Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Parker In new aker****e video  (Read 6748 times)

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
Parker In new aker****e video
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2007, 08:15:01 PM »
Here it is for the US since 1960. Murder rate is slightly up. Rape is way up. All violent crimes are way up.

http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/uscrime.htm

Custom '03 Gen1N/Gen2B Hardtail Artist; Custom '98 Neutered (trem blocked) DuncanModed Artist; Fly Deluxe 2000; Gibson ES137(4sale); 1974 K.Yari DY85; SchecterDisposable; Martin Backpacker/paddle combo;VoxAD30VT;SWR California Blonde(working again and sounding great)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 08:16:42 PM by Bill »
A few Flys in my soup

Offline Detonator

• http://myspace.com/detonator6
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2007, 08:16:17 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Bill

Originally posted by Detonator

Sorry, not sure what you are talking about with that one. Seems like a different topic to me. Sounds interesting. Good luck.

My statement is in reference to the posts in this thread which attempt to link music, and on a larger scale, media to societal degeneration.

As for your statistics, they are unfortunately on too small a scale, and thus don't account for many variables such as population growth and localized regional social problems.

edit: Ok, i see the national list you posted, but unfortunately there are too many factors that could effect those numbers for us to draw a line between social trends and crime.

98 Fly Classic (trans emerald green)
93 strat plus
05 Schecter tempest Custom
04 Takamine AN10
ENGL Powerball 100 head
Boogie Recto 4x12
Roland Microcube
Lots of FX
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 08:22:23 PM by Detonator »
93 strat plus
04 Takamine AN10
Mesa Boogie Mark IV
Mills Acoustics Afterburner 412b
Roland Microcube
FX

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2007, 08:19:15 PM »
I wouldn't go so far as to link or blame music for it. But, since you asked for it, here it is for all of the US for the last 50 years.

I would say its a pretty big sample size. I was surprised myself.

I am not trying to infer anything. I am just trying to help you find what you asked for. They aren't " my statistics" They are from the FBI crime statisics. I don't blame you for not liking it but don't shoot the messanger. I guess you were surprised too?  I doubt anyone is proud of it.

And I beg to differ. It does account for population growth. Please see rates per 100,000. When you say it doesn't mean anything because there are too many variables, again I beg to differ. It does mean something. It means crime is up and the respect for the sanctity of others is down.

I don't blame all that on music. But it is what it is whether you want it to be that or not. Now, can you think of things that might help reverse that trend? Things that might help individuals respect the sanctity of other individuals? Could music help?

And maybe this was a bogus web page. You never know. The source was listed as  " Source: FBI, Uniform Crime Reports ". But it could be bogus. Maybe you should dig deeper.

Anyway, even with todays crime rate it still beats the pants off of caveman type anarchy where you can have whatever you can take. It certainly beats the fuetilistic meideveil times. At least in my book it does.  So I'm not sure what the " Hell in the hand basket" mentality means here. Yes I know what you mean and I understand that "stage of life cliche" too. I now understand your initial resentment in being pegged into a cliche.Sorry. So please understand I feel there are a lot of wonderful improvements in todays society too. Makes me want to work that much harder not to blow it. It is still a wonderful time to be alive. Quite possibly, the best.

Custom '03 Gen1N/Gen2B Hardtail Artist; Custom '98 Neutered (trem blocked) DuncanModed Artist; Fly Deluxe 2000; Gibson ES137(4sale); 1974 K.Yari DY85; SchecterDisposable; Martin Backpacker/paddle combo;VoxAD30VT;SWR California Blonde(working again and sounding great)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 08:45:56 PM by Bill »
A few Flys in my soup

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2007, 08:20:44 PM »
quote:
I would personally like to see statistics that show how this "new" indecent society of ours has effected crime rates in the western world.

I know here where I live, in only 20 years time, they have had to put metal detectors in high schools because kids are bringing guns and knives to school with them. When I was in high school (1980-84), that sort of stuff was unheard of. Now it's commonplace, even in grade schools.

In my observations, this pretty much coincides with changes I have seen in music and movies over the last 25 years. The message is pretty much the same throughout, violence is the way to solve problems. Gangster rap and that sort of thing promotes violence, even though the people that create this stuff are saying that they are just simply conveying what is going on in their hood. Whether that is their intent or not, it glorifies violence. Go to the movies, more violence. Watch the news, more violence. You can't turn on the TV without some show being on that is centered around murders, like CSI and those kind of shows. It's no wonder to me that crime statistics are what they are today. I see things only getting worse as mostly everyone does their own thing since they have no moral code to live by. It makes me sad because I know things don't have to be this way, but that is what people choose to do.

I know, that was way off topic, but crime statistics were brought up and I had to say something...

