Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A how to on better pics of our guitars?  (Read 1649 times)

Offline jazzrat

A how to on better pics of our guitars?
« on: August 10, 2007, 01:09:47 PM »
I did a search and found nothing on the subject.
I for one would enjoy a few tips on taking better pictures of my guitars to share here and elsewhere.
With the angles and the glare and the weird shape it seems hard, for me anyway to do the guitar justice.

CY2989 is a pro. I would hesitate to ask him to share what has obviously taken him years to learn but maybe there are some tips we rank and file could share to up our picture quality another notch.

AMDlx Tele, Pro Tone fat Tele, Eastman 805 CE Archtop,  MIM jazz bass, Takemine '95 SC-132EC
Fly Classic, Ibanez AS-193, Eric Johnson Strat, Eastman AR403-CE, Cordoba Fusion 12 Maple, Fretless Jazz Bass

Offline 908ssp

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 01:35:15 PM »
I am not a pro but you've seen my pictures you can judge whether my tips make sense.

Use a tripod. Use existing light not flash. You can't control what you can't see. You can't see the flash till it is in the camera. Learn to adjust the white ballance in your camera. Most indoor lighting is in the 3500k degree range day light is 6000k or higher. The virtue of digital is it doesn't cost you any more to take ten pictures as it takes to take one, so take lots of pictures and put them in your computer and deside there if you like the shot if it needs cropping or touching up.

One tip about exposures it is easier on the camera to expose a low contrast scene then a high one so shoot a white guitar on a white or very light colored back ground shoot a dark guitar in front of a dark back ground.

[^]

Alex

« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 01:36:26 PM by 908ssp »
Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Offline cy2989

• http://chrisyoungportraits.com
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 03:07:47 PM »
I would share anything you wanted to know.  Alex has made some good points.  I have a studio set up and everything sort of calibrated so color temperature and stuff like that is ready to go for me.  I do use strobes but that's because I have them.  The strobes are set up with soft boxes ranging in sizes.  One is 6'x 4' and provides a nice soft large light source.  If I didn't have strobes I wouldn't hesitate to use hot lights.  You can get halogens inexpensively that are very bright and with some homemade softboxes or diffusors you can do great lighting.  Just remember to set the white balance to the proper temp as Alex said or your color will be off.

There are a couple of "tricks" I guess you could say that I use in Photoshop to improve the pictures.  I'd be happy to tell you if you use Photoshop.  Of course I also have a great camera and good glass.  

Offline cy2989

• http://chrisyoungportraits.com
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 03:18:44 PM »
Oh and another thing.  I hang the guitar from the ceiling joists by the tuners using black insulated wire.  The black color is easy to PS out later.  I was thinking if I did it more often I would mount a lazy susan type of thing on the ceiling and then I could rotate the base from which I was hanging the guitar to get it into the right angle of light instead of having to move the lights, which can be a pain.