Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: DR Color Strings  (Read 7667 times)

Offline TheGuitarGuy

• http://www.audiostreet.net/austinmacnutt
DR Color Strings
« on: June 15, 2005, 04:36:04 PM »
Does anybody here use those new DR Color strings, I was thinking of picking up a set because I think that it is such a cool innovative idea, but I was just wondering a few things about them if anybody uses them.

• Does the color fade away after use
  • how are they in just overall quality
  • how much do they cost, roughly.

Proud owner of a Quilted Bubinga PM-20
My Music

"Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." -- Jim Morrison

DR Color Strings

Offline loumt123

DR Color Strings
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2005, 06:23:09 PM »
I haven't played them, But I've heard the color does fade and it comes off on your fingers. My guess is they cost the same as other DR's. And they are most likely the same as other DR's. They are nothing special, just trying to get consumers attention. I play Daddarios myself(strictly because of the player points[:o)]) But I've heard snake oil strings are good. It wouldn't hurt to try some of those DR's.

Good luck [:D]

DR Color Strings

Offline TheGuitarGuy

DR Color Strings
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2005, 06:33:43 PM »
Yeah, I would just like to give them a try, it can't hurt. It would be nice if the color doesn't fade because how cool is that, having strings that go with or match your guitar, I'll have to give them a try. The music stores in my city that I've checked don't carry them but I'm sure they could order some in because they all carry DR strings.

My Music

"Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." -- Jim Morrison

DR Color Strings

Offline telecasterkid

• http://www.burningindecember.com
DR Color Strings
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2005, 11:43:18 PM »
I have been using DR's for about 4 years now. I love the consistency and tone I get on my Parkers with them. One of the last cmpanies that hand wind strings. IMHO much more consistency than a lot of other brands out there. Look at their long list of users. That kind of speaks for itself. go to www.drstrings.com and read about the reason why they introduced the color options.
And no! I am not endorsed by them. Just a very happy user.

Kevin Schertell
www.burningindecember.com
CD "No Way Out" Available now!
Kevin Schertell
www.myspace.com/burnin12

Music Boulevard, Inc.
1232-2 Blanding Blvd.
Orange Park, Fl. 32065
904-276-2520
musicboulevard@earthlink.net
Owner/President

DR Color Strings

Offline raglor

DR Color Strings
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2005, 12:13:24 AM »
I agree. DR Strings are amazing, especially the Hi-Beam sets. Asides from a great feel, it really does wonder for the tone. They sound like new strings for a good while and they really add some snap.
--------------------------------------------
Parker Fly Deluxe (Custom Finish)
Parker Fly Deluxe (Gold)
Parker PM-20 Flame Top Burst w/ DiMarzios
Washburn USA Sonic
USA Dean Hardtail Purple Flame

DR Color Strings

Offline telecasterkid

DR Color Strings
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2005, 11:45:23 AM »
When my order from DR arrives next week I'll post a review of the colored strings. They asked me to try a set on one of my Parkers.

Kevin Schertell
Kevin Schertell
www.myspace.com/burnin12

Music Boulevard, Inc.
1232-2 Blanding Blvd.
Orange Park, Fl. 32065
904-276-2520
Owner/President

DR Color Strings

Offline 908ssp

DR Color Strings
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2005, 11:54:13 AM »
I tried the DRs a few months ago. I didn't care for them they turned black in a couple days something no other string has done to me. They didn't sound any better or worse then the Slinky's I was using before that. I am sold on the Vintage Snake Oil Brand for my Parker they are a little warmer then average strings which i feel balances well with the Parker.

I haven't tried the colored strings I do find the idea fascinating so I am waiting to hear some reviews of the strings. How long do the last? Does the color come off on your fingers or on the frets? Do they change color? Turn black? [^]

Alex
1996 Parker Fly Deluxe
1998 Parker Fly Classic
1999 Parker NiteFly S/S/H NFV7
2005 Emerald Acoustic X10
2004 Maven Peal Ganesha
2004 Marshall 4x12 Scumbag
Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

DR Color Strings

Offline Generation Zero

DR Color Strings
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2005, 10:20:47 PM »
I used a set or two of the black ones on an Epiphone Les Paul I had a while back.  The color does come off eventually... how long it lasts depends on how heavily you pick.  The color is a coating, sorta like the nanoweb stuff on the Elixer strings... so yeah, you constantly wear it down as you play.  I never noticed any wear due to the frets though... and they weren't dampened down by the coating at all.  I think they were a buck or two more per set than the standard strings too, IIRC.  I liked them, but in the end I went back to my standard D'Addarios.  I reccomend getting a set and giving them a shot, you might like them, but if not, it's only one pack.

