Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Blues, Shred or What?  (Read 6194 times)

Offline Eruption

Blues, Shred or What?
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2007, 12:20:02 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVVyi-DuwMQ

2007 Parker Fly Deluxe
2001 Yamaha DG60
No cool quotes now...
'07 Fly Deluxe- Dusty Black
'10 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Plus
'11 Suhr Modern Custom (ON ORDER)
'10 Mesa/Boogie Mark V head
'00s Randall MTS 2x12
TC Electronic Flashback Delay/ISP Decimator
...and some strange beautiful secrets...

Blues, Shred or What?

Offline cy2989

• http://chrisyoungportraits.com
Blues, Shred or What?
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2007, 04:09:21 PM »
Eruption, that video is more what I call fusion.  Sort of in the Alan Holdsworth sense.  When I think of shredding I'm thinking more Eddie Van Halen (I'm sure there are better examples but I'm just not in the know about who they are).  Those are just my definitions though.

And BTW, I have the same problem with some fusion.  Sometimes just too many notes just because the player can.  It seems like more fun for the guitarist than the audience.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2007, 04:11:10 PM by cy2989 »

Blues, Shred or What?

Offline jazzrat

Blues, Shred or What?
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2007, 05:04:07 PM »
I think it was Jim Hall that said "I'd like to be able to play like that and then choose not to."
I'd love to have that kind of facility(ie....actually had the talent and done the work to go with it.) Holdsworth to me is a guy that really uses his speed to good effect.

'02 Fly Classic Hardtail,AMDlx Tele, Ibanez AS80, Eastman 805 CE Archtop,  MIM jazz bass, Takemine '95 SC-132EC
Fly Classic, Ibanez AS-193, Eric Johnson Strat, Eastman AR403-CE, Cordoba Fusion 12 Maple, Fretless Jazz Bass

Blues, Shred or What?

Offline JSanta

Blues, Shred or What?
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2007, 07:01:05 PM »
I guess I kind of fall all over the place.  When I first started playing guitar, all I cared about was becoming the next name in blues.  I spent countless hours listening to and learning everything I could from Gary Moore, SRV, Johnny Winter, BB King, Roy Buchanan, you name it.  My father was just a huge influence on me as far as that is concerned, even though he can't even hold a guitar.  I would come home and listen to the Allman Brothers with my father for hours.

But then something happened.  He brought home Vinnie Moore's "The Maze" and my musical direction completely changed.  Shred became my obsession, and I spent every hour I practiced with a metronome and a Dream Theater cd.  Not to say that I became proficient, but I could handle my own in that situation.  I just loved all aspects of Shred.  

But now I realize there is a time and a place for all of that.  There is no need to shred all of the time, and now, when I do get to play, I just do what feels right.  I have the theory to jam along with whatever I like, and the discipline to slow down, unlike I did when I was 18.

And now that I have a Chapman Stick, my aim is completely different again.  Everyone that knows me really well just says that I have a complacency problem.  I am never happy for too long, and I have to be doing new things.  I can never be doing just one thing or I go crazy.  Some people call that a problem, I call it a gift or a burden depending on the day!

/jim

Blues, Shred or What?

Offline cy2989

• http://chrisyoungportraits.com
Blues, Shred or What?
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2007, 07:58:25 AM »
Jim, How is the stick going?  Do you feel like you're getting over the learning hump?  I'm a little like you.  A friend described me as a hummingbird, spending a little time at each flower.  But I think all that experience tends to round out who you are.  Just as long as you focus long enough to become proficient at something.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2007, 07:59:06 AM by cy2989 »

Blues, Shred or What?

Offline JSanta

Blues, Shred or What?
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2007, 12:23:33 PM »
I think being in the Army has really taught me to focus on something longer than I generally would have because I have to!  I like the hummingbird analogy, it is quite fiting.

As far as the Stick is concerned, I haven't had a great deal of time to really learn much other than left hand bass chords and walking bass lines, but I feel much more comfortable on it now.  It does take some time though, it's not easy by any stretch of the imagination, but I get so inspired watching videos on YouTube and listening to Stick players.

/jim

Blues, Shred or What?

Offline Eruption

Blues, Shred or What?
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2007, 05:27:00 AM »
My take on this is,We all like what we like,I love to shred but at the same time,I'll play blues and jazz too.If you don't like shred,no one can make you like it but don't bash other peoples taste[I see this a lot on YouTube and other internet guitar forums].

2007 Parker Fly Deluxe
2001 Yamaha DG60
No cool quotes now...
'07 Fly Deluxe- Dusty Black
'10 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Plus
'11 Suhr Modern Custom (ON ORDER)
'10 Mesa/Boogie Mark V head
'00s Randall MTS 2x12
TC Electronic Flashback Delay/ISP Decimator
...and some strange beautiful secrets...

Blues, Shred or What?

Offline loumt123

Blues, Shred or What?
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2007, 07:21:24 AM »
psh shred is for n00bs ([:D] haha just kidding)

Blues, Shred or What?

Offline Toonman

• http://www.sergiomucino.com
Blues, Shred or What?
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2007, 04:30:04 PM »
I love shredding... ol, let me rephrase that. I love MUSICAL shredding. Meaning... I'm all for a speed-of-light run of notes, IF it is placed within the right context, and it conveys a musical idea. I HATE shredders who blaze through arpeggios during a solo and sound like they're doing sweep exercises in their bedrooms (and I've heard many like that).

