyBOB and it splits to two mono's, is there a way to also have the piezo summed into the Mag stream like putting in a mono cable into the FLY?

Sounds like another little switch to me?

I've got a local guitar store interested, as they are Parker and Piezo people. I'm working out some of the details on what they might want. When we finish with the "brainstorming", I write it up and you can work with them directly on all the stuff. They are good guys, a little hyper sometimes, but who isn't

- Scott

Fly Artist (purchase fund started)
NiteFly '97
P6; PM10; PM20; Franken-Fenders
Wiggles Murray, Barbie Electric w/matching mic, American Idol electric, Pink Hello Kitty
- Scott

PM10; Few Nitefly's; Franken-Fenders
Wiggles Murray, Barbie Electric w/matching mic, American Idol electric, Pink Hello Kitty

Offline Paul Marossy

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2007, 07:57:45 PM »
quote:
Hey Paul,

Here is something someone asked me today.

If you use a stereo cable to the 1FlyBOB and it splits to two mono's, is there a way to also have the piezo summed into the Mag stream like putting in a mono cable into the FLY?

Sounds like another little switch to me?

You should be able to do that with a switch that connects the ring to ground. That's basically what happens when you plug a mono cord into a stereo Fly... [8D]

quote:
I've got a local guitar store interested, as they are Parker and Piezo people. I'm working out some of the details on what they might want. When we finish with the "brainstorming", I write it up and you can work with them directly on all the stuff. They are good guys, a little hyper sometimes, but who isn't

Do they do online business? My eventual goal, if there is enough of a demand, is to start a Parker Accessory business with professionally finished enclosures and all that. That way, all I have to do is wire the stuff up and maybe one day I'll have to hire some help. Unless US Music Corp wants to subsidize me and I'll manage the whole thing. Anything is possible, I suppose... [:0]

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams

Offline DrJeff

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2007, 10:33:30 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by jamrcat

I have a Pre serial number 2FlyBob. I could already be rich and not know it! [:D]

Now, I'm worried about scuffing mine up. Guess I need to order another one to use. [:)]1997 Sunburst Nitefly SA
2000 Metallic Red Fly Deluxe w/Roland Mod
Rgds,
Jeff

Offline Paul Marossy

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2007, 02:19:53 PM »
Here's an update:

I decided to build a dual looper (one for each type of pickup) into this enclosure. All I need to finish it is my footswitches.

I just built this one for a guy with a Warrior guitar. It has a piezo mute switch in it per his request.

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams
« Last Edit: May 06, 2007, 02:20:45 PM by Paul Marossy »

Offline 908ssp

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2007, 02:26:31 PM »
Hey Paul can you get the LEDs up closer to the back edge? I don't think people want to be stepping on the LEDs if they can help it. I would move the switch to the top surface again as close as possible to the back edge. Move the line input and output jacks to the back panel that way if someone bought two of these they could place then right next to each other instead of having the jacks from both units spacing them apart. I am of course assuming you are buying that housing new and plan on making more if not ignore my suggestions. [:I][;)]

[^]

Alex

[/img]
« Last Edit: May 06, 2007, 03:20:41 PM by 908ssp »
Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Offline Paul Marossy

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2007, 02:57:40 PM »
quote:
Hey Paul can you get the LEDs up closer to the back edge? I don't think people want to be stepping on the LEDs if they can help it. I would move the switch to the top surface again as close as possible to the back edge. Move the line input and output jacks to the back panel that way if someone bought two of these they could place then right next to each other instead of having the jacks from both units spacing them apart. I am of course assuming you are buying that housing new and plan on making more if not ignor my sugesttions.

I assume that you are referring to the chrome looper thing? That's just a one-off thing I made to use that enclosure for something. I'm just using the existing openings. I think this box was for an amp footswitch, kind of like the ones Marshall use. I like having the loops going out the back and the input and outputs kind of like a typical stompbox (input on right, output on left). I can customize to whatever the client wants, however. [8D]

EDIT: Oh, and on the LEDs, they'll be out of the way once the footswitches are in. You're not really going to be able to step on them. And, they are in a metal mounting, they're not going anywhere! [;)]

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams
« Last Edit: May 06, 2007, 02:59:20 PM by Paul Marossy »

Offline 908ssp

« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2007, 03:23:21 PM »
I avoid any pedal with a jack on the side. [;)] there are plenty of alternatives with the jacks on the top edge where they should be. [:D]

I said I avoid them sometimes you have no alternatives.

[^]

Alex

[/img]
Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Offline Paul Marossy

« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2007, 03:25:18 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by 908ssp

I avoid any pedal with a jack on the side. [;)] there are plenty of alternatives with the jacks on the top edge where they should be. [:D]

Oh, you're one of those types... [;)]

Yeah, that's cool. I prefer the traditional layout, but I can make a box anyway that the customer wants it to be. [8D]

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams