Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Help with trem bar technique?  (Read 4387 times)

Offline Lwinn171

Help with trem bar technique?
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2007, 11:39:06 PM »
My pleasure... I had a Hamer Prototype with a Kahler, then later, a weird Floyd (designed to go atop a Les Paul, stud mounted). I was young and anxious to get the weirdest sounds I could out of the whammy. I listened to a lot of Adrian Belew, and just ran with it. I'm not as good at that stuff as someone of Belew's caliber, but I do have fun with the expression the whammy bar provides.

Lawrence Winn
2001 Classic, 98 Deluxe
various amps, various toys

Offline thegrigg

• http://www.wldcard.com
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2007, 02:15:31 PM »
Now matter what I try using the bar on my Fly causes the low E string to drift sharp as much as a half step. I think nut bind is the problem. I've tried Big Bend Nut Sause. I'm using 9 - 42 strings. I use my JEM for the wild wammy stuff (Voo Doo Chile, Surfin' with The Alien). I use my parker in lock mode only. Lucky the mostly classic rock I play is stop tail stuff. The parker is my go to guitar.

Any help?
98 Parker Fly Classic, Cheap Strat, White JEM, 68 Paul, Peavy JSX head, Marshall 1960A cab.
Us old guys don't know when to stop!
http://WWW.WLDCARD.COM

Offline David Tomkins

• Advanced Member
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2007, 02:04:40 AM »
do you whammy-ers find that you have to overcompensate with vibrato because of the bridge taking up slack?  i go locked for two reasons
a) the string break thing, where the other strings go out of tune ( but then ii haven't broken a string in 2 years)
b) i read that joe satriani got a fixed bridge made and was amazed at the difference in vibrato ("it sounds like ME, at last" i think were his words)

thoughts?

2005 Green Quilted Maple Custom Mojo, 2006 Parker Fly T-Shirt, 2006 Parker Fly Baseball Cap.  A triple-whammy of Parker goodness!!
2005 Green Quilted Maple Custom Mojo signed by Steve Vai, 2006 Parker Fly T-Shirt, 2006 Parker Fly Baseball Cap.  A triple-whammy of Parker goodness!!

Offline Lwinn171

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2007, 10:19:47 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by thegrigg

Now matter what I try using the bar on my Fly causes the low E string to drift sharp as much as a half step. I think nut bind is the problem. I've tried Big Bend Nut Sause. I'm using 9 - 42 strings. I use my JEM for the wild wammy stuff (Voo Doo Chile, Surfin' with The Alien). I use my parker in lock mode only. Lucky the mostly classic rock I play is stop tail stuff. The parker is my go to guitar.

Any help?

I think you are right about binding in the nut, but it could be that the ball end in the bridge is settling funny, as tension goes slack (on a dive bomb, for instance). It does seem odd that a 42 low E would bind in a Parker nut, though, as they are cut for that gauge. Maybe it wasn't quite right to begin with? I use mine pretty agressively and have only very minor tuning issues (usually none at all). I know it seems obvious, so forgive me but I must ask, are you sure it's set up properly (tension/ balance wheel)?

« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 10:29:22 AM by Lwinn171 »

Lawrence Winn
2001 Classic, 98 Deluxe

Offline Lwinn171

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2007, 10:28:54 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by David Tomkins

do you whammy-ers find that you have to overcompensate with vibrato because of the bridge taking up slack?  i go locked for two reasons
a) the string break thing, where the other strings go out of tune ( but then ii haven't broken a string in 2 years)
b) i read that joe satriani got a fixed bridge made and was amazed at the difference in vibrato ("it sounds like ME, at last" i think were his words)

thoughts?

David,
I've never even considered the vibrato question, but I don't feel it is an issue for me. I don't consciously do anything to compensate. I do sometimes compensate when doing a BIG bend up (by holding the bar, or just resting my hand on the bridge), and sometimes when doing "pedal steel" type licks where one string is bent and the other isn't, I'll do the same.

As for the string break thing, you can pretty easily reach back and throw the switch to bring it to the "home" position and stay in tune with a broken string. I've only had to do this once on stage, but it worked fine, so I just keep on using the floating set-up.

I'll add that Satriani's comments are almost identical to the ones I made about my Fly! So there you go...[8D]

« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 10:29:49 AM by Lwinn171 »

Lawrence Winn
2001 Classic, 98 Deluxe

Offline thegrigg

• http://www.wldcard.com
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2007, 04:01:31 PM »
I've tried every set up trick I can think of. Maybe I'll get a nut groove kit from Stew Mac.
For noww it's the JEM for crazy stuff.
Thanks again
98 Parker Fly Classic, Cheap Strat, White JEM, 68 Paul, Peavy JSX head, Marshall 1960A cab.
Us old guys don't know when to stop!
http://WWW.WLDCARD.COM

Offline Yoyo

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2007, 06:34:14 AM »
"Jeff Beck does some really musical bar work...."
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqmS72_PHko
The only thing that exists is this moment now.

Offline bembamboo

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2007, 02:04:06 AM »
I remember Bob Eisminger of rosewood and then greased lizard in boulder, 1967.  His strat vibrato bar was in his palm at all times, very loose, and vibrato leads were lovely, but he never dropped the bar.  I copied him with my vox "strat" and then with my first good guitar, an sg but bent the hell out of the bar in a vise, ugly but comfortable, and everthing I played was wobbly.  With a maestro fuzz thru a showman, six tens, two twelves, and a super, I played blue cheer, quicksilver, and hendrix and beck at warp volumes with feedback galore, very fun to turn into your speakers.  That'll show you what a bar is capable of. Also ruin your hearing. In 1966 Steve Dippert played a white tele with blue sparkle pick gard thru a tweed bassman, always every thing on ten.  After several teles were stolen, he switched to strats and had his bars machined to about half size to suit his style.  Go for it, you can always get a new parker bar.  I always witch about parker's vibrato, its got a different spring and the jury is still out, but has all the inherent detuning problems of existing vibrato tailpieces, and the piezo is so microphonic thru the aluminum bridge, that it even has more problems.    If Ken were going to design this ground breaking Fly guitar, he should have done more with the vibrato, or active magnetics, or incorporating  a feinten nut.  Otherwise, its the best solid body I've ever played.

Offline Lwinn171

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2007, 11:29:33 AM »
Actually, I'd say that Ken's design of the trem is better than any I've ever tried. From Kahler to Floyd's, I've always had tuning issues. Locking nuts are bad news, as far as I'm concerned. Once you get beyond the limited range of the fine tuners, you must unlock the nut, and retune the whole thing, as things go haywire once you've done that. Furthermore, the wear and tear on the trem mechanism (knife points on a Floyd, the cam on a Kahler) eventually cause the trem to settle in any of two or more spots when you let go of the bar, especially after some antics. I was constantly tapping it to restore the tuning. I haven't had this issue with the Fly.

Lawrence Winn
2001 Classic,1998 Classic
Boogie MK IV, Behringer ACX-1800, Zoom A2, various effects

Lawrence Winn
2001 Classic, 98 Deluxe