Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Live Earth  (Read 6504 times)

Offline Lwinn171

Live Earth
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2007, 12:33:39 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by bno

C'mon Bob - Steely Dan wasn't THAT bad - just because they brought us "Smooth Jazz" and made it possible for wimpy pseudo jazz musicians to make money and score chicks doesn't make them evil.  They were just different - "rock" music with unusual chord voicings, nonsensical babble and no passion.  Miles Davis bears most of the blame.  Without Miles there wouldn't have been fusion and everything that came from that school of musicians.  

I'm with Bob on this one! I also happen to agree with much he said in that tirade of his. From shred to The Dead, and certainly Steely Dan, there's a LOT more music I don't like than that which I do. Kind of like guitars, or paintings and sculptures, or any other human endeavor. But I don't see it as a categorical thing, most of the time. Artist by artist, piece by piece, is how I tend to make my judgments. But I see no reason why there needs to be any agreement among us about such subjective stuff. It would never have been made if it wasn't someone's idea of what is good.

As was said in "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance"... "Quality is not a thing, it is an event... It is when subject meets object". (loosely quoted). In other words, quality is neither subjective nor objective, exclusively. It is the intersection of the two.[;)]

As for Live Earth, I think the important thing is the message behind the music, although I'm undecided as to whether that really came through. At least it was an effort toward promoting a cause that needs addressing, IMHO.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 12:45:58 PM by Lwinn171 »

Lawrence Winn
2001 Classic, 98 Deluxe
various amps, various toys

Live Earth

Offline jamrcat

Live Earth
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2007, 01:04:23 PM »
Bill.......you made me laugh out loud!  [:D] Thank You, I needed that! [;)]

01' Parker Fly Classic "Natural" w/SD Black Backs (Thanks Jay)
93' Parker Fly Deluxe hardtail RP "Blackie" KP Signature (Thank You! Bob & Ken)
D-Tar Mama Bear, and a 2FlyBob (Thanks Paul!)

jamrcat
Butte, Montana
"A Fly for each hand!"

Live Earth

Offline uburoibob

• Bob Martin 11:11
Live Earth
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2007, 04:53:58 PM »
OK. Punch line... I LOVE ALL YOU GUYS. You're all better than Steely Dan!

Bob

1997 Parker Fly Concert Burnt Butterscotch  â€¢  1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch  â€¢  1998 Fly Classic in Transparent Dark Blue  â€¢  1998 Fly Classic in Cherry Red with DiBurro Roland Mod •  http://bobmartin1111.com
1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch -   2000 Fly Standard Classic in Cherry Red - http://bobmartin1111.com

Live Earth

Offline uburoibob

Live Earth
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2007, 04:56:00 PM »
bno,

no money. Just an awareness thing. As if we need to be made more aware - I have 100 degree 20 mph wind blowing through Rochester, NY. First time it's happened in my 53 years. The point is, we all bare responsibility for saving this rock, if we want to. If not, then the heck with it. But remember - if we do it to ourselves, it's suicide... not the rapture.

Bob

1997 Parker Fly Concert Burnt Butterscotch  â€¢  1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch  â€¢  1998 Fly Classic in Transparent Dark Blue  â€¢  1998 Fly Classic in Cherry Red with DiBurro Roland Mod •  http://bobmartin1111.com
1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch -   2000 Fly Standard Classic in Cherry Red - http://bobmartin1111.com

Live Earth

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
Live Earth
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2007, 05:43:26 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by jamrcat

Bill.......you made me laugh out loud!  [:D] Thank You, I needed that! [;)]

01' Parker Fly Classic "Natural" w/SD Black Backs (Thanks Jay)
93' Parker Fly Deluxe hardtail RP "Blackie" KP Signature (Thank You! Bob & Ken)
D-Tar Mama Bear, and a 2FlyBob (Thanks Paul!)

jamrcat
Butte, Montana

[:)]

Custom '03 Hardtail Artist ; Fly Deluxe 2000; Gibson ES137(4sale); 1974 K.Yari DY85; SchecterDisposable; Martin Backpacker/paddle combo;VoxAD30VT;SWR California Blonde
A few Flys in my soup

Live Earth

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
Live Earth
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2007, 05:44:56 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by uburoibob

bno,

no money. Just an awareness thing. As if we need to be made more aware - I have 100 degree 20 mph wind blowing through Rochester, NY. First time it's happened in my 53 years. The point is, we all bare responsibility for saving this rock, if we want to. If not, then the heck with it. But remember - if we do it to ourselves, it's suicide... not the rapture.

