Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tapping/touch technique/Stanley Jordan  (Read 3212 times)

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
Tapping/touch technique/Stanley Jordan
« on: September 28, 2007, 10:00:16 PM »
http://stanleyjordan.com/Technique/starting.html

Custom '03 Hardtail MoJarzio(Mojo with stock Dimarzio's); Custom '03 Hardtail Artist;Custom '98 Artist w Duncans;Ruby Red Fly Deluxe 2000; Gorgeous Gibson ES137(4sale); 1974 K.Yari DY85; SchecterDisposable; Martin Backpacker/paddle combo;VoxAD30VT;SWR California Blonde
A few Flys in my soup

Offline Strandwolf

• http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577969013
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 10:25:30 PM »
Mr. Jordan runs a music store in Sedona, Arizona these days.
Parkers: Pick, cap, T-shirt, clock, and other assorted accouterments

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2007, 06:47:02 AM »
From Jordan's article:

quote:
How low must you set your action ? Extremely low! If the distance between a string and the 12th fret is greater than the thickness of a penny, it is probably too high. After you become more proficient with tapping, you may decide to bring your action back up a bit for a fuller sound.

Yep, he's right on with that. It becomes too much work if your action is too high, and it hurts your fingers, too. That's how the action is on all of my guitars, I like it LOOOWWWWWWWW. [;)]

quote:
Even with clean, direct fingering, you will still get sympathetic vibrations in the strings you're not touching, so you will probably need some kind of damper near the nut to prevent vibrations in the untouched  strings.

This has always been the battle for me, to try and dampen those sympathetic vibrations. I do a decent job of it, but it's a lot easier if you have string dampers on your guitar like Stanley's custom Vigiers do. The thing that I don't like about string dampers is that they muffle the open strings, and I like to use open strings with fretted notes. Kind of a catch-22 for me. [:(]

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams

Offline simonlock

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2007, 07:22:53 AM »
What a weird tuning. I don't think I've ever seen E B D G C F

Simon
Vancouver,BC

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2007, 08:03:39 AM »
This has always been the battle for me, to try and dampen those sympathetic vibrations. I do a decent job of it, but it's a lot easier if you have string dampers on your guitar like Stanley's custom Vigiers do. The thing that I don't like about string dampers is that they muffle the open strings, and I like to use open strings with fretted notes. Kind of a catch-22 for me. [:(]

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams

Re dampening for touch style--Maybe a zero fret set up is the answer here?

Re "touch style":

I have begun trying this a bit. Its blowing my mind. Notes and chord positions I would normally automatically recognize, now baffle me. I sit there and look at my finger positions mystified and it takes me awhile to figure out where to touch notes that I usually never have to think about finding. Funny how small perception changes can throw you.

Still its opening up a lot of new territory for me.  I had noticed my style shifting up the neck since I started playing Flys, even before I recently learned about this style(yeah I'm a caveman). I have always played at least half the time without a pick and I notice that now I'm now often catching myself with both hands up on the neck [?]

Custom '03 Hardtail MoJarzio(Mojo with stock Dimarzio's); Custom '03 Hardtail Artist;Custom '98 Artist w Duncans;Ruby Red Fly Deluxe 2000; Gorgeous Gibson ES137(4sale); 1974 K.Yari DY85; SchecterDisposable; Martin Backpacker/paddle combo;VoxAD30VT;SWR California Blonde
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 08:11:09 AM by Bill »
A few Flys in my soup

Offline Paul Marossy

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2007, 08:53:17 AM »
I never really tried doing chords with tapping, I kind of have more of my own approach. Not like the Eddie Van Halen type sound, it's different.

Here's one thing I recorded almost ten years ago that uses a lot fingertapping: http://www.diyguitarist.com/MySpace/Music/Invisible.wav
The main guitar is all fingertapping, from beginning to end. There's a couple of imperfections in it, but I always liked the feel of the tune. I recorded this when I was in a long depression and felt like I was invisible. So, I named it "Invisible".

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 08:57:23 AM by Paul Marossy »

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2007, 11:49:52 AM »
Wow Paul, I think thats fantastic. And if it matters, it doesn't sound depressing to me at all. Doesn't even sound invisible. Mostly sounds to me like you've got a groove going [:)]

A few Flys in my soup

Offline Paul Marossy

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2007, 12:01:07 PM »
Thanks Bill. I never really liked the minor sound that much when I am the one playing guitar. Most people would probably play something in a minor key if they were bummed, but not me. I'm unconventional through and through. [;)]

Anyhow, the tune is built around the finger tapping part which I stumbled upon one day while practicing. Then I added the fretless bass part and the second electric guitar part which is doing a series of "parallel fifth" arpeggiated triads. Basically, the root note with a fifth above the root and then a fifth above that, a six fret stretch. It was a spur of the moment kind of thing which usually are the best for me. [8D]

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 12:06:50 PM by Paul Marossy »

Offline David Tomkins

• Advanced Member
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2007, 09:35:55 AM »
good tune paul, sounds good.  the guitar sounds very 1987 to me (surfing with the alien) which is a favourite era of miine!!

2005 Green Quilted Maple Custom Mojo, 2006 Parker Fly T-Shirt, 2006 Parker Fly Baseball Cap.  A triple-whammy of Parker goodness!!
2005 Green Quilted Maple Custom Mojo signed by Steve Vai, 2006 Parker Fly T-Shirt, 2006 Parker Fly Baseball Cap.  A triple-whammy of Parker goodness!!

Offline Paul Marossy

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2007, 09:50:38 AM »
quote:
good tune paul, sounds good. the guitar sounds very 1987 to me (surfing with the alien) which is a favourite era of miine!!

Thanks David. I was listening to Joe Satriani a lot a few years before I recorded that. I always liked his guitar tones and his style of tapping - it was always more tasteful and melodic to me than others who were into doing that style of playing at the time. [8D]

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams