Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mac or PC?  (Read 8741 times)

Offline loumt123

Mac or PC?
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2007, 09:29:05 AM »
My family and I seem to have bad luck with PCs, which is why we were all either deciding to go for a Macbook or Custom Dell Laptop. The current computer I'm on has to be reformatted almost every month because of the spyware and virus issues. It seemed to be that way on old desktops, too.

Looking for something I can record with as well as browse the internet and such without having so many problems. All we really use the computer for is internet/checking email/etc. Truthfully I don't even have mp3s on here....Still stuck on CDs[:)]
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 09:31:18 AM by loumt123 »

Mac or PC?

Offline prjacobs

Mac or PC?
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2007, 10:55:21 AM »
To repeat, in the pro recording world, I only know one person who uses a PC.  I have a friend who runs gigastudio, which is a PC program and uses 4 PCs only for that program, running them all through a Mac based sequencer.  (This is a person who has 47 first violins in his orchestration template, and gets virtually every orchestral library for free.)  Pros who can use anything use Macs, period.  
Is there snobbery among Mac owners?  Yes... Do we consider ourselves more "arty" than PC users?  Again, Yes.  Not that owning a Mac exactly gives you membership in the underground subculture.  (Only compared to PC owners:)
Every computer will crash.  Having basically said that I wouldn't be caught dead with a PC, I have a feeling that in 2007, there aren't many bad computers.  

Best,
Paul

Mac or PC?

Offline bno

Mac or PC?
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2007, 09:08:50 PM »
Its not about the computer, its about what you do with it.  Both Macs and PCs are competent music creation platforms.   People win Grammys and score movie soundtracks on both platforms.  

With the PC platform you are best served by having a dedicated machine for your music. If you are financially challenged, you will get more bang for the buck from the PC platform.  You could set up a decent music platform for well under a grand.  You could get into  entry level for less thann $500.

If you can swing the investment, you can't go wrong with a Mac - but from what I've seen you'll probably be cutting a hole in your wallet when you do.  Figure at least a couple grand to get started.

If you have any intention of playing games - don't even think about a Mac.

If you plan on becomming a professional freelance recording engineer/producer you probably need to go Mac/ProTools. $$$$$

Don't buy into the fear mongering hyperbole that Mac users bellow about PCs.  Simple precautions and you're going to be fine.  

There's nothing you can do on a Mac that you can't do on a PC.
There's nothing you can do on a PC that you can't do on a Mac.

On the other hand - you can get a very nice dedicated digital multitrack unit and just not get involved in the whole distraction of using a computer to make music.  
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 09:16:21 PM by bno »
'94 Fly Deluxe
Listen first, then play.

Mac or PC?

Offline jamrcat

Mac or PC?
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2007, 09:58:38 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by prjacobs

To repeat, in the pro recording world, I only know one person who uses a PC.  I have a friend who runs gigastudio, which is a PC program and uses 4 PCs only for that program, running them all through a Mac based sequencer.  (This is a person who has 47 first violins in his orchestration template, and gets virtually every orchestral library for free.)  Pros who can use anything use Macs, period.  
Is there snobbery among Mac owners?  Yes... Do we consider ourselves more "arty" than PC users?  Again, Yes.  Not that owning a Mac exactly gives you membership in the underground subculture.  (Only compared to PC owners:)
Every computer will crash.  Having basically said that I wouldn't be caught dead with a PC, I have a feeling that in 2007, there aren't many bad computers.  

Best,
Paul

I disagree! [^] You say in the pro recording world you only know one pro that uses a PC. I use a PC and I have made lots of money producing corporate productions. I also know many pro studios on the West coast who use PC based hardware. I think in the last three decades Mac has ruled the pro recording world for studios who use computer based systems, but that (IMHO) has been changing in the last decade! My wife as well in the Graphics world has experienced the exact same thing. It use to be die hard graphic departments wouldn't dream of using anything but a Mac, but that has changed big time! Her last two jobs as a graphic designer, including her present job will not use Mac's anymore. Times they are a changin'! [:)]

01' Parker Fly Classic "Natural" w/SD Black Backs (Thanks Jay)
93' Parker Fly Deluxe hardtail RP "Blackie" KP Signature (Thank You! Bob & Ken)
Fender Cyber Twin, Korg AX1500G, D-Tar Mama Bear, and a 2FlyBob (Thanks Paul!)

jamrcat
Butte, Montana
"A Fly for each hand!"

Mac or PC?

Offline uburoibob

• Bob Martin 11:11
Mac or PC?
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2007, 10:07:05 PM »
As someone who owns more than a dozen current issue Macs and has owned over 100 over the years, as well as about 35 PCs (down to one, now)  I can say, without doubt, that you will have FAAAARRRR fewer problems in the Mac world than you will with PCs. They are simply more reliable. The operating system is also far ahead of Windows. On my Macs, I've been using features for the last five years that Vista has just appropriated for the PC world. Yes, there are less software offerings - in general, you get to avoid the dogs from the PC world, as the resources are not available to develop those programs for the Mac. It hasn't affected my ability to record and produce music, create all of my stuff for my ad agency, develop web sites, run a business, cater to my personal interests, etc, etc, etc. And on a Mac, there is simply no such thing as spyware.

Sure, a Mac may be the smallest fish in the pond, but it's the brightest. We certainly don't buy Flys cuz they are the most popular - we buy them because they are the best. When it comes to computers - Mac = Fly.

Gabeesh?

Bob

1996 Parker Fly Standard Deluxe Hardtail Green (thanks John!)  â€¢  1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch  â€¢  1998 Fly Classic in Transparent Dark Blue  â€¢  1998 Fly Classic in Cherry Red with DiBurro Roland Mod •  http://bobmartin1111.com
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 10:09:56 PM by uburoibob »
1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch -   2000 Fly Standard Classic in Cherry Red - http://bobmartin1111.com

Mac or PC?

Offline uburoibob

Mac or PC?
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2007, 10:15:00 PM »
One further plus for the Mac - Logic. It's the only computer it's available for, and it's the best music creation program on the planet. Cubase ain't bad either (I own both). GarageBand is just plain fun. The other programs that come free with a Mac (iPhoto, iTunes, iWeb, iDVD, iMovieHD) are just top notch, stellar programs. A Mac, out of the box, is capable of recording your album. making a master or dups of CD, creating cover art, AND getting it all to the internet. Nothing else to buy. Sort of like the Fly - Acoustic and Electric guitars with sound completely moldable to your style, without having to learn to be a luthier. What more could you want?

Bob

1996 Parker Fly Standard Deluxe Hardtail Green (thanks John!)  â€¢  1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch  â€¢  1998 Fly Classic in Transparent Dark Blue  â€¢  1998 Fly Classic in Cherry Red with DiBurro Roland Mod •  http://bobmartin1111.com
1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch -   2000 Fly Standard Classic in Cherry Red - http://bobmartin1111.com

Mac or PC?

Offline jamrcat

Mac or PC?
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2007, 10:56:18 PM »
Bob, we missed you! Glad you chimed in! I thought my pro PC stance would bring you out of the closet! I love you man! [:D]

01' Parker Fly Classic "Natural" w/SD Black Backs (Thanks Jay)
93' Parker Fly Deluxe hardtail RP "Blackie" KP Signature (Thank You! Bob & Ken)
Fender Cyber Twin, Korg AX1500G, D-Tar Mama Bear, and a 2FlyBob (Thanks Paul!)

jamrcat
Butte, Montana
"A Fly for each hand!"

Mac or PC?

Offline 908ssp

Mac or PC?
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2007, 11:48:59 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by uburoibob

... The other programs that come free with a Mac (iPhoto, iTunes, iWeb, iDVD, iMovieHD) are just top notch, stellar programs. A Mac, out of the box, is capable of recording your album. making a master or dups of CD, creating cover art, AND getting it all to the internet.

If they did that at Microsoft they would be sued for bundling.[V]

[^]

Alex

[/img]
« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 07:41:55 AM by 908ssp »
Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Mac or PC?

