Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The Quest For Professional Tone  (Read 9312 times)

Offline cy2989

• http://chrisyoungportraits.com
The Quest For Professional Tone
« Reply #90 on: August 02, 2007, 06:39:53 PM »
Diad,

guitar-->Audio Inteface input--->USB port on computer--->GR2--->Audio interface output--->Powered Monitors.  It's just that simple and it doesn't matter whether you use the Rig Kontrol for your interface or not.  The fact is that I don't. I use a t.c. electronics konnect 24d for my interface.

Offline uburoibob

• Bob Martin 11:11
« Reply #91 on: August 02, 2007, 06:41:17 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Diad

uburoibob:  You and Paul Marossy bore me.  Since the two of you have made no valid, sound, or reasonable suggestions, I'll simply ignore you from here on out and concentrate on the excellent advice being offered by what I can tell are real guitar players.  You can both talk yourselves into believing that I'll be missing out on all your combined years of sage wisdom. *yawn* zzzzz

LOL!

Bob

1997 Parker Fly Concert Burnt Butterscotch  â€¢  1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch  â€¢  1998 Fly Classic in Transparent Dark Blue  â€¢  1998 Fly Classic in Cherry Red with DiBurro Roland Mod •  http://bobmartin1111.com
1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch -   2000 Fly Standard Classic in Cherry Red - http://bobmartin1111.com

Offline uburoibob

• Bob Martin 11:11
« Reply #92 on: August 02, 2007, 06:48:55 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Diad

quote:
Originally posted by Steel Pelican

I use the DigiDesign MBox M-Audio FastTrack USB, (http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/FastTrackUSB-main.html) which is basically a USB interface that gives you inputs for guitar and mic, as well as stereo RCA outputs to go to a speaker system.  There's lots of guitar/USB interfaces out there, I know Line6 has a couple different options.  I paid about $100 for my MBox FastTrack, and that's about the going rate for a USB box with those kinds of ins and outs.  I use it solely for recording at the moment, I haven't tried to use my MacBook Pro as a performance tool yet.

Native Instruments has a sort of pedalboard interface that serves as the guitar/computer interface, as well as a performance tool.   I think it also has outputs for going to a PA or a home speaker system. I was very interested in Guitar Rig 2 (with the footpedal dealy) for a while, but at the time it was priced around $500, so I ended up with the ToneLab SE, out of price and complexity concerns.

CY2989's suggestion about GR2 really got me thinking more about this option again.  I got confused on his comment about the use of KRK Rokit 6 speakers.  I wrongly assumed he was going into the computer from the pedal and that the audio was flowing from the computer audio outs to the speakers.  Upon visiting the GR2 website, a diagram indicates that the sound path travels from the pedal, into the computer, out of the computer, back into the pedal, and then out to the speakers.  So I guess the pedal acts as an amplifier.  That's cool.  So you're right about the pedalboard, Greg.  I think I'm going to give this a shot since mid-priced amps and effects haven't yet gotten me the tone I'm seeking.  And if I'm still dissatisfied -- maybe GR2 software updrades in the future will get me there. :)

They are powered monitors. The RIg acts as the interface or soundcard  -  same way any other computer interface works. Simple stuff here.

Diad - I gotta ask - why are you after someone else's sound, anyway? Don't you want to find your own?

Bob

1997 Parker Fly Concert Burnt Butterscotch  â€¢  1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch  â€¢  1998 Fly Classic in Transparent Dark Blue  â€¢  1998 Fly Classic in Cherry Red with DiBurro Roland Mod •  http://bobmartin1111.com
1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch -   2000 Fly Standard Classic in Cherry Red - http://bobmartin1111.com

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
« Reply #93 on: August 02, 2007, 07:04:31 PM »
Huh, I didn't know I was a virtual guitar player! [:0]

I guess it's time to self-terminate my inflated ego, phony guitar playin' a$$ by shutting down the holodeck now. It was "real" fun imagining that I was really playing a real guitar and that I actually knew how to play it and get the sounds that I wanted to hear, at very low volume levels so I wouldn't bother the neighbors or my family at 4:00AM in the morning when I practice, me being the considerate guy that I am. Time to report back to duty as a drone on my spaceship in orbit around a planet in an unexplored galaxy.

Why am I wasting anymore time on this anyway? You always catch more flies with honey than vinegar, you know. Some people like to burn bridges, that's fine. So be it.

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams

Offline Jason Davis

• http://www.JasonDavisMusic.com
« Reply #94 on: August 02, 2007, 08:00:29 PM »
Gee, Diad...I was trying to bring a lighter side to things.  It was never meant to indicate that you were a kid.  It was a joke.  I thought it was funny.  It's an image most people can relate to, and it is typically a humorous one.  Sorry my attempt at humor made you feel as though I was putting you down.  That was not the intent.  On the other hand, I am a bit concerned that you felt so defensive so quickly and assumed the worse.  I would not want to speculate on the reason for your immediate response or feeling.  I would also point out that my comment about a father and kids being kids in the back seat of a car was far less offensive than anything you or other posters in this thread called each other.  I would venture to guess that we would all agree upon that.

No offense, but I do not need a summary of the events that transpired here in the past 3 1/2 pages.  I can read and comprehend things rather well, so I do not want you to assume that I have no idea what is going on.  I'm not saying that you think this, but I want to be clear that I am aware of every word that was said in this thread.

I don't claim to be of anyone important, so your knowledge of who I am or am not is irrelevant.  If you care to know who I am, feel free to go to my website (wow!!! that was a shameless shill if I've ever read one).  I am, however, a moderator on this board and have agreed to certain duties and tasks in keeping the board moving the way Parker Guitars wants it to operate as specified by the Administrator of this forum.  One of those duties is to make judgment calls on the use of language and verbage that can be damaging to either Parker Guitars, US Music, or individual forum members.  As I'm sure you've read, there have been threads with not-so-stellar reviews and comments concerning the Parker line.  Many of those threads are still here because it is freedom of speech.  The ones that have been deleted are those that include derrogatory comments concerning Parker, the company, and/or Parker employees.  I'm sure everyone would understand why Parker or US Music would not want such posts on their own board...one that they fund.

My initial comment in this thread was not directed at solely you but to everyone involved with the mud slinging.  It was your response of "Or, is this supposed to be the Twighlight Zone episode where the kid asks everyone to smile ... or else?" that makes me believe you do not understand my position or are trying to question it.

And with that, this meeting is adjourned.  This thread has gone beyond what it ever should have, and I am marking it as one that is now dead.  The initial topic is one that I think has merit to discuss, and it can be started in another thread again where perhaps it will take the turn it should have and not one towards personal slams of any kind.

a Parker Guitars, Emerald Guitars, Randall Amplifiers, & Mojo Strings Artist.

www.JasonDavisMusic.com
www.myspace.com/JasonDavisMusic
www.myspace.com/JasonDavisBand

2007 Jason Davis "JD-147" Signature Fly
2005 custom PM-20G prototype
2004 Cherry Sunburst Nitefly Mojo Flame
1998 Antique Gold Fly Deluxe
« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 08:02:51 PM by Jason Davis »