Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Bending and Vibrato  (Read 5583 times)

Offline simonlock

Bending and Vibrato
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2007, 08:52:21 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Strandwolf

Simon, you might give a listen to Michael Bloomfield's rendition of 'Albert's Shuffle' on the Super Sessions with Al Kooper.

Synesthesiatically, it's kind of like a lava lamp. Bloomfield was a vibrato maestro.

Simon: mother humpin' load righchere:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBIC5wfFqSM

&...
This cat plays a Diane Allman signature Gibson:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lheaHVEPEGg

He gets his sweet vibrato with the index finger mostly quavering slowly, steadily, toward the high E string side of the fretboard, rather than pushing up towards himself.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lheaHVEPEGg

I just can't listen to that stuff. I just don't like the blues.

Simon
Vancouver,BC

Bending and Vibrato

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
Bending and Vibrato
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2007, 09:14:01 AM »
quote:
I just don't like the blues.

I don't like the blues all that much, either, but a few of those cats play a very mean guitar with great vibrato. I think of Stevie Ray Vaughn and Roy Buchanan - gnarly, nasty, in your face guitar tones with dynmaic technique.

Another guy that plays a very cool, unique version of the blues is Scott Henderson - I love that guy! He is one of my biggest influences, next to Allan Holdsworth.

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams

Bending and Vibrato

Offline simonlock

Bending and Vibrato
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2007, 09:19:38 AM »
Paul I like those guys too! I know it's risky to make a statement like "I don't like the blues" but I've tried so hard to and just can't. When it's something like what Holdsworth or Henderson or Beck might do then it's different. Satriani I like. Buddy Guy kinda stuff I don't. I geuss another thing that makes me not like it is that everyone says the like it. I'm not one for jumping on the same boat with every other person on the planet nor do I believe they all like it.

Simon
Vancouver,BC

Bending and Vibrato

Offline Paul Marossy

Bending and Vibrato
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2007, 09:22:24 AM »
I think we are on the same wavelength, Simon. [8D]

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams

Bending and Vibrato

Offline Strandwolf

• http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577969013
Bending and Vibrato
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2007, 01:30:04 PM »
I am on the verge of putting a couple of clowns on my ignore list.[;)]

Hey, I feel the same way about jazz.

Back to my boogie woogie.[8]
Parkers: Pick, cap, T-shirt, clock, and other assorted accouterments

Bending and Vibrato

Offline Lwinn171

Bending and Vibrato
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2007, 09:28:14 AM »
I bend notes with a motion that begins in the elbow, rotating the forearm, while slightly extending the fingers. For a big bend, I use two fingers, one on the note (say, ring finger) and a second (middle finger) on the same string, but behind the actual note (same fret, different fret- doesn't matter). This gives more leverage to move the bend further. I do a lot of bending (I used to take it to serious extremes, bending up a 4th or even a 5th at times, but am a bit more relaxed these days). Sometimes I'll bend backwards (usually on the D, A or low E string) bending towards the higher strings, so as not to run out of fretboard, or for a different feel. Again, this involves a twist of the forearm, in the other direction, and pulling rather than pushing the string being bent.[;)]

Also, for me, it is imperative that the action not be too low. I have to be able to bend under the adjacent strings, or they will slide under the bend string making an audible (and usually ugly) second note. If the action is really low, bending is very tough for me. Of course, this probably slows down my ability to shred... One must find the set-up that works best for the techniques one considers most important, or find a middle ground that doesn't compromise the most important aspects of your playing.

Vibrato I do in various ways. A nice slow tasteful vibrato I do just with the fingers back and forth across the fret (not up and down the neck like a violinist). For a real aggressive vibrato, the thumb comes off the back of the neck, and the whole hand shakes. Steve Via described his vibrato techniques once, and said he prefers a "circular" vibrato, incorporating the back and forth (violinist style) and the up and down (across the fret) styles into a circular motion. Leave it to him to make playing one note as difficult as possible.[;)]

Lawrence Winn
2001 Classic,1998 Classic
Boogie MK IV, Behringer ACX-1800, Zoom A2, various effects
« Last Edit: October 28, 2007, 09:41:09 AM by Lwinn171 »

Lawrence Winn
2001 Classic, 98 Deluxe
various amps, various toys

Bending and Vibrato

Offline Paul Marossy

Bending and Vibrato
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2007, 10:57:13 AM »
quote:
For a real aggressive vibrato, the thumb comes off the back of the neck, and the whole hand shakes.