Offline BrainWorm

Mac or PC?
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2007, 02:20:03 AM »
And not only do you get free software bundled witht the Mac, you get free backdated stock options also. What more could a guy want?
On the serious side, the Mac is more cost effective than even a Dell computer the last time I checked. I had a chief of technology at a company correct me when I thought the Mac was more expensive. We went through a point by point comparison. I was suprised after all the propaganda that the Mac was more expensive.

"Brainverms come crawling and creeping and eat you when you're sleeping."
"Brainverms come crawling and creeping and eat you when you're sleeping."

Mac or PC?

Offline 791979

Mac or PC?
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2007, 04:24:27 AM »
I guess that before anyone decides on one platform, they have to make some decisions about the hardware & software they want to use.  If you want to use Sonar then it's a PC, if you want to use Logic (is that what the Mac stuff is called?) then its a Mac.  What soundcard?  Is it supported under both systems.  

We all have our own prejudices, but for someone deciding on a system for recording & general work this is probably the biggest deciding factor.

---------------------
'98 Parker Fly Classic
Ibanez RG550
MIJ Fender Telecaster
Cornford MK50H
Cornford Hurricane (for Sale)
Matamp C7 Deluxe (maybe for sale one day soon!)
Session Sessionette 75

Mac or PC?

Offline loumt123

Mac or PC?
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2007, 05:38:57 AM »
Is logic better than protools? What hardware does it require?
Is all mixing and production done digitally...like no need for mixers?

Real time score transcriptions [:p]...I don't need to struggle with finale notepad any longer[:o)]
« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 05:42:40 AM by loumt123 »

Mac or PC?

Offline uburoibob

Mac or PC?
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2007, 06:15:56 AM »
On a Mac, you don't need a soundcard. All built in. Of course, if you want to run it through the sound management of an outboard device such as one of the Tascam controllers with USB or Firewire audio, then great. There are tons of cross platform interfaces.

Lou, Logic vs ProTools or Cubase or Sonar is partially a subjective call, partially an objective call. I've found Logic to be rock solid (unlike Cubase or ProTools) and far more flexible than any other program in it's ability to be customized. Logic comes to you in a complete, ready-to-use form, but also allows you to rewire and set it up any way you want - whether you are going with strictly audio recording, combining it with MIDI or scoring (with a need to sync to video), Logic is my choice.

And yes, you can do it all with just a Mac - no mixers, no interfaces, no nuttin, if you need to. Just a pair of headphones, and a way to get line level from your guitar into your computer (1/4" to 1/8" cord). Plug and go.

Alex, being small and flying under the radar has its advantages... ;-) There's plenty of room over here. We welcome you. See Vista the way it was meant to be experienced - as OSX!

Bob

Mac or PC?

Offline 791979

Mac or PC?
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2007, 07:56:18 AM »
For me, I didn't like ProTools or Cubase.  IMHO the main contenders are Logic on Mac & Sonar on PC.  I know others will disagree and that's fine.  I should say that I have have tried most PC recording systems (including PT & Cubase) before settling with Sonar.
---------------------
'98 Parker Fly Classic
Ibanez RG550
MIJ Fender Telecaster
Cornford MK50H
Cornford Hurricane (for Sale)
Matamp C7 Deluxe (maybe for sale one day soon!)
Session Sessionette 75

Mac or PC?

Offline uburoibob

Mac or PC?
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2007, 07:57:59 AM »
The big question is: How many of us have extensive experience on both platforms in their most recent and current incarnations, and can make an objective call here?

I believe I can.

Bob

Mac or PC?

Offline prjacobs

Mac or PC?
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2007, 08:50:48 AM »
Hey Bob,
I've been using Digital Performer as a sequencer and Protools for audio recording and editing.  DP is a much better tool for a composer but Protools does have a very easy, intuitive way of letting you work with audio.  However, I'm considering switching  to Logic, because, as you say, it seems to be very stable and also seems to do things that neither Protools or DP do.  Since Apple owns Logic, obviously it will always work well with Macs.  Digital Performer and Protools don't like each other at all.  Have you had any experience with DP?  I hear that the jump fro DP to Logic is not that hard. MOTU seems to have dropped the ball with the Mach V, their sampler, so I have a feeling that my Digital Performer days are numbered.