Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: PTP Conversion 1st gen With passive Mags  (Read 20352 times)

Offline chatwithmrhyde

PTP Conversion 1st gen With passive Mags
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2011, 08:45:10 PM »
I recently posted this in the section for P-Series guitars but then I came across this post, so I was hoping someone might be able to help me with my problem i'm having with my 2009 P44V:

I have a Parker P44V which has developed a strange problem that I currently have been unable to resolve. I was hoping for some input from anyone who may have experienced something similiar or have suggestions as to what may be causing it.

During practice with the group I play with, after having been playing for about an hour, I stared to hear some static coming through the PA. At first, the static was very infrequent, but got more frequent the more I played, until it piezo signal coming from the Fishman bridge eventually dropped out completely.

I replaced the battery, and everything was fine for a while, but after further playing it started again.

I noticed that by pulling the guitar plug out of the input jack approximately 1/8" to 1/4", I was able to get the signal from both sets of P/U's. I talked to Parker about the possibility of the input jack being bad and decided to purchase one to swap out the original.

I have just installed the new one, and am having the same exact symptoms. If I take the battery out and then put it back in, things are fine for a while and then I start losing the piezo signal as before and eventually lose it all together. I think the volume control for the Fishman has a blend circuit board on it. Could the problem be coming from it? Could it be grouding-related?

I am afraid that I may have to send it to Parker for diagnosis and repair. Any thoughts or comments as to where this may be originating would be greatly appreciated.

Paul Marossy responded to my original post that the active electronics may be going bad and said if my guitar was configured like the refined Fly I may able to replace the Power Chip for around $90.00.

Any other thoughts on this would be appreciated.  What is the correlation between pulling the guitar cord out of the input jack slightly and getting both signals back?

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2011, 09:38:20 AM »
Hey chatwithmrhyde, this is thread is for replacing the original electronics in the PRE-refined Fly to a point-to-point wiring scheme. Your P44V is a completely different animal, and no point-to-point conversion is needed on your guitar.

quote:
Originally posted by chatwithmrhyde

What is the correlation between pulling the guitar cord out of the input jack slightly and getting both signals back?

It could be that your jack has a loose connection, maybe one of the tabs inside is not making contact very well. On the Fishman PowerChip, it has an IC chip on it which is a solid state "smart switch" that can sense if you have a stereo or mono cord plugged into the jack. Maybe because there is a loose connection, it's fooling that chip into thinking a stereo cord is plugged into it. If that were the case, it would send the piezos straight to ground (if you were using a single amp & mono cord), which is the same as turning a volume control all the way down. Pulling the cord out would reset the "switch" and then both outputs would work for a little while until your jack connection went intermittent.

If that IC chip were faulty, it wouldn't switch properly and you could get that kind of behaviour as well. The only way to fix that is to replace the PowerChip.

So it's either the jack or the PowerChip causing your problem.

What is your normal setup? Are you running one or two amps? Have you tried different cords to see if your guitar always does this no matter what?

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
http://www.DIYguitarist.com
http://www.myspace.com/j201jams
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 10:02:46 AM by Paul Marossy »

Offline 908ssp

« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2011, 10:20:22 AM »
Try different amps. My smart switch would work with one amp but not another. I discussed this with Fishman and they admitted it was a known issue. Some amps impedance did not trigger the smart switch. That is the reason I worked out the full time stereo wiring for the Fishman Powerchip and Fly guitar.
Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2011, 10:34:55 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by 908ssp

Try different amps. My smart switch would work with one amp but not another. I discussed this with Fishman and they admitted it was a known issue. Some amps impedance did not trigger the smart switch. That is the reason I worked out the full time stereo wiring for the Fishman Powerchip and Fly guitar.

Thanks for pointing that out! I remember that you have mentioned this in the past, but I forgot about it. [:I]

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
http://www.DIYguitarist.com
http://www.myspace.com/j201jams

Offline chatwithmrhyde

« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2011, 08:44:44 PM »
Thanks guys,I wil try different amps,and also try runnig in stereo mode.  I will let you know what I find.

Offline chatwithmrhyde

« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2011, 02:47:02 PM »
Hey guys,it appears that I have found the problem with the acoustic signal dropping out on my P44-V.  I found the "min" stereo/mono slide switch on the back of the guitar appeared to not be completely in the correct position (not all the way in the Mono position).

After sliding the switch back and forth and then moving it all the way to the mono position, after playing the guitar for over 2 hours, the acoustic signal has not dropped out.  Prior to this, I was never able to keep the signal for more than 45 minutes before it would drop out.

Any thooughts?  Thanks for the earlier posts.

Re: PTP Conversion 1st gen With passive Mags

Offline Voice Of Reason

« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2015, 03:45:47 PM »
908ssp or other regulars,

I will be sending this wiring schematics to my tech to switch my 98 Fly to PTP.

If the piezo is running in mono only, can the mag/piezo blend still work?

Thank you for any help.

Alex
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 06:30:40 PM by Voice Of Reason »
1998 Fly Classic (my only Parker)

Offline Inertia

« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2018, 01:53:03 AM »
Hi, I know this is an old post, but the photos are not available anymore in the threads i found about the battery less mod or bypassing the preamp for passive mag pickups... Im doing the mod for a nitefly m with fishman power chip... Someone could e mail me the info to do it?

Tus!! (my email carlospf22@hotmail.com :) )