Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Who really would be the ideal Parker Star?  (Read 9916 times)

Offline loumt123

Who really would be the ideal Parker Star?
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2007, 05:04:48 PM »
How about Ace Frehley. We'll tell him the guitar is sent by the aliens.

Offline uburoibob

• Bob Martin 11:11
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2007, 05:09:35 PM »
I am not sure the music industry is in a way, right now, that there is any ONE person. I have no idea who Coheed & Cambria are. Or CKY. Or most of the people that are referenced by the younger folks in this forum. I DO know John Mayer, and he is a very good guitar player - a much better player than a lot of the YouTube stuff I get pointed to. Prince, sure, great player. Lou Reed would be fun. Keith Richards. Beck. Anyone who's managed to be thought of as an artist rather than a blazing technician shredder type. Sure, the shredders influence a lot of people. But nowhere near as many as some of the names I've mentioned do. I could start spouting jazz guys that would mean as much to the folks on this forum as their shredders mean to me.

YES! We need more people playing Parker Flys. We need one for Popular Country. Alt Country. Roots Country. Traditional Blues. Modern Blues. AC Blues. Hard Rock. Rock. Classic Rock. Rock and Roll. Reggae. World Beat. Hip Hop. Ska. Alternative. Grunge. Original Punk. Modern punk. Pop. Pop Rock. Straight Ahead Jazz. Smooth Jazz. Jazz Rock. Jazz Fusion. BeBop. Swing. Rockabilly.

Jeez. Those are all the ones that just rolled off the top of my head. Each has their "legion" of followers. I guess we had it easy when I grew up, cuz you'd just turn on the radio and all those styles would come out of the same station (FM in the late 60s - gotta love it). No "The River" or stupid crap like that where you were demographically targeted to within an inch of your life.

OK. Rant part done. Just saying, there's no one HUGE act today. MAYBE, right this minute, the Police have the spotlight (Andy WHO?) with Sting getting all the attention. If he were playing a Fly Bass right now instead of the 54 Precision, we might be getting some action.

Anyway, that's my point, and I am sticking to it!

Bob

1997 Parker Fly Concert Burnt Butterscotch  â€¢  1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch  â€¢  1998 Fly Classic in Transparent Dark Blue  â€¢  1998 Fly Classic in Cherry Red with DiBurro Roland Mod •  http://bobmartin1111.com
1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch -   2000 Fly Standard Classic in Cherry Red - http://bobmartin1111.com

Offline doombilly

• http://illicitizen.com
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2007, 06:21:35 PM »
Matt Bellamy of Muse has one according to Wiki. But he tends to stick to the custom made Mansons.

http://myspace.com/illicitizen

Offline Sandy

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2007, 10:29:49 PM »
How about the fusion guy Alex Machacek, or is he maybe too "out there?"

Offline ras

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2007, 10:52:03 PM »
Hmmm Alex Lifeson should use one he usually layers a lot of acoustic and electric on recordings, I am surprised he hadn't before.  John Petrucci could conceivably also use one because Flys are high performance and piezo equipped like his signature guitars.  Andy Summers could use one, I mean the piano like clean tones lends itself pretty well to his stuff.  He also isn't unfamiliar with more modern guitar he used a Klein for a lot of his solo stuff.
PRS Custom 24 20th Anniversary
Charvel 750XL
Zion Custom Maple Classic
Mesa Boogie Mark IV
Degree from MIT in Nuclear Engineering in 2010

Offline guitarmanuk

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2007, 07:10:16 AM »
We have discussed why the like of Petrucci, Satriani, Vai et al will never play Flys.  Their endorsement deals are just too big to compete with.  Andy Summers is a Tele man and is not even using his original on the tour as it is too valuable.  He is using one of the Fender Custom Shop teles ($9499 list price in the UK [:0])

I agree with Bob that there is no one real artist that would really raise the profile as we would like and I also don't know half the people mentioned in other posts.  We know that the likes of Larry Carlton has played a Fly, but his deal with Gibson will mean it is never used in anger.  

