Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Action Measurements?  (Read 3139 times)

Offline badmotorfinger74

Action Measurements?
« on: August 29, 2007, 10:11:08 PM »
Does anyone have any idea what the factory sets the action heights to for the basses?

My E string is buzzing a little bit on my new Mojo bass, and I raised the string a little to get rid of it.  It's now set at about .080" at the twelfth fret (while fretting the first fret).  This information is given for the guitars in the manual, but for some reason they don't give this info for the basses.

Thanks!

Action Measurements?

Offline 908ssp

Action Measurements?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 10:51:58 PM »
I think action height is so dependent on the players preference that any number is meaningless. .080 seems really low but it all depends on how you play. If you had another bass that you liked just adjust the Parker to match and then adjust to suit.

[^]

Alex

Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Action Measurements?

Offline BrainWorm

Action Measurements?
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 01:28:38 AM »
A bass book I read said 2.0mm (0.08") - 2.5mm(0.10") , G string - E string is a medium action. That is at the 12th fret but the book did not say to hold down the strings at the first fret.

1.5mm (0.06")  on G and 1.5mm-1.8mm (0.07") on E  is a low action.

"Brainverms come crawling and creeping and eat you when you're sleeping."
"Brainverms come crawling and creeping and eat you when you're sleeping."

Action Measurements?

Offline badmotorfinger74

Action Measurements?
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 08:59:02 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by 908ssp

I think action height is so dependent on the players preference that any number is meaningless. .080 seems really low but it all depends on how you play. If you had another bass that you liked just adjust the Parker to match and then adjust to suit.

[^]

Alex

It seems really low compared to my Fender Jazz Bass, but the two instruments are really very different, so I wasn't sure if the setups should be similar.  I just know with the Parker guitars you can get a really low action, that I was unable to get with other guitars that I used to own.  I guess I just really liked the factory setup for the Parker guitars, so I thought I'd have similar luck with the bass...  But I don't know what that setup is.

As for how to measure the action, the whole thing about fretting the first fret is in the Parker manual.  I guess I just assumed this carried over to the basses as well.

Action Measurements?

Offline 908ssp

Action Measurements?
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 10:05:22 AM »
See I find Parker guitars set up just as bad from the factory as most all other guitars. I guess my years working as a tech has just made me assume they are all bad as that is what I saw everyday. Of course well setup guitars weren't being brought in for a setup were they?[;)]

[^]

Alex

Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Action Measurements?

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
Action Measurements?
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 06:08:00 PM »
I haven't actually measured the action on my Mojo Nitefly, but the action is so low that it is disgusting! In a good way. [;)]

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams