Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Parker with a Marshall JMP??  (Read 5271 times)

Offline 908ssp

Parker with a Marshall JMP??
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2011, 09:30:57 AM »
I really don't know that much about the JMP1 just not interested in anything but the vintage stuff. I was under the impression that there was no digital modeling and the only diodes were switching diodes. That the midi control was over switching and controls but not tone shaping that was true valve discrete old tech but I might be wrong. Maybe I am confusing it with a previous version.

Also my understanding of the power amp is that it is basically the power section from an old plexi style amp phase inverter, power tubes and output transformer so it should function the same way.
Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Offline ekornbakke

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2011, 08:05:58 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by 908ssp

I really don't know that much about the JMP1 just not interested in anything but the vintage stuff. I was under the impression that there was no digital modeling and the only diodes were switching diodes. That the midi control was over switching and controls but not tone shaping that was true valve discrete old tech but I might be wrong. Maybe I am confusing it with a previous version.

Also my understanding of the power amp is that it is basically the power section from an old plexi style amp phase inverter, power tubes and output transformer so it should function the same way.

Alex

You are right Alex. The JMP-1 is by no means a modelling amp, it is a true tube pre-amp. The midi-part is also only about changing patches etc. But it is true however that the JMP-1 does not use the tubes to its full extent, most of the time the actual distortion comes from the diodes, not the tubes.

There is a famous mod for this pre-amp by the swedish tech Tommy Folkesson, called Folkesson-mod. This mod changes the pre-amp so that there is less amplification in the IC-circuits and more in the tubes. (Disclaimer: I don't know if I reproduced that information in a sensible way or not) I guess this makes it closer to a classic Marshall amp.

Personally, I use an ADA mp-1 preamp. It is a similar kind of pre-amp, but it truly uses the tubes in a classic fashion (no diode dist) and to me it is much warmer and more versatile.

-----
Parker Fly Mojo 08, Summer!
Parker Fly Mojo Quilt 08, Transparent Green Burst
Parker Fly Deluxe 01, Majik Blue
-----
Parker Fly Mojo 08, Summer!
Parker Fly Mojo Quilt 08, Transparent Green Burst
Parker Fly Deluxe 01, Majik Blue
Parker Fly Artist 97, Sitka Spruce

Offline bembamboo

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2011, 01:11:12 AM »
Thinking about a golden age project 1073 half rack pre for the piezzo.  300 bucs.  Neve style preamplifier.