I find myself doing this once in a while.

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams

Bending and Vibrato

Offline Strandwolf

Bending and Vibrato
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2007, 11:27:16 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by (name deleted)

quote:
For a real aggressive vibrato, the thumb comes off the back of the neck, and the whole hand shakes.

I find myself doing this once in a while.

Find a girlfriend~[8)]:

Honey you shake and I'll rattle and we'll roll on down the line
I'm going to try to swing you up into my saddle
And then we'll run but you'll think were flyin'
Now honey don't just stand there
Lookin' like this dream will never end
Honey let me introduce you to my redneck friend

Jackson Browne lyrics
w/boadacious slide by David Lindley
« Last Edit: October 28, 2007, 11:35:15 AM by Strandwolf »

Bending and Vibrato

Offline Paul Marossy

Bending and Vibrato
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2007, 03:59:42 PM »
I umm... I mean uh... well you know... Oh never mind. [:I]

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams

Bending and Vibrato

Offline Strandwolf

Bending and Vibrato
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2007, 05:40:31 PM »
Ok, so Rosie wears your ring.[8D]

Bending and Vibrato

Offline Eruption

Bending and Vibrato
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2007, 05:32:38 AM »
I use the Rock method of bending my fingers when I do rock vibrato and I often do what I call "Tapped Bends"where i'll tap a note on the guitar and bend it up a whole step.

2007 Parker Fly Deluxe
2001 Yamaha DG60
No cool quotes now...
'07 Fly Deluxe- Dusty Black
'10 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Plus
'11 Suhr Modern Custom (ON ORDER)
'10 Mesa/Boogie Mark V head
'00s Randall MTS 2x12
TC Electronic Flashback Delay/ISP Decimator
...and some strange beautiful secrets...

Bending and Vibrato

Offline David Tomkins

• Advanced Member
Bending and Vibrato
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2007, 03:11:30 AM »
vibrato - wide and slow.  although yngwie's playing is much maligned, his vibrato is a real warble.  if you want to get good vibrato, forget guitarists and listen to singers.  Start and finish with Karen Carpenter on her slow ballads.  you can slow the tune down and hear that she is almost pitch perfect with impeccable timing on her warble.  inspirational.  ignore the vomit inducing, sickly-sweet 70's arrangments though.

2005 Green Quilted Maple Custom Mojo, 2006 Parker Fly T-Shirt, 2006 Parker Fly Baseball Cap.  A triple-whammy of Parker goodness!!
2005 Green Quilted Maple Custom Mojo signed by Steve Vai, 2006 Parker Fly T-Shirt, 2006 Parker Fly Baseball Cap.  A triple-whammy of Parker goodness!!

Bending and Vibrato

Offline prjacobs

Bending and Vibrato
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2007, 06:14:29 AM »
David, You're on the same wavelength as my earlier comment, but of course we should make sure to ignore the vomit inducing after eating, as Karen Carpenter did far too often, resulting in, unfortunately, her early demise.

Bending and Vibrato

Offline David Tomkins

• Advanced Member
Bending and Vibrato
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2007, 02:45:55 AM »
[:0]  am i allowed to laugh at that?  i'd forgotten about that!![}:)]

2005 Green Quilted Maple Custom Mojo, 2006 Parker Fly T-Shirt, 2006 Parker Fly Baseball Cap.  A triple-whammy of Parker goodness!!
2005 Green Quilted Maple Custom Mojo signed by Steve Vai, 2006 Parker Fly T-Shirt, 2006 Parker Fly Baseball Cap.  A triple-whammy of Parker goodness!!

Bending and Vibrato

Offline bembamboo

Bending and Vibrato
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2008, 07:35:14 PM »
My only lesson was listening to Clapton's vibrato on "While My Guitar Gently Weeps". For bending, intonating is key.  Find the note you want to bend up to on a different string, and play it until your bent note rises to unison with it. But, with vibrato bars, the spring complicates this simple excercise. darn Parker vibrato systems!  Hard tails give MUCH better intonated bends, especially when you use the fuller sound of more than on string.  Bend chords! Bending DOWN however is only possible with vibratos or bent necks.  Bending down with tall blondes is an entirely more satisfying process.  Sorry.