Bob

[:)] [;)]

Custom '03 Hardtail Artist ; Fly Deluxe 2000; Gibson ES137(4sale); 1974 K.Yari DY85; SchecterDisposable; Martin Backpacker/paddle combo;VoxAD30VT;SWR California Blonde
A few Flys in my soup

Live Earth

Offline loumt123

Live Earth
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2007, 06:00:50 PM »
I think they'll shoot us to the moon before there's a solution to the problem....

Concert was a good effort though. Mr. Gore is a smart man.

Live Earth

Offline bno

Live Earth
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2007, 06:04:49 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by uburoibob

bno,

No disagreement there.  Except that suicide is intentional.  This is more of a major Darwin event.  Or maybe it's intelligent design at work.  I just thought it was an ironic waste of energy over how much energy we waste.  Nice rock concert, but what difference will it make?  Time will tell.  Hang on, it's going to be a bumpy ride.
'94 Fly Deluxe
Listen first, then play.

Live Earth

Offline uburoibob

Live Earth
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2007, 08:42:54 PM »
I kinda think that ignorance, in this case, is intentional. Thems that want to believe that it ain't happenin are thems that tend to profit the most from not believing it. I guess if you drink or smoke yourself to death, you can convince the world that it wasn't intentional. But, it certainly wasn't accidental or natural, either. We can be very good at ignoring that which is inconvenient. You are right - it's gonna be a bumpy ride. Just imagine the headstart we'd have if it weren't for the Supremes...

Bob

Live Earth

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
Live Earth
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2007, 08:56:46 PM »
Instead of shapping our belief system around reality,

We tend to shape our reality around our belief sytem [:(]

Quoting Bob:

But remember - if we do it to ourselves, it's suicide... not the rapture.

Bobs line is ,I fear, a  chilling forshadowing of our future worldwide struggle. [:(]

A few Flys in my soup

Live Earth

Offline simonlock

Live Earth
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2007, 09:14:43 PM »
quote:
Just imagine the headstart we'd have if it weren't for the Supremes...

Bob

I love Supremes! And Artists and Deluxes and Classics and ....

Simon
Vancouver,BC

Live Earth

Offline uburoibob

Live Earth
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2007, 11:04:56 PM »
Thanks Simon. I needed to be reeled in! LOL!

Bob

Live Earth

Offline David Tomkins

• Advanced Member
Live Earth
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2007, 02:23:46 AM »
i refused to watch the concert because  thought it was a cynical and misguided way of playing a big gig in front of lots of customers and selling more records.  They think they are doing something useful by 'impassioned' ranting about switching lights off and carbon footprints.  If you are worried about energy, turn off the gig lights/videoscreens/PA/satellite feeds etc.  they probably all got into big 4x4 cars and drove to the airport afterwards anyway.
lecture us, then go back and be a hypocrite.
live earth as a concept sucked.
there.  said it.  just put suit of armour on.
any views?

2005 Green Quilted Maple Custom Mojo, 2006 Parker Fly T-Shirt, 2006 Parker Fly Baseball Cap.  A triple-whammy of Parker goodness!!
2005 Green Quilted Maple Custom Mojo signed by Steve Vai, 2006 Parker Fly T-Shirt, 2006 Parker Fly Baseball Cap.  A triple-whammy of Parker goodness!!

Live Earth

Offline Yoyo

Live Earth
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2007, 05:42:14 AM »
Cut and paste was mentioned earlier on in this topic. A really great piece of work was done by David Torn on a track called "Pay Me No Mind" on the album "Jeff" by Jeff Beck.
David Torn himself has been voted experimental guitarist of the year and as he's had J.B.s incredible guitar playing to sample he's come up with a great example of this type.
The only thing that exists is this moment now.

Live Earth

Offline uburoibob

Live Earth
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2007, 06:48:31 AM »
If you actively didn't watch, by not turning your tv on, then it worked. If you watched the other channel, then keep at it. We'll do our best to save the earth for you...

Bob