Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Guthrie Govan  (Read 3207 times)

Offline aurian4parker

Guthrie Govan
« on: July 24, 2007, 07:00:00 PM »
is anyone else obsessed with him? or is it just me

[:0]

14 Yrs Old and A passion for Music.

-Parker P-44.(flamed top, yum)  
-Orange 30R.  
-Crappy tele.  
-kay acoustic.  
-kona acoustic.  
-Washburn XB100 Bass
=====================
Just funkin' around :)

amp info- Fender Stage 100 1x12 combo stacked on a Vintage Gretsch 2x12 cab

Guthrie Govan

Offline JSanta

Guthrie Govan
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 07:16:13 PM »

Guthrie Govan

Offline aurian4parker

Guthrie Govan
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 10:53:10 PM »
nice!! haha.

he is awesome, and he gets awesome tone out of that cornford.

so much respect for him.

i think ima start learning on of his songs so i can use it to audition at Berklee

=====================
15 years old with a passion for music. i wanna go to BERKLEE MANNNNNN

=====================

Guthrie Govan

Offline loumt123

Guthrie Govan
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 11:40:19 PM »
take it from someone who's applied to berklee;

Look around at other music schools too...Berklee is not the be all end all.

Guthrie Govan

Offline aurian4parker

Guthrie Govan
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 11:56:00 PM »
can you suggest some other schools? i was hoping on going to a music college then attending Musicians Institute

=====================

=====================

Guthrie Govan

Offline loumt123

Guthrie Govan
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 01:44:00 AM »
Manhattan School of Music has an incredibly rigorous program. New School has a pretty good program and Uarts is my favorite for a few reasons.

Collegeboard could probably help you scope out a few schools. Many of the conservatories specialize in classical music. You'd probably want to take a look at the professors and courses offered.

Uarts is my favorite because it's diverse. First they've got 2 amazing guitar instructors, pat martino and jimmy bruno. These guys are pretty much legends. The school offers a ridiculous amount of ensembles and opportunities. Uarts is really well rounded when it comes to having great players and instruction in ALL areas. There's a ton of opportunities to play. It's in philly, so you're near a ton of local clubs. Can you say work? And the nice thing is it's not so expensive. Berklee is probably better for you if you're into the whole shred guitar thing and you've got a load of cash, but you have an immense amount of options (I wish I'd researched them earlier myself [V])

Do a little research on some schools and find which best suits you. Sorry that this is off topic, but if you want any help or opinions feel free to get in touch. I've been in this position VERY recently and I can certainly tell you things I wish I did differently, and things I am glad I did.

Good luck!

Guthrie Govan

Offline aurian4parker

Guthrie Govan
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 06:55:43 AM »
hm..

the only reason i want berklee is because i want to become an Acoustical Engineer, which i know berklee gives the degree to.  im gonna do that as a backup plan if music doesnt work out for me.

im not into "shred" technically.

i like a mixture of Guthrie Govan and Coheed and Cambria. thats the type of stuff i wanna play.

so basically prog rock/jazz/fusion/whatever. im very versitile

=====================

=====================

Guthrie Govan

Offline JSanta

Guthrie Govan
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 09:14:53 AM »
I think that if you want to go into Acoustical Engineering you should check out programs at Cornell University and Clarkson University, the latter being one of the most well-respected engineering colleges in the Country.  Berklee is a fine school, but as Lou noted, it's not the be-all-end-all of schools.  When I was 15, I felt the same way as you do, but I began to realize that there were other better options out there.  Don't think that going to Berklee will mean that you will be better off than other people, it just means that you spent nearly $200,000 on school.  My honest advice is to not making performance your major goal in life, rather make it secondary, especially in school.  Study something that will give you the foundations later in life to pursue music comfortably.  I had to make that choice a few years back, and while I hadn't really envisioned myself being where I am now, I'm quite glad that I did.  I have a new car, a steady paycheck, health, dental, and housing, a few guitar toys to mess around with when I'm not working.

/jim

Guthrie Govan

Offline aurian4parker

Guthrie Govan
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007, 01:43:13 PM »
holy crap!!