Playing fast and complicated technical parts (a.k.a shredding) is something I'm perfectly OK with. And believe it or not, I find it not only in rock, but in other genres as well (I love how Pat Metheny shreds!!! [:D]). Even violin players of the old days were "shreddin'" away... so, in the end, we can see that shredding is a lot more than shredding... [:)]

These days, I'm more into really weird players or music... stuff that will fire my imagination and make twisty spices come out of my chest... Oz Noy, Kaki King, Feist... aaah, the refreshing sensation of pasta and BBQ grills... more beer here please! I will take some sun and remember the days... [^]

So... anyone for shredding tonight? Grab yer guitar, turn off the light... mama, don't shout... I'm not having a fight... just shreddin', shredding tonight... [8D]

Sergio Muciño
http://www.myspace.com/sergiomucino
http://www.sergiomucino.com

Blues, Shred or What?

Offline loumt123

Blues, Shred or What?
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2007, 05:59:56 PM »
my favorite shredder is frank gambale. killer chops...but so tasteful

Blues, Shred or What?

Offline uburoibob

• Bob Martin 11:11
Blues, Shred or What?
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2007, 08:16:57 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by jazzrat

I think it was Jim Hall that said "I'd like to be able to play like that and then choose not to."
I'd love to have that kind of facility(ie....actually had the talent and done the work to go with it.) Holdsworth to me is a guy that really uses his speed to good effect.

'02 Fly Classic Hardtail,AMDlx Tele, Ibanez AS80, Eastman 805 CE Archtop,  MIM jazz bass, Takemine '95 SC-132EC

I dunno if it was Jim, but I LOVE that quote! It's such a great statement. "I'd like to be able to play like that and then choose not to." It at once acknowledges chops AND musicality. It can be taken as a cutting remark, but I'd prefer to think of it as an indication of learning beyond the technical.

Bob

1997 Parker Fly Concert Burnt Butterscotch  â€¢  1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch  â€¢  1998 Fly Classic in Transparent Dark Blue  â€¢  1998 Fly Classic in Cherry Red with DiBurro Roland Mod •  http://bobmartin1111.com
1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch -   2000 Fly Standard Classic in Cherry Red - http://bobmartin1111.com

Blues, Shred or What?

Offline Yoyo

Blues, Shred or What?
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2007, 06:11:24 AM »
I can understand why many people don't like blues as there's so much dross out there. Some exponents seem to sing the same old blues melody for every song accompanied by the same tired old riffs on the guitar. However thats not the blues fault, if its approached as a fresh and exciting musical form that's exactly how it sounds, witness Jeff Becks blues ie Rollin and Tumblin from the You Had It Coming album.

Meanwhile there's the shredders, they all seem to be expressing the same emotion as in "look out I'm a crazy guy on fire" sort of tongue out thing. As humans we possess more than one emotion and I'd like to hear them take that on board instead of that speed is everything, tits out sort of thing.
The only thing that exists is this moment now.

Blues, Shred or What?

Offline simonlock

Blues, Shred or What?
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2007, 08:37:34 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Yoyo

I can understand why many people don't like blues as there's so much dross out there. Some exponents seem to sing the same old blues melody for every song accompanied by the same tired old riffs on the guitar. However thats not the blues fault, if its approached as a fresh and exciting musical form that's exactly how it sounds, witness Jeff Becks blues ie Rollin and Tumblin from the You Had It Coming album.

Meanwhile there's the shredders, they all seem to be expressing the same emotion as in "look out I'm a crazy guy on fire" sort of tongue out thing. As humans we possess more than one emotion and I'd like to hear them take that on board instead of that speed is everything, tits out sort of thing.

The only thing that exists is this moment now.

YoYo it's just all the same generalization. I know what you're saying about the blues and I agree there is a small percentage of musicians that are always breaking new ground and turning powerful emotion into song. The same goes for shredders. There are only a small percentage of them that make music that emulates their emotions. Satriani and Vai are shredders but clearly are driven by the right forces. Andy Timmons,Dave Martone and your countryman Guthrie Govan are all guys you should spend time listening to. Paul Gilbert and John Petrucci(I'm gonna get blackballed here) are more your typical in your face note bashers. I admire a lot of what they do but it doesn't say much to me. Gilbert's constant heavy pick attack combined with his maxed treble tone is brutal to listen to. Petrucci is a machine but very few of his passages seem to convey an idea to me.

Simon
Vancouver,BC

Blues, Shred or What?

Offline simonlock

Blues, Shred or What?
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2007, 08:45:08 AM »
I'd like to add that it's in my own ignorance that I made the statement that Idon't like the blues. I just don't like 95% of it. Maybe that mean I don't like it and maybe it's just that that's how music is. I suppose it's pretty safe to say that I like about 5% of each genre.

Simon
Vancouver,BC

Blues, Shred or What?

Offline jamrcat

Blues, Shred or What?
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2007, 09:13:37 AM »
I'm with you on most of your thoughts about blues Simon. Too much and it is a downer (blues!). I like emotional stuff though. So even though your talkin' mostly about a style I also love the stuff that touches the heart and that could be any style! I came up through the "bubble gum" era and I'm prone to happy stuff! Believe it when I say I love show tunes, music that inspires you to get off your fanny and move. I can't move much anymore but I want to! [:D]

98' Fly Artist w/RMC (Thanks Dayn!)
93' Parker Fly Deluxe hardtail RP "Blackie" KP Signature (Thank You! Bob & Ken)
2FlyBob (Thanks Paul!)

jamrcat
Butte, Montana
"A Fly for each hand!"