By the way, I am one of the 50% of guitarist that does like John Mayer, I just can't stand to watch him sing with all his facial contortions.

David

1997 Parker Fly Classic transparent Teal Green

www.dancineasy.co.uk my wedding/function band
www.saxandguitar.co.uk my sax and guitar duo
David

1997 Parker Fly Classic transparent Teal Green
1997 Parker Fly Concert Butterscotch

Offline Jason Davis

• http://www.JasonDavisMusic.com
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2007, 08:48:15 AM »
(speaking as a guitar fan...not as a Parker artist)

Yeah, Satch/Vai/Petrucci wouldn't be good options since they already have their own signature models with other companies.  Vai's JEM reached the 20th Anniversary mark this year.

There have been/still are a number of higher profile artists that play Parkers:  Belew, Gabrels, Keaggy, Martone, Haggard, Navarro, Farner, Mandel, etc...but there isn't one big player that is widely known or in the spotlight all the time (no offense to those mentioned or not).  Gabrels was with Bowie (but no longer), and Navarro would have been the closest with Jane's and the Chili Peppers but not with his new Panic Channel.

As far as an idea, I really don't have any.  A player like a Vai or Satch would be great, but that is still a limited audience to influence.  It would almost need to be someone on the level of a John Mayer to reach the most exposure to both advanced as well as beginners.  

Dave Grohl? (would be cool, but can't see it)
Jeff Beck?  (has his own Strat model)
Matt Bellamy? (but he'd never part with his custom Manson)
John 5 (again, would be pretty cool BUT has his own Tele model)

I'm not even sure about those ones...but it would need to be a player that appeals to both guitarists as well as music lovers in general (or at least associated with a star as their lead guitarist) for the guitar to be in the spotlight.

Who's been on the cover of Guitar Player?  Who's been on the cover of Rolling Stone?  That might be the ones to consider.

a Parker Guitars, Emerald Guitars, Randall Amplifiers, & Mojo Strings Artist.

www.JasonDavisMusic.com
www.myspace.com/JasonDavisMusic
www.myspace.com/JasonDavisBand

2007 Jason Davis "JD-147" Signature Fly
2005 custom PM-20G prototype
2004 Cherry Sunburst Nitefly Mojo Flame
1998 Antique Gold Fly Deluxe
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 08:53:18 AM by Jason Davis »

jwrooker

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2007, 08:57:00 AM »
Maybe, rather than concentrating on some high profile player, most of whom already have a deal with a manufacturer, it would be best to get Parkers in the hands of the up and coming players.  Get a bit more aggressive with endorsement deals with new artists.  One of them is bound to break through and then everyone will want to be like him/her/unsure.  

And we should all get behind our present Parker Artists and support them whenever and wherever we can.

John
Rochester, NY
* 96 Fly Standard * 98 Fly Classic w/Gen 1's
* 98 Fly Classic w/Gen 2's * 01 Fly Single 2
* 02 NiteFly M w/Virtual PAF's * 03 Fly Mojo W/Pearly Gates
* 05 Southern NiteFly
Parker Chat: http://www.jwrooker.com/mychat

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2007, 09:02:10 AM »
Since someone brought up Alex Lifeson, I think he would be a good choice - he's very high profile. Or maybe David Gilmour. I know they are not young anymore, but they have a lot of fans and it would be great exposure for Parker.

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams

Offline Lwinn171

« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2007, 10:35:41 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by ras

Hmmm Alex Lifeson should use one he usually layers a lot of acoustic and electric on recordings, I am surprised he hadn't before.  

PRS Custom 24 20th Anniversary
Charvel 750XL
Zion Custom Maple Classic
Mesa Boogie Mark IV
Degree from MIT in Nuclear Engineering in 2010

Yeah, I'm a big fan of Alex's playing. He's totally in Gibson's corner, and played nothing but on the latest tour, except for a PRS on one song at the show I saw. He had Les Paul's with whammy's and LP's with piezo's, too. I'd love to see him on a Fly, but right now, Gibson's signing some big checks and it was obvious to every musician in the crowd (ie. everyone in the crowd, lol)...[:(]

Lawrence Winn
2001 Classic,1998 Classic
Boogie MK IV, Behringer ACX-1800, Zoom A2, various effects

Lawrence Winn
2001 Classic, 98 Deluxe
various amps, various toys

Offline jd84mc884qb

• Forum Admin
  • Administrator
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2007, 10:36:52 AM »
How do you guys feel about Vernon Reid?

Offline Steel Pelican

• http://www.modernwhaling.com
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2007, 11:45:17 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by jd84mc884qb

How do feel about Vernon Reid?

Excellent player.  Don't know how well he'd appeal to the "new generation," but I love his work.  I think he plays Aslin Dane guitars at the moment- but I've seen him with some other guitars.  

I think I remember reading an article about him where he talked about a computer program he wrote for himself that put together randomly ordered complex chords and techniques, and he'd have to play along with these randomly generated jazz progressions.

-Greg
-----------
'97 Classic Fly, Trans. Red
Vox Tonelab SE
Mesa/Boogie .50 Cal
Genz Benz El Diablo 60c
Takamine TAN16C

Offline jamrcat

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2007, 02:13:36 PM »
I'm going to go way out and suggest someone who is highly respected in the Country world and though most know him as a singer - he is an accomplished studio player. I'm not a fan, but he has crossed many musical lines and would be instantly recognized and respected by studio players. Are you ready?....Vince Gil! [:0]

01' Parker Fly Classic "Natural" w/SD Black Backs (Thanks Jay)
93' Parker Fly Deluxe hardtail RP "Blackie" KP Signature (Thank You! Bob & Ken)
2FlyBob (Thanks Paul!)

jamrcat
Butte, Montana
"A Fly for each hand!"

Offline uburoibob

• Bob Martin 11:11
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2007, 02:18:15 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by jwrooker

Maybe, rather than concentrating on some high profile player, most of whom already have a deal with a manufacturer, it would be best to get Parkers in the hands of the up and coming players.  Get a bit more aggressive with endorsement deals with new artists.  One of them is bound to break through and then everyone will want to be like him/her/unsure.  

And we should all get behind our present Parker Artists and support them whenever and wherever we can.

John
Rochester, NY
* 96 Fly Standard * 98 Fly Classic w/Gen 1's
* 98 Fly Classic w/Gen 2's * 01 Fly Single 2
* 02 NiteFly M w/Virtual PAF's * 03 Fly Mojo W/Pearly Gates
* 05 Southern NiteFly
Parker Chat: http://www.jwrooker.com/mychat

I was behind Jason trying to support him, but he slugged me!

Bob

1997 Parker Fly Concert Burnt Butterscotch  â€¢  1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch  â€¢  1998 Fly Classic in Transparent Dark Blue  â€¢  1998 Fly Classic in Cherry Red with DiBurro Roland Mod •  http://bobmartin1111.com
1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch -   2000 Fly Standard Classic in Cherry Red - http://bobmartin1111.com

Offline Jason Davis

• http://www.JasonDavisMusic.com
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2007, 02:28:47 PM »
Y'know, Bob...I like you and all, but...8^)

a Parker Guitars, Emerald Guitars, Randall Amplifiers, & Mojo Strings Artist.

www.JasonDavisMusic.com
www.myspace.com/JasonDavisMusic
www.myspace.com/JasonDavisBand

2007 Jason Davis "JD-147" Signature Fly
2005 custom PM-20G prototype
2004 Cherry Sunburst Nitefly Mojo Flame
1998 Antique Gold Fly Deluxe
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 02:33:12 PM by Jason Davis »