EDIT: Oh, and by the way, the city I live in is within he top 10 most dangerous cities in the US. I see this stuff firsthand. A murder-suicide right at an intersection in morning rush hour traffic a few blocks from where I live and that sort of thing.

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 08:32:02 PM by Paul Marossy »

Offline Detonator

« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2007, 08:31:41 PM »
Out of respect for this forum and community, I think I'm going to have to step away from the keyboard now.

93 strat plus
04 Takamine AN10
ENGL Powerball 100 head
Boogie Recto 4x12
Roland Microcube
Lots of FX
93 strat plus
04 Takamine AN10
Mesa Boogie Mark IV
Roland Microcube
FX

Offline Paul Marossy

« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2007, 08:53:14 PM »
Everything is connected. You can't just isolate one thing, you have to look at the whole picture. We are now reaping what was sown in the 50s, 60s and 70s. You don't have to agree with that, but I can see it plain as day.

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams

Offline Detonator

« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2007, 09:25:10 PM »
In a lot of ways it comes down to a theological and idealistic debate, which I'd prefer to avoid.  Paul, it is my belief  that nothing in existence can be "plain as day" as people by their own nature tend to simplify things in order to explain them.  Unfortunately this often leads to facts being ignored and a distortion of the truth.  Anyway, sorry for going off on a tangent.

93 strat plus
04 Takamine AN10
ENGL Powerball 100 head
Boogie Recto 4x12
Roland Microcube
Lots of FX
93 strat plus
04 Takamine AN10
Mesa Boogie Mark IV
Roland Microcube
FX

Offline Paul Marossy

« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2007, 09:42:35 AM »
quote:
In a lot of ways it comes down to a theological and idealistic debate, which I'd prefer to avoid. Paul, it is my belief that nothing in existence can be "plain as day" as people by their own nature tend to simplify things in order to explain them. Unfortunately this often leads to facts being ignored and a distortion of the truth. Anyway, sorry for going off on a tangent.

That's cool, and I agree. I'm going to be 41 in a couple of months, and have always been observant of what trends are happening in society in the US, so that's where I'm coming from. Just sharing my viewpoint on the matter. It's pretty difficult to absolutely prove a correlation between things like music and violence. But just because you can't prove it "scientifically" doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. [8D]

Anyhow, I still maintain that if your singing is unintelligible, what's the point? You could get a howler monkey to do your vocals for you and save your vocal chord from getting cancer or something. [:D]

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 09:45:23 AM by Paul Marossy »

Offline loumt123

« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2007, 11:23:02 AM »
a band called hatebeak uses a parrot for the vocals and another, caninus, uses dogs to bark for vocals [:D]

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2007, 12:06:19 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by cmpkllyrslf96

a band called hatebeak uses a parrot for the vocals and another, caninus, uses dogs to bark for vocals [:D]

I once heard a whole symphony done with whale songs. It was beautiful.

I recently heard a fantastic rythym line done entirely out of night time recordings of crickets from all over the world.

I get your point Lou, and agree with it for the most part.

I got dragged to an opera a few years ago. It was the stereotypical kind where fat ladies and men sing in Itallian. The music was suppose to be among the best.

Parts of the music were good but after awhile of not ubderstanding anything they were saying, well, God I was bored.

I recently traveled to Finland and had fun listening to their local radio. It was interesting at first listening to music in another languige. Soon I got really bored with it even though the music was sometimes pretty good. To my embarrassement, I found myself searching out the english stations.

Why?

I think vocals can certainly be used as instruments and work great where they were intended as instruments.

But when vocals are used with the intention of communicating words, and yet we can't understand them, it tends to make us at worst get frustrated and at best tune out with boredom.

So I guess I also agree with Paul to a point.

It depends on what the intent was as to whether incomprhensible vocals add or subtract.

Now I also believe incomprhensible vocals that are meant to sound like words but we can't make them out, can be well used as an accent to spice up a piece. Believe it or not, Like JSANTA I listen to a mix and I occasionally like some screamo. Sometimes for me its artistic (in small doses). But I sure can't listen to  many minutes of it or a whole album because, well frankly its just like that opera---Boring.

While you and my son may find it energizing, to me, and I bet to most non teens, its boring. Or worse. Like construction noise it tends to come off like irritating white noise after awhile. We simply can't inerpret it so we tune it out. Thats mostly how our brains are made I think. The teenage brain for many , is probably just a little different in this growth phase  and responds to overstimulation a bit differently I think. I will dig up some stuff on this for you because I am hopeing you will want to see some back up eveidence(some supporting evedence but not proof).. I have to run an errand but will get back to you later this afternoon.

A few Flys in my soup

Offline Paul Marossy

« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2007, 01:20:46 PM »
quote:
But when vocals are used with the intention of communicating words, and yet we can't understand them, it tends to make us at worst get frustrated and at best tune out with boredom.

