Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: School of Rock Fest/Adrian Belew Power Trio Fans??  (Read 2163 times)

Offline 21niko21

School of Rock Fest/Adrian Belew Power Trio Fans??
« on: July 03, 2007, 10:10:04 AM »
When I wrote my first post here about playing again and buying my PM-20 because Adrian Belew melted my brain I guess I wasn't lying...

I managed to find a way to fly to NY and drive down to NJ for the inaugural School of Rock festival to see his power trio.  What a crazy weekend...Adrian Belew Power Trio, Mike Keneally Band, Ween and some of the most talented kids on the earth.  It was surreal.  All these kids walking around in the crowd with guitars and drum sticks, watching a show with Dave Dreiwitz from Ween or Mike Keneally standing five feet away (watching the same show), and just pure rocking music all weekend.  I'm pretty sure it was the best weekend of my life actually.

Then, on Monday, Adrian and his wife sat down to eat at the same restaurant I was at and I said 'hi' (I think Adrian is actually too nice to be a rock star).  That led to me driving in NYC for the first time in my life (with my parents SUV, not my Civic...) to see the power trio at BB King's.  I've seen Adrian with Crimson quite a few times, and seen him solo/old power trio three times.  Of course, I was always amazed with his playing and music before, but now...the power trio with the Slicks has elevated his playing and material to another dimension.  I think I would honestly rather watch the trio right now than Crimson (yes, the brain has melted completely)...don't miss the trio! [;)]

Anyone else have any SOR fest/ABPT stories?
Parker PM-20 Gold Top
Digitech RP-350

Offline Jason Davis

• http://www.JasonDavisMusic.com
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 10:27:51 AM »
Ade and Keneally are two of the nicest people I know.  Ade spent more than enough time with me at NAMM 06 discussing Sustainer vs Sustainiac options when putting together ideas for my custom Fly, and Keneally was kind enough to send me a personal letter/review of a recording I did back in '93 with comments and suggestions.

Funny story:  when living in Pittsburgh, a friend of mine from college went to see Z (Dweezil/Ahmet Zappa's band w/ Keneally) at a local club.  We didn't know the gig was 21+, and I was 3 days from being 21 (and "Juice" was younger than that).  The trip downtown seemed pointless as the club would not let us in.  Not letting the trip go to waste, we went to our favorite music store (Ides, if anyone is familiar with it) to look at CDs.  Lo and behold, Keneally was there perusing the music selection.  I introduced myself and explained our dilemma, and he offered to see what he could do.  He jumped in my car and rode with us back to the gig where he got us into the show with table seats right above the stage (apparently the Dweez put in a good word as well to make sure it happened).  I've seen Mike a number of times since then, and he's been just as nice as he was back then.

I missed Ade when he last played in Dallas (and have been kicking myself ever since), but seeing him live with the Crim was an absolute joy.

a Parker Guitars, Emerald Guitars, Randall Amplifiers, & Mojo Strings Artist.

www.JasonDavisMusic.com
www.myspace.com/JasonDavisMusic
www.myspace.com/JasonDavisBand

2007 Jason Davis "JD-147" Signature Fly
2005 custom PM-20G prototype
2004 Cherry Sunburst Nitefly Mojo Flame
1998 Antique Gold Fly Deluxe

Offline bno

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 11:41:22 AM »
Dang!  I was all set to go to the BB King show and then got shipped out of town on a project.  Now I really gotta go see them...
'94 Fly Deluxe
Listen first, then play.

Offline sfw

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 04:30:18 PM »
Worth any time it takes to see him/them. I would also say that Adrian (don't know him that well) is one of the nicest people I've ever met, in or out of the music business. Great guy, Great guitarist. If you get the chance anytime to see him with or without anyone, I highly recommend it. I caught him recently with the Bears for a short set. I would also suggest their new album, its great.

- Scott

Fly Artist (purchase fund started)
NiteFly '97
P6; PM10; PM20; Franken-Fenders
Wiggles Murray, Barbie Electric w/matching mic, American Idol electric, Pink Hello Kitty
- Scott

PM10; Few Nitefly's; Franken-Fenders
Wiggles Murray, Barbie Electric w/matching mic, American Idol electric, Pink Hello Kitty

Offline Lwinn171

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 11:29:59 PM »
I'll second any praise of Adrian, as a guitarist, musician and human being. I've been to see him twice (once totally solo, with a midi "jam band", once with his power trio)., and both times he found time to talk with me (both times I brought him a guitar to sign, and both times I waited in a line for about 7 minutes for the pleasure, and both times we spoke for longer than you'd expect). He was really engaged and couldn't have been a better person to chat with. And very few people have command of their the guitar as he does. He rocks, and is as great a guy as you could ever hope to meet.

I heard some tracks from the new Bears album on NPR (yeah, I know what you're thinking... but yes, I listen to NPR)... I need to get that album!!!

Lawrence Winn
2001 Classic, 98 Deluxe
various amps, various toys

Offline uburoibob

• Bob Martin 11:11
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2007, 07:29:28 AM »
NPR is really the only place to hear forward-thinking, intelligent, new music by artists, rather than the typical parade performers/clones. As a bonus, you get to hear what the artist has to say. Doesn't happen on commercial radio. Thank god for NPR.

Bob

1997 Parker Fly Concert Burnt Butterscotch  â€¢  1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch  â€¢  1998 Fly Classic in Transparent Dark Blue  â€¢  1998 Fly Classic in Cherry Red with DiBurro Roland Mod •  http://bobmartin1111.com
1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch -   2000 Fly Standard Classic in Cherry Red - http://bobmartin1111.com

Offline prjacobs

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2007, 07:54:00 AM »
My son plays in the School Of Rock All Stars and at age 14 has already played with Adrian Belew, Skunk Baxter and Jon Anderson, the lead singer from Yes.  He played at the above mentioned School Of Rock Festival 2 weeks ago.
The first day of the festival with Adrian, Mike Keneally, etc., was a day of wonderful music, however the 2nd day, with a variety of Punk bands, degenerated into mosh pits and people fighting.  

If anyone gets a chance to see the "Omega All Stars" play, (there's also an Alpha group ),check out guitarists Zack Page and C.J. Tywaniak .  At ages 15 and 16 they are as good technically as anyone I've ever seen.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 07:56:07 AM by prjacobs »

Offline 21niko21

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2007, 08:21:48 AM »
I really miss the NPR station out of Colorado Springs. They used to play some really good stuff.  I hope they're playing The Bears too, Eureka is a great album.  It was actually The Bears show I watched that caused me to start playing again.  It wasn't just the band's musical talent that got me, it was the obvious amount of fun they were having.  They have way too much fun...

prjacobs:  I forgot to mention how jealous I am of kids like your son that are in the schools and getting to play with people like Adrian.  What an awesome experience.  My parents forced me to take piano lessons from some 80 some year old woman for years...Ugh [:(].  Sunday wasn't all bad though...Ade actually played Sunday and there were some good shows at Asbury Lanes that day.  Your right about the mosh pits though, those were intense.
Parker PM-20 Gold Top
Digitech RP-350

Offline 21niko21

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2007, 08:28:24 AM »
Note to self:  must get more Mike Keneally (and watch his entire set sometime, not some 1 hr. festival slot...which was awesome nonetheless).
Parker PM-20 Gold Top
Digitech RP-350

Offline RareBird0

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2007, 12:04:46 PM »
I only saw AB when he performed with Talking Heads. He wasn't playing guitar--he was using a guitar to play my synapses.

Parker NiteFly M
Breedlove AD25SR plus
Taylor 414 Koa
Fender Jazz Bass (Geddy Lee signature model)
Parker NiteFly M
Breedlove AD25SR plus
Martin XC1T Eclipse
Fender Jazz Bass (Geddy Lee signature model)

Offline Jason Davis

• http://www.JasonDavisMusic.com
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2007, 01:14:37 PM »
21niko21,
Get MKB's "Guitar Therapy Live" as well as MK's "Boil That Dust Speck".  Throw in a lil' "Wooden Smoke", and you'll have yourself quite a collection.

a Parker Guitars, Emerald Guitars, Randall Amplifiers, & Mojo Strings Artist.

www.JasonDavisMusic.com
www.myspace.com/JasonDavisMusic
www.myspace.com/JasonDavisBand

2007 Jason Davis "JD-147" Signature Fly
2005 custom PM-20G prototype
2004 Cherry Sunburst Nitefly Mojo Flame
1998 Antique Gold Fly Deluxe

Offline 21niko21

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2007, 08:25:04 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions...Wooden Smoke and Nonkertompf are the two I own right now.  I need to be getting the other two you mentioned...great story btw. [:)]
Parker PM-20 Gold Top
Digitech RP-350