Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Blues, Shred or What?  (Read 6204 times)

Offline mountaindewaddict

Blues, Shred or What?
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2007, 10:09:43 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by bno

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNmAU6XbfpI

Cool Stuff!  Thanks!  

MountainDewAddict (Casey)

Gear:
Parker P-44, Ibanez GAX 70, Takamine G-Series,  Digitech GNX4, Yamaha Magicstomp, Crate Powerblock 150, Various other assorted pedals and gizmos

"Remember, if at first you don't succeed, you're doing it wrong."

God Bless!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 10:09:59 AM by mountaindewaddict »
Casey

Gear: Parker Fly Deluxe, Parker PDF60, Way Huge, Digitech / Hardwire, Line 6, Source Audio,T-Rex, and TC Electronic Pedals, Egnater amps, other stuff... God Bless!

Blues, Shred or What?

Offline mountaindewaddict

Blues, Shred or What?
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2007, 10:17:12 AM »
quote:
Satriani and Vai are shredders but clearly are driven by the right forces. Andy Timmons,Dave Martone and your countryman Guthrie Govan are all guys you should spend time listening to. Paul Gilbert and John Petrucci(I'm gonna get blackballed here) are more your typical in your face note bashers.

Simon, I generally agree, though I prefer Satriani to Vai.  I guess I need to check out Timmons, Marton, and Govan.  Seven or Eight years ago, I though Petrucci was the man... now, not so much.  I see your point - speed for speed's sake (just like slow for slow's sake) can get really tired really fast.  But speed with feeling (or especially slow with feeling) can be really moving.  As far as speed goes, my favorite is Blues Saraceno.  You all need to check him out on You Tube.  He's a "shredder" but he plays with lots more feel.  As far as slow goes, Phil Keaggy can put more emotion into one or two notes than anyone else I've ever heard.  Wishing you all good listening...

MountainDewAddict (Casey)

Gear:
Parker P-44, Ibanez GAX 70, Takamine G-Series,  Digitech GNX4, Yamaha Magicstomp, Crate Powerblock 150, Various other assorted pedals and gizmos

"Remember, if at first you don't succeed, you're doing it wrong."

God Bless!
Casey

Gear: Parker Fly Deluxe, Parker PDF60, Way Huge, Digitech / Hardwire, Line 6, Source Audio,T-Rex, and TC Electronic Pedals, Egnater amps, other stuff... God Bless!

Blues, Shred or What?

Offline JSanta

Blues, Shred or What?
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2007, 02:28:16 PM »
I think that's why I love Gary Moore so much; is has lightening fast speed, but can bring a grown man to his knees.  I was listening to a live version of "All Your Love" last night and he just blows my mind.  I ordered his new CD so I can't wait to get it.  Blues is one of those things, like shred, that can be all or nothing depending on the approach.  I think that they are very similar in that respect.

/jim

Blues, Shred or What?

Offline BrainWorm

Blues, Shred or What?
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2007, 01:36:32 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TKQcWEXSKU

I like Donna Summer and the way she phrases, I'd like to get some of that phrasing in my guitar playing. Good song writing too. Doombilly can hear how the bass is mixed or played on higher neck position on "Love To Love You Baby" so it's not covered up by the kick drum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndUWo05U0Ao

"Brainverms come crawling and creeping and eat you when you're sleeping."
"Brainverms come crawling and creeping and eat you when you're sleeping."

Blues, Shred or What?

Offline prjacobs

Blues, Shred or What?
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2007, 06:27:20 AM »
I'm a big Guthrie Govan fan these days.  I must admit I haven't listened to that much Satriani but the few things, (actually 3 songs), I saw on youtube were more hard rock based than Guthrie Govan, who plays cleaner, draws from a deeper musical well, and, in what I saw, has much better chops.  I also thought that Satriani's rock star posing was stupid, self indulgent and very 1980s.

Blues, Shred or What?

Offline JSanta

Blues, Shred or What?
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2007, 08:48:20 AM »
Guthrie is a true master.  His album reflects his grasp on the instrument beyond anything lost of us could ever wish to achieve.  Going from a song like "Wonderful Slippery Thing" to "Rhode Island Shred" in one album?  The only other name that comes to mind that could even think to do that now would be Ron Thal (Bumblefoot).

/jim

Blues, Shred or What?

Offline simonlock

Blues, Shred or What?
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2007, 09:05:57 AM »
Don't be fooled Jim. I'm sure there are plenty of guys out there that are just as capable but yet silent in the public eye. Ron Thal is amazing but his stuff hasn't done much for me in the past. I read somewhere that the two of them send each other crazy riffs to challenge each other to master. They've been friends for years.I tried to get a lesson set up with Guthrie before I left for England but my connection was unable to contact him :(

Simon
Vancouver,BC

Blues, Shred or What?

