Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Phi Keaggy.  (Read 2354 times)

Offline Hoovooloo

Phi Keaggy.
« on: June 11, 2005, 05:52:05 PM »
Any fan?
We are at the very beginning of time for the human race. It is not unreasonable that we grapple with problems. But there are tens of thousands of years in the future. Our responsibility is to do what we can, learn what we can, improve the solutions, and pass them on. -
Richard P. Feynman

Phi Keaggy.

Offline JSanta

Phi Keaggy.
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2005, 06:05:36 PM »
He is the first person that actually made me want a Fly.  His album that was inspired by that guitar is incredible.  I really enjoy his instrumental music, otherwise, praise music bothers me, but he is great.

-Jim

"Do not speak.  Unless it improves on silence."
           -Buddha

Phi Keaggy.

Offline Hoovooloo

Phi Keaggy.
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2005, 08:04:51 PM »
The lyrics are kind of annoying, but I think the guitar work makes up for it.
We are at the very beginning of time for the human race. It is not unreasonable that we grapple with problems. But there are tens of thousands of years in the future. Our responsibility is to do what we can, learn what we can, improve the solutions, and pass them on. -
Richard P. Feynman

Phi Keaggy.

Offline JSanta

Phi Keaggy.
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2005, 06:24:55 AM »
I don't think the lyrics are annoying at all.  I am just not a Christian, so the lyrics don't appeal to me.  But otherwise he is fantastic.

-Jim

"Do not speak.  Unless it improves on silence."
           -Buddha

Phi Keaggy.

Offline ADV

Phi Keaggy.
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2005, 10:19:46 PM »
Good player. Crappy subject matter.

Phi Keaggy.

Offline Gorbyrev

Phi Keaggy.
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2005, 06:12:42 PM »
I really like Keaggy. I studied for exams listening to "The Wind and the Wheat". I love many of his lyrics but have always had that sense that he was holding something in reserve. Doug Pinnick and Jerry Gaskil of King's X used to play in his backing band, and Ty Tabor cites him as a key influence. But they say the same, that Phil somewhat hides his light under a bushel.
The last Keaggy I heard was on the new Neil Morse album "One". He plays a couple of blinders their which have his trademark fluid timing and phrasing. I love the way you think Phil has gone up a blind alley he can't get out from and then blows you away as he resolves the unresolvable phrase. With Mike Portnoy on drums and multi talented Morse everywhere else, it make great listening.
'95 Fly Deluxe, Antique Gold,
'98 NFV6 Nitefly, trans blue
Axe-fx Ultra - vintage tone now the Axe-Fx II is out!

Phi Keaggy.

Offline ADV

Phi Keaggy.
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2005, 10:45:39 PM »
I felt the same way about Neil Morse. I love Spock's Beard and I think Neil is an incredible musician, but then he got religion and started writing about things that just don't rock me. I have  nothing against any religion its just that the music does not move me the same way as the dark side!!![}:)][;)].
On the flip side, at least artistic direction of guys like Phil and Neil seem to be genuine and not just a gimik like the tools in Creed tried to pull.

Phi Keaggy.

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
Phi Keaggy.
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2005, 12:24:54 PM »
I just learned the other day that Keaggy plays a Parker. It should suit him well since he plays acoustic and electric. He is one of my influences among many others. I have many of his instrumental albums and others.

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com