DR Color Strings

Offline TheGuitarGuy

DR Color Strings
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2005, 01:07:18 AM »
well as long as the color doesn't come off on the guitar I'd be willing to give them a shot, the color fading could be a sign that you need to change your strings kind of hey, haha, well I think I'll give them a try.

My Music

DR Color Strings

Offline telecasterkid

DR Color Strings
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2005, 08:54:10 PM »
Well I was not a believer until I tried them but here goes. The coated strings from DR Strings are WAY different from anything else out there. I am no scientist just a guitar player and I can hear and feel a huge difference with these vs. say Elixirs and the like. Black Beauties, Pea**** Blue and Red Devils. You guys and girls need to try them on a Parker! All I can say is holy *&^% Batman!!!

Kevin Schertell
Kevin Schertell
www.myspace.com/burnin12

Music Boulevard, Inc.
1232-2 Blanding Blvd.
Orange Park, Fl. 32065
904-276-2520
Owner/President

DR Color Strings

Offline loumt123

DR Color Strings
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2005, 12:04:15 AM »
How do the colored ones sound in relation to the original DR's. And does the color wear off...any problems of the sort?

DR Color Strings

Offline LooseChange

• http://www.fydamps.com
DR Color Strings
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2005, 05:57:43 AM »
And what color sounds best?  :-)

1995 Parker Fly Deluxe Emerald Green
I build my own amps. See:
www.loosechange.freeservers.com
1995 Emerald Green Fly Deluxe (Beaten and Modded but Loved)
1997 Sunburst Nitefly NFV/4
I like tubes... Check out all my DIY amps:
http://www.fydamps.com

DR Color Strings

Offline David Tomkins

• Advanced Member
DR Color Strings
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2005, 02:01:28 AM »
green.  definitely.
2005 Green Quilted Maple Custom Mojo signed by Steve Vai, 2006 Parker Fly T-Shirt, 2006 Parker Fly Baseball Cap.  A triple-whammy of Parker goodness!!

DR Color Strings

Offline telecasterkid

DR Color Strings
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2005, 09:05:12 AM »
I have only tried the black beauties so far. I am going to string up one of the guitars in my shop with a set of the red devils I think and see what kind of reaction I get. I like the black beauties quite a bit. I have been using DR Hi Beams 9-46 for about 4 years now so it may take some time to wean myself off of them. The biggest thing about DR's that I have found is consistency from set to set. I can't say that's true with a lot of other string companies out there. I would definitely recommend trying at least one set. They are very different from the other coated strings out there.

Kevin Schertell
Kevin Schertell
www.myspace.com/burnin12

Music Boulevard, Inc.
1232-2 Blanding Blvd.
Orange Park, Fl. 32065
904-276-2520
Owner/President

DR Color Strings

Offline vince a

DR Color Strings
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2005, 10:26:56 AM »
I just may have to try these . . .

My son swears by the DR Hi Beams (9-42), and he is considered one of the most talented guitarists around the Bay Area. But I don't play his type of music heavy metal), and I don't think that the Hi Beams were meant for blues.

But they do have some that would work.

In another thread here on this site, I mentioned that I never have broken a string (other than during install/stretching). Now I have to eat my words . . . I spoke too soon . . .

This weekend, I installed a fresh set of Elixir's, and after install/stretching and tuning, I played them a bit. I broke a G string.

Cursing, I changed the string, pulling a G string out of a second set (I buy them in sets of 10 - makes them $9 each set). Installed and played, and guess what? I broke another darn G string. I checked the tuner for burrs . . . looked good. Ran an old E string easily through it like a file, back and forth.

Installed another G, and I be darned if it didn't break. So, now, on the fourth string, I'm holding my breath . . . it has held so far.

I assume you can get a bad batch of strings from anyone? Grrrrrrr . . .

Parker PM-20 (Bubinga)
Fender MIA Tele
Fender Double-Bound Tele
(2)Fender Teles (MIM)
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Simon & Parker Showcase CW-Acoustic-Electric
Yamaha FG-200 Acoustic
Fender Blues Junior-      modified
Kustom KAA 65TH acoustic amp
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Wah Wah
POD XT