Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Blues, Shred or What?  (Read 6193 times)

Offline Yoyo

Blues, Shred or What?
« on: October 26, 2007, 05:58:17 AM »
Simon and Paul recently admitted to not liking blues which is fair enough {though it shocked me a little} as there's nothing more subjective than musical tastes. I'm in the opposite camp, a total blues freak who doesn't like modern shredding. I'd be quick to admit it's technically brilliant, but to me it sounds like showing off and smacks of onanism.

I think this subject of likes and dislikes in music and especially guitar styles is a good subject for debate. All opinions welcome.
The only thing that exists is this moment now.

Blues, Shred or What?

Offline guitarmanuk

Blues, Shred or What?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 06:56:04 AM »
As mentioned, this is all subjective.  We all like different styles and have preferences for some more than others.  I like many styles from jazz to rock, fusion to classical and all variants in between but I suppose blues is my favourite "all round" style.  But you have to take that a bit further.  Delta blues, blues rock, jump blues, power blues etc. So many other styles can be mixed with blues, which is what makes it so interesting to play and to listen to.  

I would agree that the "woke up this morning" type slow blues would get very boring if that is all ther was but listen to Hendrix play Red House and then Rory Gallagher play Laundromat and they are like chalk and cheese, but both still called "blues".  

Also, how do you categorise your favourite players?  For example Larry Carlton is one of my favorites and he is really a jazz player, but plays some great blues.  Robben Ford is mainly a blues player, but plays some great jazz.  I think this discussion could go on for some time.

David

1997 Parker Fly Classic transparent Teal Green

www.dancineasy.co.uk my wedding/function band
www.saxandguitar.co.uk my sax and guitar duo
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 06:57:50 AM by guitarmanuk »
David

1997 Parker Fly Classic transparent Teal Green
1997 Parker Fly Concert Butterscotch

Blues, Shred or What?

Offline simonlock

Blues, Shred or What?
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 08:55:46 AM »
I think it's because I have A.D.D. or something. I need to have notes buzzing around in my brain or I'm not happy. Like some of the first violin solos I heard or a dazzling piano piece. Even Zappa. But on the other hand I love the feeling of a good Satriani love song too or rockin pop/rock song like Nickelback. I didn't grow up with the blues and it just doesn't settle well with my ear. That's not to say I don't like all of it. Traditional blues is basically what I don't like. Of all the blues I've heard there has got to be about 95% where I'm not shocked or amazed moved or anything. Mostly it's because they're so stuck on playing the same boring 12 or 8bar blues. Sure it's fun to jam to I'll admit but I can't listen to the same progression song after song. It's when they do something spicy or have a jazzy orchestrator that I start waking up to it. Take Derek Trucks for example. I find that amazing. But it's more world/jazz than straight blues.

The other main reason for my distance from the blues is genre crossing. I try to avoid staying faithful to only one. I like to see musicians that mix it up. Get jazzy, pluck some country, shred some metal or even write a dance number. Anything but repeating progressions. I've just heard them too many times.

Simon
Vancouver,BC

Blues, Shred or What?

Offline 908ssp

Blues, Shred or What?
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007, 09:00:37 AM »
I like what I like.

I like stuff from most every music genera. I like more rock from my teenage years than from the 90's. I think pigeon holing of music in specific genera's is bad for music and for educating the palate of the general public. I think a lot of music labeling is just nonsensical Led Zeppelin is not heavy metal.

I am not going to say if it is good because I decide if it is good therefore it is the same as saying I like what I like.

Alex

Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Blues, Shred or What?

Offline simonlock

Blues, Shred or What?
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 09:16:18 AM »
I agree with Alex. I like what I like. There's a lot of shred that I wouldn't listen to either. Probably 90% of the Shrapnel label wouldn't interest me. I think that's why I like Martone so much, he's like a big stewing pot full of craziness.

Alex, Steve Vai's new sound creations CD is listed as metal too!

There's 12 tones. Lets have a blast with them.

Simon
Vancouver,BC

Blues, Shred or What?

Offline loumt123

Blues, Shred or What?
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2007, 02:22:24 PM »
I like everything but I love jazz.

Blues, Shred or What?

Offline Lwinn171

Blues, Shred or What?
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2007, 04:20:36 PM »
My Dad once told me that every form of art displays brilliance according to the following formula: 90 to 95 % of any medium or style is crap, and 5 to 10% is really good. Maybe 2 or 3% is actually brilliant. It's all about finding what you consider to be the best of whatever happens to groove with your sensibilities (or better yet, creating it).

Lawrence Winn
2001 Classic,1998 Classic
Boogie MK IV, Behringer ACX-1800, Zoom A2, various effects

Lawrence Winn
2001 Classic, 98 Deluxe
various amps, various toys

Blues, Shred or What?

Offline jazzrat

Blues, Shred or What?
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2007, 04:58:10 PM »
I can appreciate the blues but I'm not much into the pocket-knife-for-a-slide, sittin' on the porch variety.
I love jazz too but I lean toward more melodic stuff rather than hard bop. I listen to everthing and enjoy some of all of it. I really like the guys who have made a mark significant enough for us to want to play like them. Larry Carlton always kills me. Mark Knopfler too.

'02 Fly Classic Hardtail,AMDlx Tele, Ibanez AS80, Eastman 805 CE Archtop,  MIM jazz bass, Takemine '95 SC-132EC
Fly Classic, Ibanez AS-193, Eric Johnson Strat, Eastman AR403-CE, Cordoba Fusion 12 Maple, Fretless Jazz Bass

Blues, Shred or What?

Offline loumt123

Blues, Shred or What?
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2007, 08:25:15 PM »
haha I love bop. Give me changes and lots of 'em [;)]. I like the crooner stuff, too. Everything from big band to solo jazz guitar and vocal jazz...all of it. I guess that kind of encompasses blues, too.

Blues, Shred or What?

Offline Eruption

Blues, Shred or What?
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2007, 08:38:28 PM »
Shawn Lane is my favorite guitarist and he is fusion.

2007 Parker Fly Deluxe
2001 Yamaha DG60
No cool quotes now...
'07 Fly Deluxe- Dusty Black
'10 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Plus
'11 Suhr Modern Custom (ON ORDER)
'10 Mesa/Boogie Mark V head
'00s Randall MTS 2x12
TC Electronic Flashback Delay/ISP Decimator
...and some strange beautiful secrets...

Blues, Shred or What?

Offline davecan

• http://www.candidsounds.com
Blues, Shred or What?
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2007, 08:01:35 AM »
Selective within all styles, but blues is #1, especially old dead guys (I hope to be an old dead guy myself one day).

"Git on the stick, Parker kin, and rustle us up some Southern Flys 'fore we whoop yo behinds!" ~
"Cotton" Candido
Southern Nitefly/Nitefly Mojo

Dave

Blues, Shred or What?

Offline bno

Blues, Shred or What?
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2007, 10:22:05 AM »
'94 Fly Deluxe
Listen first, then play.

Blues, Shred or What?

Offline cy2989

• http://chrisyoungportraits.com
Blues, Shred or What?
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2007, 11:38:12 AM »
The only problem with the techiques that one learns to play the shredding style of guitar is that it leads to playing a lot of notes because they can.  But not necessarily because they should.  When that is the case it becomes a little like juggling.  It's amazing but not very inspiring.

Blues, Shred or What?

Offline simonlock

Blues, Shred or What?
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2007, 12:05:15 PM »
Shredding can be such a lame generalization though. Is a player a shredder because they CAN play almost anything or because ALL they do is play fast? On one hand the word is used to describe an action and on the other hands a genre and an insult all at the same time.

Simon
Vancouver,BC

Blues, Shred or What?

Offline jamrcat

Blues, Shred or What?
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2007, 12:18:46 PM »
quote:
When that is the case it becomes a little like juggling. It's amazing but not very inspiring.

Juggling is a good word to describe alot that I've heard. I love shredding when it's tasteful and in most cases is short! I love to hear a great cookin' song and then have a tasteful shred lead. I just get tired of hearing it all the time! [:)]

98' Fly Artist w/RMC (Thanks Dayn!)
93' Parker Fly Deluxe hardtail RP "Blackie" KP Signature (Thank You! Bob & Ken)
2FlyBob (Thanks Paul!)

jamrcat
Butte, Montana
"A Fly for each hand!"