Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Preventative maintenance ?  (Read 1648 times)

Offline 791979

Preventative maintenance ?
« on: May 03, 2007, 02:50:01 AM »
My used Classic has a little surface rust on the base of the bridge adjustment screws, and also on the base of the trem bar holder.  I'm sure it's not big deal, but I'm considering cleaning this up and it got me to thinking if there is any preventative maintenance I should perform on my Fly to keep it sweet, maybe so points need lubing up, or electrical contact cleaning.

Is there anything I should be looking at.

'98 Parker Fly Classic
Ibanez RG550
MIJ Fender Telecaster
Cornford MK50H
Cornford Hurricane (for Sale)
Matamp C7
Roland Microcube
---------------------
'98 Parker Fly Classic
Ibanez RG550
MIJ Fender Telecaster
Cornford MK50H
Matamp C7 Deluxe (maybe for sale one day soon!)
Session Sessionette 75

Offline LooseChange

• http://www.fydamps.com
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 05:53:53 AM »
I thought that stuff is Stainless Steel??  Do your hands sweat a lot when you play?

1995 Fly Deluxe (Emerald Green)
1999 Fly Deluxe (Emerald Green)
I like green
Tube amps make great noise...
www.loosechange.freeservers.com
**** My handle, LooseChange, has absolutely NO affiliation with the political group of the same name spreading conspiracy propaganda regarding the events of 911. I was here first!!!
1995 Emerald Green Fly Deluxe (Beaten and Modded but Loved)
1997 Sunburst Nitefly NFV/4
I like tubes... Check out all my DIY amps:
http://www.fydamps.com

Offline 791979

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 06:30:04 AM »
I don't think that it stainless, but maybe this is just a little dirt.  I (luckily) don't have corrosive sweat, but the previous owner may have had nasty sweat.  Anyway, here's a little pic:

'98 Parker Fly Classic
Ibanez RG550
MIJ Fender Telecaster
Cornford MK50H
Matamp C7
Roland Microcube
---------------------
'98 Parker Fly Classic
Ibanez RG550
MIJ Fender Telecaster
Cornford MK50H
Matamp C7 Deluxe (maybe for sale one day soon!)
Session Sessionette 75

Offline 908ssp

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 10:16:57 AM »
Those are good suggestions. I had a big clean up operation yesterday. My S2 came from Florida whether it was the salt air or the extra sweat from the hot climate the thing need some serious work. I had to remove all the screws from the humbucker to get the rust off with a Dremal and a stainless brush. I had to remove the saddles for the same treatment. I had to replace the 5 way selector it was beyond hope with rust. None of my guitars have ever shown rust.

Anyway as to the original question cleaning with Martin cleaner and a soft rag should really be all that is required. There is no raw wood that needs occasional oil on our Fly guitars. I use a 1 inch soft bristle brush to remove dust from the trem and in between the strings when needed. The bearings in the trem are sealed and might need replacing but it isn't worth the effort to lube them.

If you live in a seriously hot climate and the guitar gets wet then you'll need more maintenance so you have to be the judge of that. Wiping the guitar down after playing should be routine if that is the case.[;)]

[^]

Alex

[/img]
Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG