Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Stereo guitar lead, what to look for?  (Read 1515 times)

Offline 791979

Stereo guitar lead, what to look for?
« on: April 30, 2007, 02:19:08 AM »
I have recently got a '98 Classic, and this morning put together a splitter box from some odds & ends I have lying around here.

I made up a stereo cable, using some reasonable quality mic. cable, and it's all working just fine.

But, I know from previous experiences that the qualites of a guitar lead  can change the sound a bit, so I'm keen to use the most appropriate cable I can find.  What should I be looking for in a stereo cable to get the best sound from my Classic?

Is this less relevant as the guitar is active?  Is the mag. side of things active as well as the piezo?

Thanks
« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 02:41:37 AM by 791979 »
---------------------
'98 Parker Fly Classic
Ibanez RG550
MIJ Fender Telecaster
Cornford MK50H
Cornford Hurricane (for Sale)
Matamp C7 Deluxe (maybe for sale one day soon!)
Session Sessionette 75

Offline 908ssp

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 08:14:44 AM »
I bet your cable is fine. There is some over the top cork sniffing when it comes to cables. Many people aren't judging with their ears but with their pocket books that is if it cost more it must be better well it isn't always so. I made my own stereo cable from bulk with Dayton professional microphone cable and it sounds fine I certainly am not looking for any more high end in it. I recently bought a professionally made curly cord more for the convenience then for the sound I can't hear any difference. Your cable is probably fine.[;)]

[^]

Alex

[/img]
Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 09:21:10 AM »
From what I understand, the average guitar cable has a capacitance of about 40-50pF per foot. So, a 25 foot cable would equal about 0.001 to 0.0012uF of capacitance. That's not much at all, most people probably can't truly hear a difference between a cable that has 30pF or 50pF per capacitance per foot.

Enter pschyoacoustics. The human mind is a funny thing. Just because brand A claims that they have only 20pF of capacitance per foot of cable vs. Brand B which has 40pF per foot, which might well be true, many people will claim that they can hear an amazing difference between the two, when in reality it may not even be perceptible to 95% of people that do a blindfold A/B test. This is especially true if you have been exposed to loud noise levels for many years - the high frequencies are the first to go - and cable capacitance attacks the highest frequencies first.

To me, it's all hype based on a true statement that has very little weight. It's like saying a tube amp is better because it uses solid core wire. It's just ridiculous to me. *rolling eyes*

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams
« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 09:22:36 AM by Paul Marossy »

Offline 791979

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 03:29:43 AM »
Thanks guys,  I'll stick with the cable I have then.  Just as well as I have about 50 metres left!

'98 Parker Fly Classic
Cornford MK50H
Cornford Hurricane
Matamp C7
Roland Microcube
---------------------
'98 Parker Fly Classic
Ibanez RG550
MIJ Fender Telecaster
Cornford MK50H
Cornford Hurricane (for Sale)
Matamp C7 Deluxe (maybe for sale one day soon!)
Session Sessionette 75