Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Guthrie Govan  (Read 3320 times)

Offline aurian4parker

Guthrie Govan
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2007, 01:38:38 PM »
Yea, i enjoy hearing your experiences.  Not only are you helping me to push myself forward musically and most important, educationally as well   but you are just looking out for me as a Parker "brother" and thats cool. I mean i need to know what goes on out there in the "real" world, for my benifit, so i dont grow up to be an idiot.

I dont care for being rich or famous, i just wanna make a good living doing what i love. as long as im living comfortably im ok.  

thanks for the support guys and the extra kick in the rear [:D]

=====================
15 years old with a passion for music. i wanna go to BERKLEE MANNNNNN

amp info- Fender Stage 100 1x12 combo stacked on a Vintage Gretsch 2x12 cab
=====================
Just funkin' around :)

Guthrie Govan

Offline JSanta

Guthrie Govan
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2007, 07:13:12 AM »
I can tell you it was great to be able to make a somewhat decent living with my band, but I sincerely got to a point when I decided that having the ability to be secure in the future became important.  For my bands' last big show, our local paper (The Democrat and Chronicle for your Rochesterians on the board) wrote up a huge article about us and I was quoted as saying did I want to pursue music or be able to buy shoes.  While I partially meant it as tongue and cheek, the reality was that I wanted to know that I could make my next car payment and be able to buy strings at the same time.  I certainly wish you the best of luck.  But it's off to bed for me, I just got off of a 27 hour shift at the Tomb and I am starting to get a bit delirious haha.

/jim

Guthrie Govan

Offline portnoy

• http://www.facebook.com/pages/Huntingdon-United-Kingdom/MusicStreetUK/193947947906?ref=ts
Guthrie Govan
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2007, 08:37:42 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by aurian4parker

no man. its cool. i understand that i have a lot to learn. and i need to get my priotities straight but, as long as i go to a music college i'll be happy.

and i can promise you im not gonnat go off being a teacher or a chemical engineer. music is all i want to do and all i will want to do. you may still disagree with that, and you should because you are an adult and you have more experiences than me.  You know what you are talking about.

but i kid can dream :) haha

=====================

at 12 all i wanted to be was a vet. I wanted to save every animal in the world.

Now i butcher and cook them[}:)]

Kavan,

07' Fly deluxe - ice blue burst
Marshall Vintage modern 100w head + 4x12 cabinet
Orange tiny terror 15/7w

Guthrie Govan

Offline uburoibob

• Bob Martin 11:11
Guthrie Govan
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2007, 09:40:32 PM »
Being a musician... it means living the life you love - and a very spare existance. Most people who make their living as musicians (save the big rock stars - becoming one has less chances than winning the lottery) can't afford the number of instruments you have pictured in your signature. It will mean a pretty spartan existance. Giving lessons or teaching will be your primary means of making a living, and at $20 an hour, you are barely gonna be able to pay the rent. BUT if music is truly what you love - and I mean music, not being a rock star - then go for it. My friends who do this, and there are a lot of them... most absolutely stellar players - are very humble people who get by on what they make.

Myself, I chose a different path. I am absolutely passionate about music. Always have been. Have always had a band of some kind. Have always played guitar (since I was 10). But I also found that I loved other people - one enough to marry, one who was my son. Taking care of them meant FAR more money than I could make having music as a career. And thinking about not working into my 70s just to keep a little food on the table also guided my decision to do something else during the day and keep music my passion.

A funny thing happens when you turn your passion into your job - you get bogged down in making it work to pay you ALL the time. And it drains the joy out of it. If you can find something you are good at and love to do, but aren't really passionate about that will earn you a better than meager living, then you can afford the toys, and the wife and the kid.

Acoustic Engineers can make good money. But if you are thinking "record producer/engineer" then again, it's like winning the lottery. If you are thinking about being the guy who specs the acoustical tiles/wiring/speakers/public address system that goes into the next new building downtown or the next new church in the suburbs, then you are on the right track.

Just remember that all the glam jobs take a tremendous amount of skill - the best of the best - who all get in line and hope their number is drawn. And with millions of them out there, and only a dozen or so numbers being drawn a year, it might make sense to have another ambition, and save your passion for yourself.

Just letting you know how the real world works.

All that said... what the heck - if you wanna go out a give it all you've got and win the rockstar lottery, then go for it! I would've at 15!

Oh yeah! I LOVE Guthrie.

Bob

1997 Parker Fly Concert Burnt Butterscotch  â€¢  1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch  â€¢  1998 Fly Classic in Transparent Dark Blue  â€¢  1998 Fly Classic in Cherry Red with DiBurro Roland Mod •  http://bobmartin1111.com
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 09:44:23 PM by uburoibob »
1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch -   2000 Fly Standard Classic in Cherry Red - http://bobmartin1111.com

Guthrie Govan

Offline bostjan

• http://hometown.aol.com/__121b_L3tSnijvtzp0yjselCuPrmUti1/crMEW
Guthrie Govan
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2007, 08:07:41 AM »
My advice is to follow your heart.

No matter what you do, life is a major struggle.  I grew up with everyone telling me to get a Master's degree and work really really hard in school, and that life would be a piece of cake after that.  What I've learned is that getting an M.S. in physics with research excellence honors and all of those little fancy nuggets has done squat for my career.  It's helped me think in new ways, but I've made ten times more money teaching guitar lessons and a hundred times more money gigging locally than I have made with that degree.  I don't regret doing what I did, but I do wish that I would have known a little more of what to expect.

Guthrie Govan

Offline torhaa

Guthrie Govan
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2007, 07:08:55 AM »
Not obsessed, but I really enjoy his latest album. Be sure you get to hear Wonderful Slippery Thing: http://youtube.com/watch?v=xMJH1r_YSaM ! It's so nice.

Guthrie Govan

Offline David Tomkins

• Advanced Member
Guthrie Govan
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2007, 09:28:34 AM »
good to see you are still around, bostjan, haven't heard from you in a while

Guthrie is an awesome player - he's finally getting the recognition his talent deserves

2005 Green Quilted Maple Custom Mojo, 2006 Parker Fly T-Shirt, 2006 Parker Fly Baseball Cap.  A triple-whammy of Parker goodness!!
2005 Green Quilted Maple Custom Mojo signed by Steve Vai, 2006 Parker Fly T-Shirt, 2006 Parker Fly Baseball Cap.  A triple-whammy of Parker goodness!!

Guthrie Govan

Offline aurian4parker

Guthrie Govan
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2007, 05:51:43 PM »
Yea man, I have heard the whole album.  I own it.  It's AMAZING.

Guthrie is definitely my favorite guitarist.

And I just bought a slide, after seeing him play fives, and wonderful slippery thing...

=====================

=====================
Just funkin' around :)

Guthrie Govan

Offline JSanta

Guthrie Govan
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2007, 02:05:21 PM »
Well, Guthrie doesn't use a slide on Wonderful Slippery Thing, but nonetheless the albums is pure gold.  I think I should just quit playing when I hear him.

EDIT:  If you want to see some slide masters, check out songs by Derek Trucks, Johnny Winter, Warren Hanes, and ::gasp::  Duane Allman.

/jim
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 02:19:55 PM by JSanta »

Guthrie Govan

Offline Axisus

Guthrie Govan
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2007, 03:53:02 PM »
Love GG. one of my top 3 guitarists these days. You guys seen this superb improv???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUZK9dasP8s