Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 2x12 versus 4x12  (Read 3992 times)

Offline David Tomkins

• Advanced Member
2x12 versus 4x12
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2007, 02:17:23 AM »
awesome replies guys![:)]
i'd taken a break from the forum recently thinking i had heard almost all there was to know but i'm wrong again!!  ta!

the amp is at torso height and the other day in rehearsal the other guitarist asked/told me to turn down.  yeah, go figure!!  ok, he has more headroom, but......[?]

iwas using the cab open backed so i might put the backboards back on. a 2x12 extension cab would be the best bet as it would be more flexible in terms of not being needed for small gigs and might be cheaper (although $800 for a 2x12 carvin legacy cab seems a bit steep - it's what we have to pay over here))

anyway the 'argument' has entered the realms of the hypothetical because i was kicked out of the band the other day for not being able to commit myself to the band enough due to my job and - wait for it- the fact i have a life!!  i hava a job, a couple of commitments and holidays booked, occasionally find it hard to practice 8 hours a day[:D], and didn't have big enough gear.  the fact that i questioned the commitment of the drummer who went off for 5 straight weeks[:(!], and asked the singer if she wanted to change the key of a song because she "screeched" towards the end didn't help[B)][:D].  Nor the fact that i questioned why the singer and keys player were allowed to have music/lyrics in front of them, but i wasn't.  And they call reading off a page 'learning the song'.  hmmmm......[?]  i really must work on my diplomacy skills!  i guess being the only one who never missed, or was late for rehearsal doesn't count for much these days.[:(]  oh, and i was the only one who could actually PLAY the tricky guitar bits in the songs......

i'm still friends with them (i think) and i'm only a little bitter but......

2005 Green Quilted Maple Custom Mojo, 2006 Parker Fly T-Shirt, 2006 Parker Fly Baseball Cap.  A triple-whammy of Parker goodness!!
2005 Green Quilted Maple Custom Mojo signed by Steve Vai, 2006 Parker Fly T-Shirt, 2006 Parker Fly Baseball Cap.  A triple-whammy of Parker goodness!!

2x12 versus 4x12

Offline 908ssp

2x12 versus 4x12
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2007, 07:54:00 AM »
David I am sorry to hear that. Unless you really want to give up the band thing the old adage of get back on the horse applies I think. Find another band certainly don't wait for them to come to their senses. [;)]

[^]

Alex

[/img]
Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

2x12 versus 4x12

Offline David Tomkins

• Advanced Member
2x12 versus 4x12
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2007, 09:58:23 AM »
that's life in the topsy turvy world of rock'n'roll (as one famous cricket bat wielding manager said).  their loss.
just when i thought i was going to be able to advertise my Fly to millions of fans......

get back up on the horse is good advice.  it means you don't have the sun in your eyes when you are shooting them off their horses!!

2005 Green Quilted Maple Custom Mojo, 2006 Parker Fly T-Shirt, 2006 Parker Fly Baseball Cap.  A triple-whammy of Parker goodness!!
2005 Green Quilted Maple Custom Mojo signed by Steve Vai, 2006 Parker Fly T-Shirt, 2006 Parker Fly Baseball Cap.  A triple-whammy of Parker goodness!!

2x12 versus 4x12

Offline telecasterkid

• http://www.burningindecember.com
2x12 versus 4x12
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2007, 06:07:34 PM »
I will tell you a true story. I used to use all 4x12's, stacked up, side by side and so on. Until I found a little honey by the name of Mesa 2x12 Halfback. Weighs almost nothing and I have loaded it with Celestion G12M70's (my fav). Open top and closed bottom.
 Well all the 4x12's are long gone and everytime I carry that Mesa cab into a venue, I hear and see all the snickering and comments and just quietly setup my lone little 2x12 and then you should see the reaction after I crank it up. Usually...something like :0
Don't worry about those guys, that's the same mentality, "I can't posiibly sound good unless I have two or four stacks....blah, blah,"
You have a great amp. The Legacy is tried and true and if Mr. Vai can use the same combos on stage I guess that's enough said, right?
Strike while the iron is hot....Go find another band and keep on rockin'

Kevin Schertell
www.burningindecember.com
www.myspace.com/burnin12
CD "No Way Out" Available now!

Music Boulevard, Inc.
1232-2 Blanding Blvd.
Orange Park, Fl. 32065
904-276-2520
musicboulevard@earthlink.net
Owner/President
Kevin Schertell
www.burningindecember.com
www.myspace.com/burnin12
CD "No Way Out" Available now!

Music Boulevard, Inc.
1232-2 Blanding Blvd.
Orange Park, Fl. 32065
904-276-2520
musicboulevard@earthlink.net
Owner/President

2x12 versus 4x12

Offline David Tomkins

• Advanced Member
2x12 versus 4x12
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2007, 04:35:22 AM »
cheers guys!