200k for berklee? thats four years right?

arent most colleges these days like 50k a year?

so that should be about right? im not sure.

i just know i really want to go to a music college, and the thing is me and my jam buddy, and believe i dont want to ever jam with anyone else. and im not looking forward to "meet" anyone else at a music college.  we were both planning on going to Berklee and putting a band together there.

and i wanna study guitar AND being an Acoustical Consultant.  and i dont want to have a day job and do music on the side.

honestly im saying music isnt a side thing for me, i WANT that to be my life. i want to be a musicians and play in a band and give lessons as a day job.  but then if my band doesnt work out like after a few years, or we dont get anywhere THAN i will whip out my engineering degree and make a living for myself

=====================

=====================

Guthrie Govan

Offline loumt123

Guthrie Govan
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2007, 02:12:36 PM »
Well the thing is college is getting increasingly expensive and harder to get in to, but if I recall correctly Berklee is more money than Manhattan School of Music, and Manhattan has QUITE a reputation.
I believe alot of good schools are less than half the price berklee is.

Guthrie Govan

Offline JSanta

Guthrie Govan
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2007, 02:30:04 PM »
Not to be pretentious, but your age shows in this circumstance.  I was the same way 7 years ago.  But as I grew up, and my band grew up, priorities changed, and I had to have a legitimate job to keep going with music.  Guitar strings aren't free, neither is rent, tuition, books, girlfriends, gas, etc.  And yes, schools can cost upwards of 50k a year when you factor in housing, food, books, and other essentials.  

Don't take what I say as a negative thing, just be aware that having performace, with your best friend, as your life-time goal, might in fact limit your future.  During the summers, most employers are going to want to see you doing internships, not trying to find record contracts.  And when they ask for experience, they want something in the field, not a waiter.

EDIT:  And if you're asking yourself, who am I to say anything.  When I was 18 my band actually signed a record contract.  However, after a year of playing all over the state (when we had time inbetween high school and college) we decided that our futures couldn't be relient upon our band.  That being said, my bassist starts his first year of Law School this coming semester, my drummer is in his last year of school, studying chemical engineering and will be working at GM in their fuel cell research when he graduates (all those internships paid off), the other guitarist is currently in Japan and is an English teacher.  As for the singer and myself, we are both serving in the United States Army; I am a Guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, and my singer is an intelligence collector working in Seoul, Korea.

/jim
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 02:35:55 PM by JSanta »

Guthrie Govan

Offline aurian4parker

Guthrie Govan
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2007, 04:37:14 PM »
no man. its cool. i understand that i have a lot to learn. and i need to get my priotities straight but, as long as i go to a music college i'll be happy.

and i can promise you im not gonnat go off being a teacher or a chemical engineer. music is all i want to do and all i will want to do. you may still disagree with that, and you should because you are an adult and you have more experiences than me.  You know what you are talking about.

but i kid can dream :) haha

=====================

=====================

Guthrie Govan

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
Guthrie Govan
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2007, 05:42:05 PM »
Dream on dude.

I think you are very mature thinking at this stage.

A Degree in music engineering could be a viable fall back position that lets you work in the field.

Lots of kids have no fall back position and when their band days run dry, they may have trouble.

JSanta's words were very wise too. He and his friends had loads of talent. Yet they were smart to develope fall back options early on. And it is evident that music will always be a big part of his life too [:)]

Custom '03 Gen1N/Gen2B Hardtail Artist; Custom '98 Neutered (trem blocked) DuncanModed Artist; Fly Deluxe 2000; Gibson ES137(4sale); 1974 K.Yari DY85; SchecterDisposable; Martin Backpacker/paddle combo;VoxAD30VT;SWR California Blonde(working again and sounding great)
A few Flys in my soup

Guthrie Govan

Offline loumt123

Guthrie Govan
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2007, 06:02:44 PM »
Here's an intersting tidbit for you guys-

I read that a world renowned concert violinist was put on the streets to see how much money he could make. If I recall correctly he made 30 dollars.

Guthrie Govan

Offline JSanta

Guthrie Govan
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2007, 06:27:05 PM »
That was right here in DC Lou.  The guy was playing a Stratovarious at our Main Hub and people just meandered past him as he was playing these beautiful classical pieces.

And don't get me wrong, I don't disagree with you, just offering some advice from my past experiences.  Good luck!

/jim