Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Live Earth  (Read 6508 times)

jwrooker

Live Earth
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2007, 08:09:50 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by David Tomkins

i refused to watch the concert because  thought it was a cynical and misguided way of playing a big gig in front of lots of customers and selling more records.  They think they are doing something useful by 'impassioned' ranting about switching lights off and carbon footprints.  If you are worried about energy, turn off the gig lights/videoscreens/PA/satellite feeds etc.  they probably all got into big 4x4 cars and drove to the airport afterwards anyway.
lecture us, then go back and be a hypocrite.
live earth as a concept sucked.
there.  said it.  just put suit of armour on.
any views?

I agree with you.  I grew up in the 60's, played the hippie thing, believed that "we could change the world" and then looked on with disgust as the past and present President, members of my generation, proved how misguided we all were.  

Talking to Americans and Europeans about conserving to "Save the Earth" is preaching to the choir.  Since the 70's we've all been driving cleaner cars, dealing with ever more stringent EPA controls.  The USA is no longer a manufacturing giant..that has all moved to the third world, where they don't give a good darn about emissions and the environment.  If one really cares about the environment, he'd better be driving a Prius or bicycling to work.  Otherwise, don't be preaching to me.  

I have grown so tired of do gooders like Ms Crow who want us to use one sheet of toilet paper to save the earth while she has three semis and a private limo waiting in the parking lot.  In the 60's we had folk singers who made social commentary and for the most part, they lived the life.  I seriously doubt if any "artist" who participated in Live Earth has any idea of what that is all about.  Most are multi millionaires with mansions in multiple locations.  It's all a load of crap.  

I had intended to stay out of this thread.  My degree is in biological sciences and I was active in the ecology group while in college.  Because of this I don't trust any politician (Al Gore) as a source of reliable information on the environment.  There is a lot of conflicting information and you need to look at all the data before getting out to march in the Save The Earth parade.  

Here in Rochester, it was 96 yesterday, BUT the record for the day is 102 set in.....1936!  Last year, we had the warmest December on record, but one of the coldest February's.  

And I don't even drink coffee..

John
Rochester, NY
* 96 Fly Standard * 98 Fly Classic w/Gen 1's
* 98 Fly Classic w/Gen 2's * 01 Fly Single 2
* 02 NiteFly M w/Virtual PAF's * 03 Fly Mojo W/Pearly Gates
* 05 Southern NiteFly
Parker Chat: http://www.jwrooker.com/mychat
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 08:10:31 AM by jwrooker »

Live Earth

Offline uburoibob

• Bob Martin 11:11
Live Earth
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2007, 08:56:30 AM »
I bicycle to work...

Bob

1997 Parker Fly Concert Burnt Butterscotch  â€¢  1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch  â€¢  1998 Fly Classic in Transparent Dark Blue  â€¢  1998 Fly Classic in Cherry Red with DiBurro Roland Mod •  http://bobmartin1111.com
1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch -   2000 Fly Standard Classic in Cherry Red - http://bobmartin1111.com

Live Earth

jwrooker

Live Earth
« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2007, 09:18:59 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by uburoibob

I bicycle to work...

Bob

And that's good for you physically, good for you economically and hopefully good for the environment.  I bike almost everywhere, but I admit to emitting some greenhouse gases from time to time...  [:D]

John
Rochester, NY
* 05 Southern NiteFly

Live Earth

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
Live Earth
« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2007, 04:25:53 PM »
Despite less manufactoring, the US still consumes more hydrocarbons and has the largest greenhouse (carbon)footprint. Thats amazing considering our small population.

John is right in that the third world countries say "you already got yours, now you can't deny us ours". This attitude is expected and will be a problem. But we still consume way more. Lots of things aren't fair. But do we want to gamble with the inhabitability of the planet?

The two biggest mistakes made in spreading the word about this very real threat are:

#1 Calling it "global warming".

Some places will actually be cooler, others places will be warmer. Regional whether patterns will be disrupted and they shpuld have called this "Disruptive Climate Change" or something like that. Its only a worldwide net warming and as little as one degree average temp warmer for earth will have a huge effect over our childrens lifetime.
Lots of people confuse this and don't understand because they say it was colder than ever last feb 4th. They don't get it and probably never will. Buffers in biology allow for variations of parameters with little effect but only to a point. When the buffer is used up, a tiny further change has huge effect. That is where we are.

# 2 Allowing Al Gore to be the spokesperson for this problem. That fact alone did more damage than anything. Smart man but boring and politically charged. The political backlash should have been predicted. The movie he narrated was very good. But at several points he did take political jabs that were biased or counterproductive. He politisized an issue that needed to be non politisized. They made a huge mistake by not getting an unknown but respected charismatic and non politically vested scientest to host it. Al didn't write the script or facts of that movie. He was just a talking head. I give him credit for bringing it up but he should have realized a lot of people would poo poo it cause they are opposite his politics.

I challenge you John to go watch it and pretend its not Gore but a biology teacher talking and see if you don't feel differently.(He will have to make an effort to ignore the politisizing).

I also have a BS in Biology. I think its very real. I also give Bush some credit for tecently back tracking and acknwologing this is a big problem when he went so long saying it wasn't definite. Of course he is not willing to do anything about it. Its way easier to believe its not a big deal.

I know we are not suppose to talk politics but I really don't think this is political. All I ask is that you really do your own research. Not just think it through your beliefs. Get objective. Ask what the scientests all over the world who dedicate thier lives studying this all over the world say about it. And don't choose the rare obscure scientests that some ideological organizations have fronted to parade around to cast doubt. Go the the real thing.

Then ask yourself, AM I bending reality to fit what I already want to believe?

Custom '03 Hardtail Artist ; Fly Deluxe 2000; Gibson ES137(4sale); 1974 K.Yari DY85; SchecterDisposable; Martin Backpacker/paddle combo;VoxAD30VT;SWR California Blonde
« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 07:32:29 PM by Bill »
A few Flys in my soup

Live Earth

jwrooker

Live Earth
« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2007, 06:04:24 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Bill

Then ask yourself, AM I bending reality to fit what I already want to believe?

I kind of think that the jury is still out on the reality of the problem.  However, in truth, what can I really do about it?  Because I did major in Biology, I have always been conservative in my energy usage.  Back when everyone drove gas hogs, we drove Beetles.  Today, we drive less than 7,000 miles per year in a car that gets 25-30 mpg. Our next car is going to be a Prius.  I used to work in the lighting industry and switched over to compact fluorescent before most people even knew they existed.  I have a High efficiency furnace that I bought when they weren't the cool thing to buy (90+). Anything I need to get to independently is done on foot or bike.

I'm not denying that it is something that needs to be addressed, but it is the cool cause right now and a whole bunch of idiots disguised as rock stars, actors, former vice presidents are jumping on the bandwagon and I hate that.  Having rock stars preaching conservation is like having Barry Bonds do anti Human Growth Hormone Public Service Messages. [:D]

I've edited twice and it still doesn't say what I want so I'm giving up.  [:D]

John
Rochester, NY
* 05 Southern NiteFly
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 06:28:50 PM by jwrooker »

Live Earth

Offline Roland

Live Earth
« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2007, 06:42:57 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by uburoibobWhat must it be like to have to play David Gilmour's lines note for note in Roger Water's band?

Waters' guitarist is Dave Kilminster.  Dave is in his 20s,  Some of us in the UK have been watching his career since he won the UK's "Young Guitarist of the Year" award a few years back.  I guess Dave enjoys being solvent after years of living on a shoe string. He also probably enjoys touring worldwide with one of the leading live attractions, and emulating the skills of one of the world's greatest living guitarists.

There are worse things in life.

Roland
Roland
Read about 2008 India   http://mrspoppadum.blogspot.com/

Live Earth

jwrooker

Live Earth
« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2007, 07:21:21 PM »
Thanks, Roland for getting us back on a guitar topic! [:D]

Guys, I apologize for venting and getting off what started as a music topic.  This whole environment thing has me both concerned, frustrated and very confused and not knowing who to believe any more (along with the war), but that shouldn't be your problem.  I'll shaddup now.

John
Rochester, NY
* 05 Southern NiteFly

Live Earth

Offline prjacobs

Live Earth
« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2007, 10:27:15 PM »
Hi all,
Being basically a new forum member who doesn't know anyone, I'd like to say that I always find things to learn here, and enjoy everyone's passion.  Despite strongly different opinions at times, I find courtesy and support are the general rule here and I appreciate it.  
A couple of things....
It's funny, but when you go to a concert hall and hear a Beethoven symphony they don't call the orchestra a cover band.  As Roland mentions, there's no shame in playing someone else's music.  Especially if you love it and it's great. I occasionally play in a Beatles cover band... I'm sort of the Paul McCartney singer and the George Harrison guitarist. At age 57, it's sometimes a little surreal, but I have fun.
cmpkllyrslf96, I watched the videos that you posted, and liked them a lot.  Actually 2 stuck out for me.  Ebonics is great on many levels and Supernatural is a great improviser.  I worked with Christopher Guest, John Belushi, Bill Murry, Chevy Chase, Gilda Radner and the like for almost 4 years, at least 400 performances, and to witness great improvisation is amazing.  Chris Guest was the best.  He could improvise on the spot in fake Italian, German, Finnish.... you name it.  I guess for me there's a line between spoken words and sung words, and you might argue that hip hop is redefining those lines.  I just prefer melody.  How much rhythm makes poetry music?  I guess beatniks reading poetry with bongos were the beginning.  When do you add the term "musician."
Bob - I guess I was on my pulpit a bit about my musical tastes and thank you for that bit of cold water in the face.  I do appreciate the simplest musical statement as well as the most complex ones.  Heck, it's what I've done for a living for 40 years.  I had no plan B.  Personally I can take about 3 Steely Dan songs and then I glaze over.  Forget about them live, they are so boring it's beyond belief.... to me, that is:)  Maybe all that biking to work gives you a shot at recreating the energy of punk music, but for me, I'll leave it to the hormonally over saturated teenagers.  They don't have to try and find the energy, or at times the anger.... It's just there.
I do agree that liking hip hop can be a generational thing, but I don't necessarily feel that it equates with the "rock music is the lowest denominator" mindset.  I'm sure that some people feel that way, but not me.
Yoyo, I'll check out Davin Torn.  Yes, cutting and pasting can be art when done by an artist.  However, with some contemporary art, pretenders can ascend to the throne.  Let's say I compiled 10,000 samples, 5 seconds long, threw the I Ching and arranged them in a mathematical representation of the hexagram, forward, backward, retrograde, etc.  Let's say that I also look really trendy.  Is it art?  I don't know.  
There are lots of musical styles that can't be faked.  (Pick your favorite one and defend it here:)  
We all love music, and when we hear what we truly love, there's nothing like it.  
For me, hip hop isn't what I love.  I just can't seem to stop resenting the gun toting, women hating bullies that seem to dominate the genre.  Yes, I know it's not all like that...... It can be argued that corporate America sells us that...  Scare us and sell us protection.

Anyway, as you can see, I've got far too much time on my hands.  I'll be joining my wife and 2 kids on a much needed vacation tomorrow.
Now, back to the All Star game.  Go American league!

Best,
Paul
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 10:32:14 PM by prjacobs »

Live Earth

Offline loumt123

Live Earth
« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2007, 10:49:44 PM »
I'm just glad you took the time to check it out. Appreciated [:)].

Live Earth

Offline uburoibob

• Bob Martin 11:11
Live Earth
« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2007, 12:06:07 PM »
Paul,

I certainly didn't mean to single you out. Some of the other comments were getting a little too close to being racist for my comfort level. There are those who would argue that racism is a subjective thing, and I am certain elements are. But the overall effect is absolutely objective, and born out at every level of society.

I actually pulled up short of criticizing chubby older-middle aged white men who view anyone else's success as an affront on their own, but in a post or two here, it was showing as more than congestive subtext.

So, I put myself out there and expressed my subjective opinions about a variety of genres and figured that might get the point across. Perhaps all it  did was make most people say "wow, Bob has really crappy taste in music...".

Anyway, Paul, sounds like you've got a heck of a portfolio and I'd love to see it as a web site. I think it'd give all of us armchair pilots a great look at what's involved in being a pro.

Bob

1997 Parker Fly Concert Burnt Butterscotch  â€¢  1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch  â€¢  1998 Fly Classic in Transparent Dark Blue  â€¢  1998 Fly Classic in Cherry Red with DiBurro Roland Mod •  http://bobmartin1111.com
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 12:07:35 PM by uburoibob »
1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch -   2000 Fly Standard Classic in Cherry Red - http://bobmartin1111.com

Live Earth

Offline rld25

Live Earth
« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2007, 11:11:04 AM »
I just gotta say how much I love this forum. There is no other guitar forum that compares with the intellectual level here. [;)]

I personally feel that Live Earth was a great promotional tool, but the follow up will tell! Bob Geldof is still not sure about what he started.

The hardest thing to balance is the connection with the Earth of which we are all citizens and responsible to with playing electric guitars. [:D]

Hey Paul, what about a solar amp in Vegas! [8D]

On a musical note, I was hoping to hear more from Philip Sayce playing behind Melissa. I think he's a talented player and really enjoy his solo album Peace Machine.

Well, off to get some more biodiesel for my little equipment hauler (Jetta diesel wagon -- 50mpg).

Peace! Be Green! [^][^][^]

'93 Fly Deluxe,'05 Fly Mojo Flame S/C, '06 Southern Nitefly
Lane

Live Earth

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
Live Earth
« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2007, 05:11:10 PM »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/07/12/AR2007071201835.html

[;)]

Custom '03 Hardtail Artist ; Fly Deluxe 2000; Gibson ES137(4sale); 1974 K.Yari DY85; SchecterDisposable; Martin Backpacker/paddle combo;VoxAD30VT;SWR California Blonde
A few Flys in my soup

Live Earth

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
Live Earth
« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2007, 07:20:31 PM »
No editorializing or commentary please. No rock stars or psuedo celebs here.

Just presenting another front page article if anyone is intertested, by a nationally respected newspaper which also quotes recognized scientests at a very respected university. (Duke University.)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/07/14/AR2007071401246.html?referrer=email

Peace all.

Custom '03 Gen1N/Gen2B Hardtail Artist; Custom '98 Neutered (trem blocked) DuncanModed Artist; Fly Deluxe 2000; Gibson ES137(4sale); 1974 K.Yari DY85; SchecterDisposable; Martin Backpacker/paddle combo;VoxAD30VT;SWR California Blonde(working again and sounding great)
A few Flys in my soup