Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mac or PC?  (Read 8885 times)

Offline titanium667

• Find me on Facebook
Mac or PC?
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2007, 09:24:08 AM »
I've used Digital Performer and Logic on the Mac and though I like both,
Logic is more stable and limitless in it's capabilities. I'll admit that Logics
learning curve is steeper than DP, Protools or cubase, but once you get the hang of it
you can't beat it for power and flexibility! And again, my dual-core intel Xeon
Mac Pro kicks ass in OS X and Windows![:D]

I miss my Parker Jazz!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 09:24:42 AM by titanium667 »
On the verge of Superstardom, for over 35years!

Mac or PC?

Offline davecan

• http://www.candidsounds.com
Mac or PC?
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2007, 09:59:57 AM »
quote:
And again, my dual-core intel Xeon Mac Pro kicks ass in OS X and Windows!

Having that ability makes a huge case for going with a Mac, IMO.  
How difficult was it to set up Windows on your Mac?  

Git on the stick, Parker kin, and rustle us up some Southern Flies 'fore we whoop yo behinds! ~
"Cotton" Candido
Dave

Mac or PC?

Offline bno

Mac or PC?
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2007, 10:47:50 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by cmpkllyrslf96

Mac or PC for recording or just general use?

Yes.  Either one.

I consider Craig Anderton to be one of the foremost journalistic authorities on the topic.  He uses both and remains platform neutral. Here are Craig's thoughts regarding DAWs (digital audio workstations).

http://www.musicproductiontoolbox.com/article.php?art=3

And here's some more stuff.

http://www.musicproductiontoolbox.com/article.php?art=2

What you need:

Powerful processor
Lots of memory
Lots of fast storage - one for your OS and software, and a separate one for your audio data
Backup method (extra external storage)
RW CD/DVD burner
Audio interface

Software.  Here's a running comparison over time that may be helpful.  

http://www.tweakheadz.com/Sequencer2.html

As far as "general computing", the bundled Mac platform does have a leg up with the exception that you would probably need to purchase a copy of Microsoft Office.  The MacBook looks like a nifty computer - for $1100.  You can get a useable Windows laptop for a couple hundred that covers all the basics.  Dell, Acer and HP are your best choices there.

For what it's worth, the largest producer of Mac software is Microsoft.  Microsoft does hold a minority stake in Apple.  Apple is moving away from being a computer company and into being a media company (they officially dropped "Computer" from the corporate name).  Microsoft makes software and only software.  Microsoft has a distinct knack for successfully appropriating software technology.

This is one of the problems with free market economy.  Too many choices.
'94 Fly Deluxe
Listen first, then play.

Mac or PC?

Offline loumt123

Mac or PC?
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2007, 01:54:45 PM »
That's great the MAC doesn't need any external hardware. Sounds like MAC is gonna be the way to go.

Mac or PC?

Offline prjacobs

Mac or PC?
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2007, 02:06:12 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by titanium667

I've used Digital Performer and Logic on the Mac and though I like both,
Logic is more stable and limitless in it's capabilities. I'll admit that Logics
learning curve is steeper than DP, Protools or cubase, but once you get the hang of it
you can't beat it for power and flexibility! And again, my dual-core intel Xeon
Mac Pro kicks ass in OS X and Windows![:D]

I miss my Parker Jazz!

I never used to have any trouble with Digital Performer, but the latest version is not as stable.  The current version of Mach V is just not a powerful enough sampler if you really want to orchestrate.  I've also found that I have to divide my sessions in half, because when a stack up lots of virtual instruments, DP crashes.  I have the fastest dual processor Mac with 4.5 gig of ram, and it's still not happy.[:(]
« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 02:07:32 PM by prjacobs »

Mac or PC?

Offline prjacobs

Mac or PC?
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2007, 02:21:23 PM »
By the way, in terms of storage, I've been using hot swap drives.  I've had so many power supplies fail, that I finally decided to go with a dedicated unit with it's own power supply that you just drop drives into.  I think that the unit itself is around $79 and it comes with one tray for a drive.  Just drives by themselves are cheap, a 250gig drive is around $69.  I've been able to take the drives out of my broken units and salvage them.

Mac or PC?

Offline uburoibob

• Bob Martin 11:11
Mac or PC?
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2007, 04:15:17 PM »
DP has always been flakey for me, but I've had to use it on some collaberative projects. It's feature set is nice, but it's non-intuitive GUI, while beautiful, is a deal breaker. ProTools is, for lack of a better word, boring. It's not terribly pretty to work in, has a slight delay to it's feel, isn't wonderfully inventive. It's white bread of DAWs.

Logic and Cubase are the most feature rich, flexible, expandable, etc of the bunch. And Logic wins for stability and customizability for me.

And while I own Logic Pro, I use Logic Express cuz it's just a little livelier. If I ever need the extended capabilities of Pro, I will open it for that project. So far, I haven't run into a need.

Bob

1996 Parker Fly Standard Deluxe Hardtail Green (thanks John!)  â€¢  1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch  â€¢  1998 Fly Classic in Transparent Dark Blue  â€¢  1998 Fly Classic in Cherry Red with DiBurro Roland Mod •  http://bobmartin1111.com
1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch -   2000 Fly Standard Classic in Cherry Red - http://bobmartin1111.com

Mac or PC?

Offline titanium667

• Find me on Facebook
Mac or PC?
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2007, 08:56:18 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by davecan

quote:
And again, my dual-core intel Xeon Mac Pro kicks ass in OS X and Windows!

Having that ability makes a huge case for going with a Mac, IMO.  
How difficult was it to set up Windows on your Mac?  

Git on the stick, Parker kin, and rustle us up some Southern Flies 'fore we whoop yo behinds! ~
"Cotton" Candido

I set up a partition via Apple's Bootcamp but you have to reboot in either Mac
OSX or Windows. Most often I use "Parallels" to run Windows simultaniously with
the Mac OS. For instance, If a client gives me a Microsoft Publisher file (Publisher
is not available for the Mac OS), I just launch Windows through Parallels and save the
Publisher file as a PDF, where I can manipulate it on the Mac OS without having to reboot.
If I were to run Windows Audio apps, I'd probably go the dual boot route for better performance. Running Windows through Parallel is a tad slower. Either way is pretty easy to set up though.

I miss my Parker Jazz!
On the verge of Superstardom, for over 35years!

Mac or PC?

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
Mac or PC?
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2007, 10:43:43 PM »
I didn't even read any of the posts in this thread, but let me just say that I am about ready to take this Windows XP "Professional" home computer I have and smash it with a sledge hammer, pump a thousand rounds from my AR-15 into it, pour gasoline on it and torch it then run a steam roller over it! Did that give you the impression that I am frustrated with my computer? [:o)]

Now, my Windows XP Professional machine at work seems to be pretty bulletproof. I do need to get a new home computer, so I guess I ought to read thru this thread, huh? [;)]

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams

Mac or PC?

Offline DrJeff

Mac or PC?
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2007, 11:18:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Marossy

...I am about ready to take this Windows XP "Professional" home computer I have and smash it with a sledge hammer, pump a thousand rounds from my AR-15 into it, pour gasoline on it and torch it then run a steam roller over it...

Testify, brother!! I have faced the blue screen of death on more than one occasion. MS Office applications being the workplace standard was the only thing that has kept me in a Windows machine. My next home computer will be a Mac - end of discussion.1997 Sunburst Nitefly
2000 Metallic Red Fly Deluxe w/Roland Mod
Rgds,
Jeff

Mac or PC?

Offline David Tomkins

• Advanced Member
Mac or PC?
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2007, 02:48:37 AM »
find out what platform britney spears was recorded on and then buy the other one.

that's my technical 2 cents on the subject.

2005 Green Quilted Maple Custom Mojo, 2006 Parker Fly T-Shirt, 2006 Parker Fly Baseball Cap.  A triple-whammy of Parker goodness!!
2005 Green Quilted Maple Custom Mojo signed by Steve Vai, 2006 Parker Fly T-Shirt, 2006 Parker Fly Baseball Cap.  A triple-whammy of Parker goodness!!

Mac or PC?

Offline uburoibob

• Bob Martin 11:11
Mac or PC?
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2007, 06:30:48 AM »
Britney's DEFINITELY a PC girl... there are photos of her all over the internet exposing her PC, getting in and out of limos. She really should cover that thing up...

Bob

1996 Parker Fly Standard Deluxe Hardtail Green (thanks John!)  â€¢  1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch  â€¢  1998 Fly Classic in Transparent Dark Blue  â€¢  1998 Fly Classic in Cherry Red with DiBurro Roland Mod •  http://bobmartin1111.com
1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch -   2000 Fly Standard Classic in Cherry Red - http://bobmartin1111.com

Mac or PC?

Offline DrJeff

Mac or PC?
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2007, 10:02:10 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by uburoibob

... there are photos of her all over the internet exposing her PC...

[:I]
and where is the "blue screen of death" when you need it? [:D]1997 Sunburst Nitefly
2000 Metallic Red Fly Deluxe w/Roland Mod
Rgds,
Jeff

Mac or PC?

Offline Toonman

• http://www.sergiomucino.com
Mac or PC?
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2007, 10:17:43 AM »
Oh, God... not the dreaded "PC VS MAC" thread... :)

For some reason I will never understand, users seem to defend their platform with intense passion. But this only makes things more confusing for those who are open to both.

I've worked with computers for a loooong time (started with a Commodore 64), and I've gone through Windows, Max, IRIX/UNIX/Linux, etc. I do have my preferences, but that doesn't mean I discard anything else, and I will explain why.

Let's get something straight. A computer is just a piece of metal that doesn't do ANYTHING. It therefore, can't crash. Now, what you need to do is load something onto the computer. Then it'll do stuff. In this case, the first thing to load onto it is an operating system (I'm sorry for the incredibly childish tone of this post, but it helps me keep thinking :) ). Now, if you leave it at that, just an OS, no apps installed yet, both a Mac and a PC have equal chances of having problems (granted that you're using a LEGAL, ORIGINAL installer).

Problem is, this NEVER happens. We have different components in our computers. Video cards, sound cards, CD/DVD burners, keyboards, mice, etc. These require DRIVERS to talk to the OS, and not all companies are equally careful about the quality of their drivers. A bad driver can make your computer extremely unstable (and users usually blame it on the computer itself, which seems to be the logical conclusion).

The reason MACs used to have a "they're more stable" platform was partially due to the fact that, up until recently (last 3 years), they were a fairly closed hardware platform. You could NOT go to Best Buy and buy just any video card for a Mac... there were no options. You bought one, and it came with a certain hardware configuration. If yiu wanted to replace or upgrade something, you had to go through Apple. That allowed them total control over hardware, and the sofwtare to go with it.

PC's, on the other hand, are like bulding a house using Lego blocks. You can use the yellow ones, the red ones... use this videocard, that sound card, the other CD burner, etc. Everyone makes peripherals for PC's. And of course, said manufacturers are responsibles to provide the drivers that will allow those devices to function "properly".

So, I guess you can see where all this is going. Now, I must say I'm a PC person, for several reasons which I will not detail here. I will say though that, a properly set-up and taken care of PC is rock solid, just as a properly taken care of MAC would be. Maybe it's just that PC's are harder to take care of, or PC users are less computer savvy (I can't count the times I've had to fix problems with my dad's computer and networks).

In any case, we should be less passionate. You can always say "I love MACs because the OS's workflow is really friendly FOR ME", but we should never plain discard or label something as "useless". Remember, one man's gourmet meal is another man's poison (or something like that... ).

Cheers all!! [:)]

Sergio Muciño
http://www.myspace.com/sergiomucino
http://www.sergiomucino.com
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 10:32:00 AM by Toonman »

Mac or PC?

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
Mac or PC?
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2007, 11:47:48 AM »
quote:
Testify, brother!! I have faced the blue screen of death on more than one occasion.

Oh yeah, been there, done that.

quote:
I've worked with computers for a loooong time (started with a Commodore 64)

Dang, you got me beat. I started out on a 8088 when I was learning on AutoCAD v2.6

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams