Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mac or PC?  (Read 8746 times)

Offline loumt123

Mac or PC?
« on: May 27, 2007, 03:56:07 PM »
Mac or PC for recording or just general use?

Mac or PC?

Offline lespaulreedsmith

Mac or PC?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 04:12:58 PM »
pc for now... upgrading to Mac[:p]

I'm a loner... a rebel. There's things about me you couldn't know... things about me you SHOULDN'T know...
I'm a loner... a rebel. There's things about me you couldn't know... things about me you SHOULDN'T know...

Mac or PC?

Offline titanium667

• http://www.myspace.com/humankindness
Mac or PC?
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 04:56:28 PM »
Mac, without a doubt![:D]

1999 Parker Fly Jazz for sale!

www.myspace.com/humankindness ¥ www.myspace.com/kidsafterdark

Mac or PC?

Offline davecan

• http://www.candidsounds.com
Mac or PC?
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2007, 07:10:08 PM »
In many ways they are not as different as they used to be...Intel processors, etc.  But Windows Vista is a scary OS (muchos problemas, amigo), so if I was just starting out I'd opt for a Mac....

Git on the stick, Parker kin, and rustle us up some Southern Flies 'fore we whoop yo behinds! ~
"Cotton" Candido
Dave

Mac or PC?

Offline jamrcat

Mac or PC?
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2007, 10:08:35 PM »
Shuttle Music XPC all the way baby! No problemento's in two years! That is fantastic reliability for a Music based PC! [8D]

01' Parker Fly Classic "Natural" w/SD Black Backs (Thanks Jay)
93' Parker Fly Deluxe hardtail RP "Blackie" KP Signature (Thank You! Bob & Ken)
Fender Cyber Twin, Korg AX1500G, D-Tar Mama Bear, and a 2FlyBob (Thanks Paul!)

jamrcat
Butte, Montana
"A Fly for each hand!"

Mac or PC?

Offline 908ssp

Mac or PC?
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2007, 10:16:40 PM »
I have Vista in two machines with no problems. Windows is big target so they get shot at all the time. I have seen so many Mac failures over the years but nobody talks about it you'd think they are immune they aren't.

[^]

Alex

[/img]
Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Mac or PC?

Offline prjacobs

Mac or PC?
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2007, 11:22:30 PM »
I started writing and recording music on Macs in 1985.  At that time, there wasn't really any choice, the Mac graphics and operating systems were light years ahead of PCs.  Every studio in New York City that I've been in uses Macs.  A few people that I know switched from PCs to Macs and all can't believe how much cooler Macs are to use and how much more you can do with them.  
Yes I love my Macs.  I've owned a zillion of them and wouldn't dream of ever using anything else. For general use, they're also virus free.

Mac or PC?

Offline simonlock

Mac or PC?
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2007, 12:03:50 AM »
Macs are nice. Not invinceable though. Mine crashed a few times and then Iost my entire hard drive. It was a MacBook that was a year and a half old.

Program availablility is very frustrating if you are used to using a PC. If you're ok with doing less than half the things you could with your PC its great, smooth performance and no worries with viruses.

Simon
Vancouver,BC

Mac or PC?

Offline 791979

Mac or PC?
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2007, 12:34:39 AM »
I think that for most people a PC is the better choice, more hardware & software options.  They sure have there problems, and I personally dislike Microsoft, but at the moment a PC is still the way I work.

Having said all that I am a techie geek, and worked for many years in the ICT world, I have a really strong liking for UNIX systems, and I'm tempted to go Mac in the future for this reason.

I agree with the previous comments about Macs having problems (just like the rest if the ICT world), I know quite a few professional Mac users, and they are always telling me how great they are, no viruses etc, fast, reliable.  Well I just don't buy that, I'm sure the real reason lots of "arty" types buy them because they look nice [:D]

I still do a little ICT work, and I currently have a busted iMac on my desk for repair, and a quick look on eBay will show lots of broken systems for sale.  In my experience all systems are vulnerable to hardware failure irrespective of what badge is on the box.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 01:04:18 AM by 791979 »
---------------------
'98 Parker Fly Classic
Ibanez RG550
MIJ Fender Telecaster
Cornford MK50H
Cornford Hurricane (for Sale)
Matamp C7 Deluxe (maybe for sale one day soon!)
Session Sessionette 75

Mac or PC?

Offline BrainWorm

Mac or PC?
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2007, 01:41:48 AM »
My Mac is five or six years old. No problems I can remember, unless it was a hard drive I replaced. I don't remember if it was this Mac or the one before. Hard drives now have the SMART test to let you know ahead of time they are going to fail. I installed a second hard drive for Pro Tools use. Been so long since I've had a Mac crash I would have to sit and think what to do. Ahh, yes. Hit the restart button. If I go into a recording studio and see a PC being used I get suspicious things are not top notch.

"Brainverms come crawling and creeping and eat you when you're sleeping."
"Brainverms come crawling and creeping and eat you when you're sleeping."

Mac or PC?

Offline davecan

• http://www.candidsounds.com
Mac or PC?
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2007, 07:20:46 AM »
This is one of those discussions that can get touchy fast, just search other newsgroups and you'll see all kinds of cussing and name calling, etc.  Bottom line, either system can be used for pro recording if you set it up correctly... What exactly are your intentions?  If you just want to use the computer as a recording scratch pad - i.e.- not a lot of tracks and not the highest resolution, than you can tweak either a PC or Mac to do it AND use the same machine for your general computing.  For real pro recording most people seem to need a dedicated system, i.e. - they own a separate computer for this.  
(But I could be wrong.) [:)] [:)] [:)] [:)]
PEACE!!!

Git on the stick, Parker kin, and rustle us up some Southern Flies 'fore we whoop yo behinds! ~
"Cotton" Candido
Dave

Mac or PC?

Offline titanium667

• http://www.myspace.com/humankindness
Mac or PC?
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2007, 07:46:22 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by 791979

I agree with the previous comments about Macs having problems (just like the rest if the ICT world), I know quite a few professional Mac users, and they are always telling me how great they are, no viruses etc, fast, reliable.  Well I just don't buy that, I'm sure the real reason lots of "arty" types buy them because they look nice [:D]

I work with both platforms but stick to Macs at home. Actually my mac at work
runs Mac OSX and Windows XP SP2, BOTH NATIVELY! So I can choose my poison!
Actually, I only boot up in windows for Quark Xpress and Microsoft Publisher files. [xx(]
Last week my I had to remove a virus and some spyware on my Windows partition, but I have NEVER had a virus or spyware on any of my Macs since 1988! Ooops!, showing my age!!![:I]

1999 Parker Fly Jazz for sale!

www.myspace.com/humankindness ¥ www.myspace.com/kidsafterdark

Mac or PC?

Offline 791979

Mac or PC?
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2007, 08:29:58 AM »
You are certainly correct the Windows is a lot worse for Malware.  I have spent many hours recently "disinfecting" PC's
---------------------
'98 Parker Fly Classic
Ibanez RG550
MIJ Fender Telecaster
Cornford MK50H
Session Sessionette 75

Mac or PC?

Offline 908ssp

Mac or PC?
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2007, 08:32:03 AM »
Have you ever heard of someone going fishing for the smallest fish in the lake? Or hunting the littlest dear in the woods?...Me neither.

Alex

[/img]
Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Mac or PC?

Offline 791979

Mac or PC?
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2007, 09:07:33 AM »
[:D][:D][:D][:D]

Yeah, I guess that's a fair point [:)]
---------------------
'98 Parker Fly Classic
Ibanez RG550
MIJ Fender Telecaster
Cornford MK50H
Session Sessionette 75