Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: [OT] The ups and downs of pets  (Read 2089 times)

jwrooker

[OT] The ups and downs of pets
« on: May 31, 2007, 02:59:34 PM »
I'll admit that I am a hard core animal lover.  We've had dogs, cats and horses as pets over the years.  For a while, we did cat rescues, mainly from the barn where we boarded our horses.  So, these days, we still have some of those rescues, but they are getting old.  They have health issues ranging from diabetes (insulin dependent), chronic kidney disease, cardiomyopathy.  Still and all, we are very attached to them and it's hard to watch them develop the maladies associated with age.  In doing rescues, we've been down this road many, many times and it doesn't get any easier.  

Would I do it all again, knowing the inevitable outcome each time?  In a heartbeat.  We've extended and, I hope, improved the lives of every animal we've come across.  Each one has had something to teach us.

We've known for a long time that, since our little feline family are all about the same age, we were due for a rough year at some time.  It is beginning to look like this is the year.

Thanks for listening..

John
Rochester, NY
  • 98 Fly Classic w/Gen 1's
  • 98 Fly Classic w/Gen 2's (Thanks, Rolly!)
  • 01 Fly Single 2
  • 02 NiteFly M w/Virtual PAF's (Thanks, Rolly!)
  • 03 Fly Mojo W/Pearly Gates
  • 05 Southern NiteFly (Thanks, Bob!)

Offline Michel

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 04:00:27 PM »
Right On !
Michel
Michel

Midifly
2006 Mojo fly
Line 6 Pod
Korg M1R

Offline DrJeff

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 05:12:52 PM »
You are by no means alone, John. Doing God's work is seldom easy. At nearly 80, my mother still takes in ferals and cares for them until she can get them to a no-kill facility. Glad to have you back!1997 Sunburst Nitefly
2000 Metallic Red Fly Deluxe w/Roland Mod
Rgds,
Jeff

Offline jamrcat

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 07:07:52 PM »
John, my cats and dogs use to circle around me when I would play my music. Didn't matter if it was guitar or keyboards. Even my wife's drums didn't seem to bother them. They would just lay and listen to the music. I had a dog that really loved singing with my guitar. Howled his head off, at least I think he liked it! In the west part of Montana I had a heard of about 300 head of cattle that use to surround the church there whenever I practiced. Was annoying during church services though, they would occasionally interrupt my preaching with mooing! [:D] So keep playing those Parkers, I'm sure you'll find an appreciative audience! [;)] A last thought: We loved our animals - my kids use to accuse us of loving our animals more than them. To be honest, we got along better with the animals! [:0] Wish you the best John, hope things go as well as possible with your feline family! [;)]

01' Parker Fly Classic "Natural" w/SD Black Backs (Thanks Jay)
93' Parker Fly Deluxe hardtail RP "Blackie" KP Signature (Thank You! Bob & Ken)
Fender Cyber Twin, Korg AX1500G, D-Tar Mama Bear, and a 2FlyBob (Thanks Paul!)

jamrcat
Butte, Montana
"A Fly for each hand!"

Offline tildeslash

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 07:44:52 PM »
Every animal you ever cared for - will be waiting for you when you reach heaven.
They will be the first ones you'll see before anyone else.
So make arrangements to be buried with some treats when your time comes.

Offline uburoibob

• Bob Martin 11:11
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 08:14:35 PM »
Hey John,

After having to put down our dog Hank just about a year ago, and having lost two Basset Hounds to cancer a few years back, and swearing we'd never do that again, we just brought home last night, Harry and Ginny - a pair of Dachshunds. Harry is a Wild Boar Wire Hair male, and Ginny is a half wire hair, half smooth female with an overbite and a hernia. Both were not the picks  of the litter, and neither would be considered as show dogs. While not a rescue, we weren't interested in showing - just giving a good, loving home to these dogs.

I know how hard a time it is saying goodbye to furry members of the family. Having met your cats, I am tearing up just thinking about it. There will be others who will benefit from your large hearts. And many who are thankful for the extra time you gave them.

My heart goes out to you and Lin.

Bob

1996 Parker Fly Standard Deluxe Hardtail Green (thanks John!)  â€¢  1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch  â€¢  1998 Fly Classic in Transparent Dark Blue  â€¢  1998 Fly Classic in Cherry Red with DiBurro Roland Mod •  http://bobmartin1111.com
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 08:15:13 PM by uburoibob »
1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch -   2000 Fly Standard Classic in Cherry Red - http://bobmartin1111.com

Offline 908ssp

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007, 10:11:04 PM »
About a year and a half ago I had to put Hobbs down my cat for 16 years. Only two weeks later this stray shows up at my door and expects to walk right in. No way was that dirty scrawny thing coming in. He stuck around for a month and well I took him in. He probably didn't care for the vet visit and flea bath he got immediately but he has been an absolutely amazing cat ever since. While he makes himself scarce when I am playing he is around the rest of the time pulling on cords, knocking stuff down while watching me, chasing a laser pointer and begging to be fed. He is now fat and happy and has thick coat. Meet Meowth.

Alex

[/img]
Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Offline jamrcat

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007, 10:21:37 PM »
"That is one beautiful cat" Alex, my wife just peeked over my shoulder and said that! Meowth looks like he is full of personality! [:D]

01' Parker Fly Classic "Natural" w/SD Black Backs (Thanks Jay)
93' Parker Fly Deluxe hardtail RP "Blackie" KP Signature (Thank You! Bob & Ken)
Fender Cyber Twin, Korg AX1500G, D-Tar Mama Bear, and a 2FlyBob (Thanks Paul!)

jamrcat
Butte, Montana
"A Fly for each hand!"

Offline Lwinn171

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2007, 11:22:38 PM »
Guys, I LOVE cats! I've had a cat nearly all my life, and currently have two in my home. They are worth everything you must sometimes sacrifice, and then some. They are one of my greatest joys, and to the great cats I miss from the past, well, I could never thank them enough... They say having a pet can add years to your life. I'd rather give my money to the vet than to a cardiologist! They're fee's are actually very reasonable, by comparison!

Lawrence Winn
2001 Classic, 98 Deluxe
various amps, various toys

Offline simonlock

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2007, 11:36:57 PM »
I miss having a Kitty. You guys are pulling my heart strings here.

Simon
Vancouver,BC

Offline BrainWorm

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2007, 03:44:12 AM »
I just came face to face with a big racoon Thursday night. He was moving like a shadow and I almost snuck up on him. He took a several seconds look at me, then hustled off. Racoons have cool faces, those dark ringed eyes.

"Brainverms come crawling and creeping and eat you when you're sleeping."
"Brainverms come crawling and creeping and eat you when you're sleeping."

Offline David Tomkins

• Advanced Member
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2007, 02:13:32 AM »
kittens.  you just can't beat kittens for the 'melt' factor

2005 Green Quilted Maple Custom Mojo, 2006 Parker Fly T-Shirt, 2006 Parker Fly Baseball Cap.  A triple-whammy of Parker goodness!!
2005 Green Quilted Maple Custom Mojo signed by Steve Vai, 2006 Parker Fly T-Shirt, 2006 Parker Fly Baseball Cap.  A triple-whammy of Parker goodness!!

jwrooker

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2007, 07:34:28 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by David Tomkins

kittens.  you just can't beat kittens for the 'melt' factor

You've seen me around kittens!  [:D]  I'm just as bad around puppies, too.

John
Rochester, NY
  • 01 Fly Single 2

Offline uburoibob

• Bob Martin 11:11
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2007, 07:48:11 AM »
John and Lin came over to welcome our Dachshund puppies to the neighborhood. I'll attest to his ability to melt...

Bob

1996 Parker Fly Standard Deluxe Hardtail Green (thanks John!)  â€¢  1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch  â€¢  1998 Fly Classic in Transparent Dark Blue  â€¢  1998 Fly Classic in Cherry Red with DiBurro Roland Mod •  http://bobmartin1111.com
1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch -   2000 Fly Standard Classic in Cherry Red - http://bobmartin1111.com

jwrooker

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2007, 07:54:34 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by uburoibob

John and Lin came over to welcome our Dachshund puppies to the neighborhood. I'll attest to his ability to melt...

Bob,

Your pups are extraordinary!  Very enjoyable afternoon..thank you!

John
Rochester, NY
  • 01 Fly Single 2

« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 07:54:54 AM by jwrooker »