I guess that's what I'm getting at. Vocals with the intention of communicating words. I have heard whole albums of "grindcore" where you can't understand one flippin word, it just sounds like someone doing one long gutteral burp. To me, it's a waste. [?]

quote:
It depends on what the intent was as to whether incomprhensible vocals add or subtract.

That's a point. I guess I'm "old school". [;)]

quote:
But I sure can't listen to many minutes of it or a whole album because, well frankly its just like that opera---Boring.

I agree. [:0]

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 01:21:25 PM by Paul Marossy »

Offline portnoy

• http://www.facebook.com/pages/Huntingdon-United-Kingdom/MusicStreetUK/193947947906?ref=ts
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2007, 03:31:07 PM »
Woooo i dont visit here for a couple of days and my Post turned into a Discussion :-)

Kavan,

07' Fly deluxe - ice blue burst
Marshall Vintage modern 100w head + 4x12 cabinet
Orange tiny terror 15/7w

Offline uburoibob

• Bob Martin 11:11
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2007, 04:41:23 PM »
Everybody take a chill pill.

Lou, you posted that video either knowing what the reaction would be, intending to provoke, or ignorant of what it would be. When that reaction came, that the content of the video was either cool or not with the intended viewer, you seemed ready to pounce.

I don't think it's fair to show someone something that is going to push them over the edge, and then yelling at them when they go over. OR, is that what this genre of "art/music" all about? To distance the kids from the older generation?

Everyone will have a different idea of the validity of this music, just as everyone will have a different idea of the validity of gangsta rap - with its masogenistic/violent slant against women and white folks. Some will say it reflects, while others will say it enables.

I'd like to say "to each his own" but that clearly takes into consideration that the 'his' in that statement has enough experience to distinguish what is good or bad.

I'd hope that anyone listening or watching anything eventually develops a filtering mechanism that lets them know when they are being had. If, as Kavan says, that these guys' real life couldn't be further from their stage persona, then they are simply an act. Myself, I'd prefer to hear from people who walk the walk as well, but that's just me.

I used to have fun with my son who, upon discovering some of this in his teenage years, would ask about it. I'd just call him upstairs and show him how easy it is to have a machine "augment/make" you sound that way. We called it the "demon button" and that took some of the sobriety out of it. Everytime Rammnestein or Slipknot or some other band that sounds like "that" came on the radio, we knew it was the demon button, and everytime they pushed it, legions would send them money. In general, I tried to teach him to not send money every time someone looked at his demographic and prevailing influences and came up with a formula for getting paid by him... Question, question question.

There's a cliche that goes "hire a teenager while he still knows everything." That's the one thing youth doesn't have on me - I've been there. They've not been here.

Things WILL change. Call us when they do.

Bob

1997 Parker Fly Concert Burnt Butterscotch  â€¢  1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch  â€¢  1998 Fly Classic in Transparent Dark Blue  â€¢  1998 Fly Classic in Cherry Red with DiBurro Roland Mod •  http://bobmartin1111.com
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 04:44:55 PM by uburoibob »
1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch -   2000 Fly Standard Classic in Cherry Red - http://bobmartin1111.com

Offline loumt123

« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2007, 05:51:58 PM »
Well, Bob, while I appreciate your personal attack on me, I think if you actually read through the posts you would be dismayed to find I did not post the video looking for a reaction. Why would you think the video was posted to antagonize? Isn't the intention clearly stated in the subject heading? In fact, I did not even post the video. I am also not the one who went off topic as to insist a foreign topic of "satanism" and the world's impending doom. Additionally, I am not insisting I "know it all". This has nothing to do with me being a teenager, and it's ridiculous to toss my arguments aside because of it. I've made every attempt to be civilized. I am not attacking anyones opinion, However, if one is going to theorize and make claims I ask that it be supported. If you mistook that for arrogance or ignorace I am sorry; that is not the case. If there is anything in specific you would like to call me out on please do so; perhaps I can elaborate for you.

And to Bill; I understand where you are coming from. My point in regards to the music/art issue is that just because it is different, perhaps incredibly different, does not mean it is illegitimate. In fact, I do not listen to heavier bands often; I'm a huge jazz head and I love rock music. Even though MANY bands may not be my cup of tea, I don't think it gives me the authority to bash them and diminish their value. There's a fine line between saying a genre is not what you are into and calling it BS and an abomination, and there is a fine line between an opinion and what very well seems like a verbal attack. Of course, that is just my opinion and observation.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 06:19:01 PM by loumt123 »

Offline Paul Marossy

« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2007, 06:28:33 PM »
quote:
This has nothing to do with me being a teenager, and it's ridiculous to toss my arguments aside because of it. I've made every attempt to be civilized.

Are you really?! Wow, you're acting very mature here. Good for you! [8D]

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams