Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Dig the Pop Top Ten For This Week  (Read 3937 times)

Offline prjacobs

Dig the Pop Top Ten For This Week
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2007, 04:11:08 PM »
When Elvis did over 20 takes of Hound Dog it was done in a few hours.  When Mutt Lange spent a week working on the snare drum sound for the Cars "You Might Think," it's a far different animal. (This is not an exaggeration, it took a week!) My comments are in no way meant to simplify the recording process.  Exactly the opposite.  I've been a professional composer/arranger/producer for almost 40 years, I know how hard it is.  Arranging for real instruments in mono or stereo requires much more skill than mulitrack recording with samples, vocalign, beat detective, pitch shift etc.  Strandwolf, I was born in 1950, so I'm basically your age. If your serious about being always willing to learn, keep listening. Good songs are still being written.  Forget about CDs, that part of the business is over.  Television is now breaking new bands.  Even commercials showcase new music.  Go on to Myspace, look for your favorite artist and see what they listen to.
Best,
Paul
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 04:11:32 PM by prjacobs »

Offline Strandwolf

• http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577969013
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2007, 04:34:37 PM »
Paul,

Good idea. While I'm open to new sounds I will admit to being locked into what I've already discovered that I enjoy.

My musical interests are quite narrow, and I suppose fall mainly in the genres labeled deep soul, rockabilly, roots rock, rhythm 'n blues, blues....
Only what I consider to be the "best" that lie in these categories, songs personally liked for one reason or another, or several or many reasons, it's an intuitive, right-brained thing--to analyze it is to extract the fun and emotion, passion, exhilaration, exultation, well, I'll hold off at that point. Almost had some fireworks.[:o)]

I've got a huge backlog of unlistened-to music that has come highly recommended by people whose judgment generally gibes well with my demented one, so I'm rather disinclined to prowl around in musical areas that don't generally resonate with me, sad to say: classical, jazz, folk, pop, heavy metal, punk, world--oh, I do like some ska and bluebeat.

I mean, I'll get around to checking out the CKY chap, because he plays a Parker and therefore I want to see what he does with it, but otherwise, what's the attraction for this dummy--CKY's current, CKY's popular, CKY looks cool, has boss gear? Not enough, given that I've got thousands of hours of music already purchased and ready to play, and replay, if it does the trick for me. Not to mention my known treasured tunes, played many times and good for at least another spin.

But, I do pay attention to recommendations given here and at a few other music sites, and on YouTube I end up looking and hearing interesting, even delightful music accidentally.

So I'm wondering, how come only about 9 people have looked into my Matthew Stubbs link on the Ultimate Parker Star forum, er, probably 'favorite guitarists' topic? I put it on there 2 days ago! Shoulda put EVH or Vai in the header[:D]
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 04:47:31 PM by Strandwolf »
Parkers: Pick, cap, T-shirt, clock, and other assorted accouterments

Offline ckyvick

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2007, 11:52:30 PM »
you people are so lucky to have been born back then in regards to many things. music has degenerated into such horrid crap today taht i cant even listen to the radio unless its oldies or classic rock. why is it that you guys got the awesoem generation and we are stuck with generation OVERDONE.. its like trends/mtv own the music scene which stinks!!

Offline uburoibob

• Bob Martin 11:11
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2008, 07:22:35 AM »
What's funny now is that there is no really meaningful Top Ten. Instead we have genre-specific charts that cater to increasingly microscopic sections of the music world. I intend to have a hit on the "trance-jazz-ambient-soundtrack-with-American-roots-overtones" Top Ten chart!

Bob

2001 Parker Fly Single 2 Silver  â€¢ 1997 Parker Fly Concert Burnt Butterscotch  â€¢  1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch  â€¢  1998 Fly Classic in Transparent Dark Blue  â€¢  1998 Fly Classic in Cherry Red with DiBurro Roland Mod •  http://bobmartin1111.com
1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch -   2000 Fly Standard Classic in Cherry Red - http://bobmartin1111.com

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2008, 08:43:59 AM »
[:D]

Same with Emmey Award " Nominee's"

There must be 100 categories with a thousand nominee's for each.

Anyone of them though is probably a notch above the microspecific pop awards.

I actually won the "music for totally deaf people" category.
I saved on recording costs too 'cause I just shipped the blank CD but with a really cool label[;)]

Sanity is the ability to live in harmony with nature's laws.

There is plenty enough amazing reality to go around to obviate the need for fabricating  substitutes.

You don't know who your true corporate friends are, until you run for office.
A few Flys in my soup

Offline prjacobs

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2008, 07:52:15 PM »
Hey Bill,
Ouch!  I just won my 2nd Emmy this year for best original song in a children's animated series.  I competed against 46 songs, written and performed by a wide variety of artists, many you'd know. The first part of the nomination eliminates all, in theory, but the best few songs, and then the winner is picked by fellow writers and composers.  There is no commercial agenda, just a nod from my fellow artists in the industry.

Offline jazzrat

« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2008, 09:54:16 PM »
Congrats Paul!!! As you and I discussed on the phone there is some seriously good work done in children's programming, and the caliber of musician's who are behind the scenes is amazing.
I'm reminded every time I see Joe Negri on Mr. Rogers while watching with my son.

'02 Fly Classic Hardtail,'07 NiteFly Alder, Ibanez AS80, Eastman 805 CE Archtop,  MIM jazz bass, Takemine '95 SC-132EC
Fly Classic, Ibanez AS-193, Eric Johnson Strat, Eastman AR403-CE, Cordoba Fusion 12 Maple, Fretless Jazz Bass