Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Re-Adjustment  (Read 2965 times)

Offline jam2045

Re-Adjustment
« on: March 18, 2005, 10:34:18 AM »
Hello,
I have a new fly deluxe(2004) which was set with very low action when i received it and not a single fret buzz. After i restrung it, (with the bridge home) i noticed buzz a bit everywhere...I wish i didn't have to raise the bridge's action because it was perfectly buzzless in the first place. There is absolutely no Parker  technician around where i live unfortunately.
Thank you for any useful advice and long life to this forum  :-)

Re-Adjustment

Offline telecasterkid

• http://www.burningindecember.com
Re-Adjustment
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2005, 04:35:46 PM »
It may very possibly be the set of strings you put on. I don't know what brand and gauge you use but keep in mind string gauge, tuning and types of strings all react on the guitar differently.

Also the weather may or may not have caused the neck to move slightly. In my experience with a Deluxe and a Classic I think I have adjusted the neck only once in about 2-3 years. Parkers seem to be very stable instruments and don't require constant tweaking. I did have on my deluxe not long ago the bridge not quite locked all the way and had a similar situation. I unlocked it and then locked it down (down-up I think) That solved that problem.

I used to use Dean Markley Blue Steels 9-46. I found that I was getting too many dead strings right out of the box and tried DR's on a recommendation. I started with the Tite-Fit 9-46 (round core) and then switched to the Hi-Beam 9-46 (hex core) which are stiffer feeling. Also when you wind the string make sure that you keep them as straight as possible when you string so you don't get a twist in them. A twist will cause the string to vibrate funny and can cause fret buzz. Not an exact science by any means but after many years of playing I stick with one brand of strings and always weatherproof my guitars so as to reduce the amount of tweaking required.

Also you can talk to Parker and they can give you recommendations on setups and read the Fly manual carefully in the setup section. Very useful.

Good Luck,
Kevin S.
www.burningindecember.com
Kevin Schertell
www.burningindecember.com
www.myspace.com/burnin12
CD "No Way Out" Available now!

Music Boulevard, Inc.
1232-2 Blanding Blvd.
Orange Park, Fl. 32065
904-276-2520
musicboulevard@earthlink.net
Owner/President

Re-Adjustment

Offline 908ssp

Re-Adjustment
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2005, 11:30:05 PM »
You should have the manual it does a pretty good job of explaining the setup. I will guess here but I have a feeling you put lighter strings on it and haven't readjusted the bridge. The bridge moves in an arc so if you put lighter strings on it the saddles will be lower relative to the fret board. If you adjust the trem bridge spring the bridge will rise up and fix your buzzes. The original Fly both of mine have an external wheel for making this adjustment because it does have to be touched up ever so often. I know the new Guitar doesn't have that but I don't know how they are adjusted.[;)]

1996 Parker Fly Deluxe
1998 Parker Fly Classic
200? Parker NiteFly S/S/H
2004 Maven Peal Ganesha
2004 Marshall 4x12 Scumbag
« Last Edit: March 18, 2005, 11:30:46 PM by 908ssp »
Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Re-Adjustment

Offline jam2045

Re-Adjustment
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2005, 08:55:01 AM »
Thank you guys for replying so quickly!, and for your advice. My Fly was not shipped with daddario 9-42 (as the manual says it is) i will call Edroman today to find out what brand it was(the strings bases were all silver).They were 9-42 though and i have a N0 9 spring inside that matches.I replaced them with daddario 9-42 which is what i used to use on my previous fly. I guess i will try to restring again now (maybe some are dead as you mentionned?). The balance wheel is now internal on the fly ,they say you should have 10 visible threads, mine was and is set(i haven't touched it yet) to 7 visible threads. should i tighten it to get the bridge to "fixed" this time before restringing?(the manual says once: you should always string in "fixed mode" and further: you should string in either "fixed" or "bend down only" mode,which is how i restrung the first time.When you say "locked all the way" you mean "fixed" right? and when you say "weatherproof" you mean store them in a hard shell case for example?
Once again thank you for your help, analysis and time.

jam

cypreene@yahoo.com

Re-Adjustment

Offline 908ssp

Re-Adjustment
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2005, 11:38:17 AM »
When you take the strings off the spring will push the bridge against the plastic bridge stop. The stop should be in the fixed position when you change strings. When you have your new strings tuned to pitch if you move the plastic stop aside so that the bridge floats the pitch should not change if it does the spring is not adjusted correctly. If you can pull up on the bar and change pitch with the stop down or in the fixed position then the spring needs adjusting.

1996 Parker Fly Deluxe
1998 Parker Fly Classic
200? Parker NiteFly S/S/H
2004 Maven Peal Ganesha
2004 Marshall 4x12 Scumbag
« Last Edit: March 19, 2005, 11:39:54 AM by 908ssp »
Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG