Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Parker P6EB review  (Read 8998 times)

Offline BLenmark

Parker P6EB review
« on: July 15, 2007, 10:03:28 AM »
I have been watching Ken Parker's design and innovation ever since the Parker Fly won design awards a while back. Naturally, when Parker announced an acoustic line, my interest was piqued. It is rare to see an electric brand succesfully make the jump to acoustic, and vice versa. So when a local distributor had a shipment of Parkers, I made the trip and played a few.

My initial visual reaction was "Selmer Maccaferri meets Breedlove" in appointments. The body screamed "look out...sharp curves ahead...speed limit 25 mph". And sonically, I suppose I didn't give it a fair shot, especially with a room full of other acoustics surrounding and beckoning.

But is is funny how life can throw you a curve ball, and a Parker P6 ended up in my studio for a trial period (thanks SFW).

Opening the box, I was non plussed. It had appeared that someone had taken a perfectly good case and distressed it with burnt umber crayola crayon. I then grabbed the handle to set it aside...and it grabbed me back...it was comfortably padded and delicately stiched . Whoa..what is going on here? I haven't even opened the case yet and I was intrigued. The case was actually aged and distressed, and had a very understated logo on the arched top. So on to the guitar.

Opening the case revealed a green satin sheath over a crushed velvet lining...something I hadn't seen since my Gibson Montana J-45 years ago. Peeling back the sheath revealed a thin body, solid topped 25.5" scale stage designed acoustic dressed up in gloss black:

Here are the specifications:

Body Type: Custom-designed slim-profile acoustic

Finish: Gloss

Neck Wood: Mahogany

Neck Shape: Custom

Top Wood: Spruce

Back Wood: Mahogany

Side Wood: Mahogany

Machine Heads: Grover Sta-tite

Scale Length: 25"

Fingerboard: Ebony

No. of Frets: 19

Position Markers: Microdot

Pickups: Fishman magnetic neck pickup plus Fishman Acoustic Matrix system

Controls: Master volume, Mag/Piezo blend, active bass and treble controls

Pickup Switching: Blend control

Bridge/Tailpiece: Solid ebony with compensated saddle

After changing the strings and tuning up, I was surprised to hear a much fuller tone than I had expected. Being primarily a stage guitar with a thin body for minimizing feedback, I heard remarkable tone, sustain, and dynamics. Believe it or not, I was thinking of the Taylor 12 series that David Gilmour played on his live solo DVD. Much bigger than other purpose designed A/Es I have owned, but certainly not approaching dread or jumbo acoustically.

Then I plugged in to my Fender Acoustasonic Junior. Wow! The learning curve on the controlls was steep, and I was soon dialing in some tasty jazz tones. The piezo was a little "quacky", but that was remedied with a twist of the treble knob. And the thin body held true to it's design, with no feedback untill I went over the top with the volume control. And talk about quiet...virtually noiseless, even though my wireless. As it was approaching my son's bedtime, it was time to quiet down the house and let the Parker rest until I could get it into the hands of trainied professionals tomorrow.

The next day I enlisted the independent opinions of several luthiers and pros. The set up was deemed to be in spec, with the only demerits being:

Some frets were slightly sharp on the ends, there was a hole drilled in one of the braces to route a wire (probably not a concern), and the curious cap on the fingerboard (later revealed itself to be a truss rod cover). And I am not yet sold on the tuners, but time will tell.

In plugging int a Genz Benz Pro amp, the P6 really came alive. Some comments were "very versatile", "super fast neck", "what is THAT?", "I didn't know Parker was doing this", "sounds great" (I gave credit to the amp at this point).

The easy part of the decision came from my wife who loved it aesthetically. Read this again, gentlemen (and ladies, too). I was prepared for the "not one more guitar" battle, but didn't have to gird up my loins.

So, short story long, The P6EB now resides in the woodpile next to it's Nazareth and Bozeman native cousins. More to follow as events warrant, but feel free to e-mail me for thoughts/additional feedback.

Regards,

Bret

Bret_Lenmark@yahoo.com
Parker P6EB
Tacoma Papoose
Regal Dobro

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m...ark/030406.jpg

Parker P6EB review

Offline ChicagoKid

• http://www.USCustomShop.com
Parker P6EB review
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 02:05:29 PM »
That was a wonderful review, Bret. You should take up writing for the trade mags. I really enjoyed this. Thanks!

www.USCustomShop.com <coming soon>
www.USCustomShop.com <coming soon>

Parker P6EB review

Offline uburoibob

• Bob Martin 11:11
Parker P6EB review
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 08:50:50 PM »
Agreed - a nearly thorough review, Brett. One minor edit - you lead the review with Ken's name, but for the Parker acoustics, there was absolutely no involvement from Ken Parker. These were designed by Parker Guitars in Illinois, to be built offshore and imported.

If you want to see what Ken is up to, visit his website: www.kenparkerarchtops.com

Bob

1997 Parker Fly Concert Burnt Butterscotch  â€¢  1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch  â€¢  1998 Fly Classic in Transparent Dark Blue  â€¢  1998 Fly Classic in Cherry Red with DiBurro Roland Mod •  http://bobmartin1111.com
1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch -   2000 Fly Standard Classic in Cherry Red - http://bobmartin1111.com

Parker P6EB review

Offline BLenmark

Parker P6EB review
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 12:08:59 PM »
Thanks for the feedback, PGF members.  This is certainly a knowledgeable group.  In response to feedback from members of similar on line forums who wanted further information regarding the Parker Acoustic family, I submit:

I played a P8 as a follow on and found it more suitable to an unamplified venue than the P6. Dynamics were there, and the volume and bottom were more more present. Still, my verdict is that this Parker family is primarily a stage guitar. The pick up blend that suited me best was about 60/40 favoring the magnetic, and perhaps a touch of the treble rolled off.

feel free to e-mail me with additional questions and comments as I would enjoy the discourse.

Regards,

Bret

Bret_Lenmark@yahoo.com

Parker P6EB review

Offline Dewy

• http://www.myspace.com/dewydidit
Parker P6EB review
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 08:21:34 AM »
At no point Bob, did he imply or suggest Ken Parker had anything to do with this guitar. You might be a tad sensitive to any mention of Ken Parker's name, relax... no one is insulting Mr. Parker here. It seems to be a fine guitar that incidentally bears his name. Are you planning to comment on every review of a new guitar with the Parker nomenclature that it isn't a real "Parker"?

The only thing I found missing from this fine review was the suggested retail price, and then a purchase price.

The review certainly has me interested, thanks for the post.
So tell me again, where are we going, and why are we in a handbasket?

Parker P6EB review

Offline Detonator

• http://myspace.com/detonator6
Parker P6EB review
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 01:56:35 AM »
Dewy, I respect your opinion, but I have to agree with bob.  Although likely unintentional, the implication was there.

98 Fly Classic (trans emerald green)
93 strat plus
05 Schecter tempest Custom
04 Takamine AN10
ENGL Powerball 100 head
Boogie Recto 4x12
Roland Microcube
Lots of FX
98 Fly Classic (trans emerald green)
93 strat plus
04 Takamine AN10
Mesa Boogie Mark IV
Mills Acoustics Afterburner 412b
Roland Microcube
FX

Parker P6EB review

Offline justwatching

Parker P6EB review
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 08:57:03 AM »
Thanks for the post B!!! Lets not go off the deep end here.[:o)]

carpe vola
carpe vola
And remember, if you are ever lost, you are always directly above the center of the earth.

Parker P6EB review

Offline larrybgoode

Parker P6EB review
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 12:28:08 PM »
I just bought a P8E in Trans Black off Ebay.  I was very undecided as I hovered over the Buy it Now button, due to the seeming disrespect amongst many folks for the Parker P series of acoustics.  Especially coming from folks here at the Parker Forum.  But it was a great deal, I was jonesing for an acoustic and hadn't been knocked out by some of the higher end names I'd been trying so click on the button I did.  I've only had the guitar a short while, but have to say my initial response is happily (and with some sense of relief), very positive.  Sound, looks, playability, the whole nine yards.  I also have a Parker Fly Deluxe which I love.  Ken Parker endorsed or not, It's all good.

Parker P6EB review

Offline unkynorm

Parker P6EB review
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 02:36:13 PM »
Just took delivery on a P6ER. To start,after being ground shipped (3,000 or so miles)from Atlanta Georgia via Minneapolis to Regina Sask. Canada arriving in -15 C weather. I let this thing acclimatize for an hour. Opened the case and it blew me away as it was in PERFECT TUNE. I ran it through a Presonus Firestudio and Tube Tchnologies pre amps into Tannoy Buckingham Monitors and the blended sound is phenominal. Unplugged is also surprisingly full for it's thickness a testimony to how well Parker has blended and crafted the mahogony. Love pickin it in closed quarters where I get a close proximity reflected sound back from a mahogony bi fold door. It has especially nice midrange presence for solo pickin also. Hats off to Parker on this one also (even without Ken's hand in this) , shame they've been discontinued.

Re: Parker P6EB review

Offline ZemanG2

Re: Parker P6EB review
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 05:13:21 AM »
My wife picked out and bought my p10e, the ladies love it. In fact I have another friend who is looking for one because his wife likes too.
I have guitars, most are beyond my playing level, but I love them all!