Offline JSanta

Blues, Shred or What?
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2007, 12:49:24 PM »
I know what you mean Simon, there is always someone better.  But for the past few years, Guthrie has been that guy.

/jim

Blues, Shred or What?

Offline prjacobs

Blues, Shred or What?
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2007, 10:16:16 PM »
quote:

Don't be fooled Jim. I'm sure there are plenty of guys out there that are just as capable but yet silent in the public eye.

I think "plenty" is a bit optimistic.  It's true that everyone comes out of nowhere to make it, but really great guitarists don't grow on trees .  
If there's another Guthrie Govan out there, I hope he or she shows their face soon[:)]
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 10:19:23 PM by prjacobs »

Blues, Shred or What?

Offline simonlock

Blues, Shred or What?
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2007, 10:19:16 PM »
Ok maybe it sounded like I was minimizing Guthrie's playing but eau contrare I think he's one of the finest there must be out there. Thing is, there are a lot of different stlyes and a lot of unknowns out there still. Some just don't want to be known at all.

Simon
Vancouver,BC
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 10:47:44 PM by simonlock »

Blues, Shred or What?

Offline David Tomkins

• Advanced Member
Blues, Shred or What?
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2007, 02:59:17 AM »
*****CLICHE ALERT****

"XXXXXX" guitarist puts more feeling into one note than the shredders do with one million notes.
2005 Green Quilted Maple Custom Mojo signed by Steve Vai, 2006 Parker Fly T-Shirt, 2006 Parker Fly Baseball Cap.  A triple-whammy of Parker goodness!!

Blues, Shred or What?

Offline David Tomkins

• Advanced Member
Blues, Shred or What?
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2007, 03:08:42 AM »
right, now we've got that cliche done, here's my 2 cents:

A lot of classical music, when transferred to guitar comes across as shredding.  Would you call Handel's Arrival of the Queen of Sheba shredding?  It's hard to play !!  Paganini?  Bach's 'Badinerie'?  probably not.  Next time you see an orchestra on tv, watch the violinists' fingers.  You may be surprised.  It is fast and tasteful , and often played with feeeling.  If you think people like Vai don't play with feeling, you've never seen him in concert.

SOOOOO many people just dismiss anything over 130bpm as shredding.  I'll not bother trying to work out why.  

To me, blues is uninspired, repetitive in terms of song structures and tired/worn out.  People like it because it provides an easy safety net for their playing.  stay in the pentatonic, close your eyes and relax, you won't play any bum notes.  Nice and easy.  play fast if you want to, but don't let it be called shredding.  call it 'exciting' or 'energetic' playing.  A lot of blues is as much of a sleepwalk as the mindless shredders.

i prefer my music to be a bit more original and challenging.  not to Jazz extremes of being different just for the sake of it, but just a "play me something i have not heard before" kind of way.

Blues and SHred are both bad.  Temper each with some thought and creativity and then you are on to something.  Right, i'm off to listen to a Joe Bonnamassa CD someone has lent me.

Flame away!!!

2005 Green Quilted Maple Custom Mojo, 2006 Parker Fly T-Shirt, 2006 Parker Fly Baseball Cap.  A triple-whammy of Parker goodness!!
2005 Green Quilted Maple Custom Mojo signed by Steve Vai, 2006 Parker Fly T-Shirt, 2006 Parker Fly Baseball Cap.  A triple-whammy of Parker goodness!!

Blues, Shred or What?

Offline Eruption

Blues, Shred or What?
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2007, 04:34:43 AM »
I agree with David Tomkins.Blues is repetitive and is a bit stale.Likewise,I may shred but everybody I hear seemingly sounds so simlar.

2007 Parker Fly Deluxe
2001 Yamaha DG60
No cool quotes now...
'07 Fly Deluxe- Dusty Black
'10 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Plus
'11 Suhr Modern Custom (ON ORDER)
'10 Mesa/Boogie Mark V head
'00s Randall MTS 2x12
TC Electronic Flashback Delay/ISP Decimator
...and some strange beautiful secrets...

Blues, Shred or What?

Offline Eruption

Blues, Shred or What?
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2007, 04:36:30 AM »
Here is one for the Blues fans and teh shredders!http://youtube.com/watch?v=bsMpHHSLSlc

2007 Parker Fly Deluxe
2001 Yamaha DG60
No cool quotes now...
'00s Randall MTS 2x12

Blues, Shred or What?

Offline Eruption

Blues, Shred or What?
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2007, 04:37:31 AM »
Check the techinque he uses at 0:10!

2007 Parker Fly Deluxe
2001 Yamaha DG60
No cool quotes now...
'00s Randall MTS 2x12