Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Coheed & Cambria  (Read 1619 times)

Offline 908ssp

Coheed & Cambria
« on: August 16, 2007, 09:12:51 PM »
I just heard of them for the first time a couple days ago here on another thread. So I checked out a YouTube video and bought their DVD. My review will probably alienate the younger audience because some old fuddy duddy like me isn't supposed to like what's cool. Well these guys are a pleasant surprise to me. I think they are pretty good musicians they certainly take their music seriously. I liked that they presented themselves in a positive light instead of dwelling on the negative. While dressed all in black shirts and pants they wore a white tie which represents an core of light and not all darkness. I think they could use some work varying their tempo and using more dynamics, generally the songs reached a speed and volume too soon and which left them no where left to go. The singer unfortunately sounds exactly like Geddy Lee. All in all though compared to what I have seen these guys would be a real boon for Parker if they could get them to switch from their old Gibsons. In one song the lead sing guitarist played an acoustic and switched to an electric a natural benefit of the Fly. I thin taking one song by itself they sound darn good the song weren't varied enough for me but I am spoiled. I know this doesn't sound like a glowing review but it is.
[^]

Alex

« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 09:15:36 PM by 908ssp »
Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Coheed & Cambria

Offline Jason Davis

• http://www.JasonDavisMusic.com
Coheed & Cambria
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 07:56:55 AM »
Plus that DVD ("The Last Supper") doesn't really cover a lot of their varied music that you'd find on the albums.  It's more of the "hits" and songs from the new album (new at the time, that is) that translate well to a rock show.

I think it's kinda funny that you felt they presented themselves in a positive light.  If you look closely there is a guillotine on stage.  8^)

All of their albums (the 4th coming out in Oct) is one big convoluted sci-fi story.  The new album is to be the final part of the story, and then they will be doing the 1st in the series (the prequel) after that.  Long story short:  2 parents (named Coheed & Cambria) are created with a virus inside of them and are told that their kids have a more dangerous one.  They are convinced to kill the children but one escapes.  He is the Messiah figure of the story who is to set out to avenge the death of his parents and family by killing the evil ruler.  Plus there's a bunch of planets and forces holding them together and the like.  My assumption is that it is a tale of how our solar system was created...but that hasn't been completely confirmed.

Weird, eh?  And yes....Claudio gets the Geddy Lee comparison all of the time.  But he certainly has one thing on Geddy:  the major afro.  8^)

a Parker Guitars, Emerald Guitars, Randall Amplifiers, & Mojo Strings Artist.

www.JasonDavisMusic.com
www.myspace.com/JasonDavisMusic
www.myspace.com/JasonDavisBand

2007 Jason Davis "JD-147" Signature Fly
2005 custom PM-20G prototype
2004 Cherry Sunburst Nitefly Mojo Flame
1998 Antique Gold Fly Deluxe
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 11:28:05 AM by Jason Davis »

Coheed & Cambria

Offline mmmmgtr

• http://www.righthandred.com
Coheed & Cambria
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 08:47:26 AM »
I heard them for the first time because of Sirius. The
one station (Octane) seems to play quite a bit of their
stuff. I really like it. I normally have the same reaction
to the "Geddy Lee like voice", but I think this one is a bit
fuller and I actually like it quite a bit. Dream Theatre,
Symphony X -- can't get into these bands mainly because the
vocal simply doesn't appeal to me. I do, however, love
Ronnie James Dio... go figure...

Coheed & Cambria

Offline 908ssp

Coheed & Cambria
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 09:04:20 AM »
The positive things come from the lack of cantering around with a boar's head on stake, not wearing chain mail and spikes, no face paint or facial tattoos, etc... you get the picture. Plus in this DVD they actually apologize for swearing which I thought was rather funny. There are lots of dark stories to be told but whose side do you take. As to that afro I kept thinking he needs one of those plastic head bands the girls used to wear to keep the hair out of his eyes.[:o)][:D]

[^]

Alex

« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 09:04:51 AM by 908ssp »
Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Coheed & Cambria

Offline Jason Davis

• http://www.JasonDavisMusic.com
Coheed & Cambria
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 11:27:05 AM »
HAHAHAHAHAHA!

a Parker Guitars, Emerald Guitars, Randall Amplifiers, & Mojo Strings Artist.

www.JasonDavisMusic.com
www.myspace.com/JasonDavisMusic
www.myspace.com/JasonDavisBand

2007 Jason Davis "JD-147" Signature Fly
2005 custom PM-20G prototype
2004 Cherry Sunburst Nitefly Mojo Flame
1998 Antique Gold Fly Deluxe

Coheed & Cambria

Offline Yoyo

Coheed & Cambria
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2007, 04:43:04 AM »
I checked out 4 of their tracks on Youtube and I'm impressed. They've got a considerably more musical approach than you'd expect from this area of music. Extraordinary voice the singer has, doesn't exactly go with his look.
The only thing that exists is this moment now.

Coheed & Cambria

Offline aurian4parker

Coheed & Cambria
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2007, 10:33:30 AM »
Yes, man, they honestly are my favorite band.

They are so amazing.

Writing songs like that, I dont know how Claudio does it. And the concept.  The storyline is actually really freakin cool.!!

I just hope that "The Running Free" isn't the best song off the new album.. If it is, that is a disappointment.

And I love how the band progresses from album to album, as the story also progresses.

So genius.

Saw them live, my friend touched clauidio's hair.

I got Mike's autograph on my parker.

And as much influence as they have from Rush, or LZ, or Thin Lizzy... They STILL manage to sound very original.

And people that don't like Claudio's voice...doesn't make sense to me.  Because his voice requires talent. and it is AMAZING.

ooh man....

=====================
15 years old with a passion for music. i wanna go to BERKLEE MANNNNNN

amp info- Fender Stage 100 1x12 combo stacked on a Vintage Gretsch 2x12 cab
=====================
Just funkin' around :)

amp info- Fender Stage 100 1x12 combo stacked on a Vintage Gretsch 2x12 cab