Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Blues, Shred or What?  (Read 6195 times)

Offline simonlock

Blues, Shred or What?
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2007, 08:20:55 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Eruption

Here is one for the Blues fans and teh shredders!http://youtube.com/watch?v=bsMpHHSLSlc

Ugghh. Sure it's old so it's like he's a caveman right? Compare it to Django and his 2 fingers.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=MSmnEGCtQKI

Simon
Vancouver,BC
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 08:27:01 AM by simonlock »

Blues, Shred or What?

Offline prjacobs

Blues, Shred or What?
« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2007, 09:27:08 AM »
Thank goodness for youtube.  I wish there was more Django Reinhardt to watch.  
Moving on, I think that finger tapping has created so many new possibilities for guitar technique.  David, you mention classical violin above; I feel the violin is much more suited to fast multi octave arpeggio and scale playing than the guitar.  It's smaller neck, greater range, capability of sustaining notes much longer without any electronic overdrive or enhancement, and, if you'll pardon me, built in e-bow, allow the left hand to go nuts and permit much greater articulation than a guitar.  So while tapping can and often does becomes slop, it has redefined the potential of the guitar.  I guess by definition it has to be overdriven to facilitate it's execution.  For me, and this is just for me personally, I find that most shredders have so little knowledge of music that they can become boring.  Again, getting back to Guthrie Govan, I don't consider him a shredder.  If he was playing sax we wouldn't call him that.  Fast doesn't equal shredding to me. Finally, in the shred vs. blues category, I really like both.  If I listen to any type of music exclusively to too long, I have to switch and refresh my ears and brain.

Blues, Shred or What?

Offline David Tomkins

• Advanced Member
Blues, Shred or What?
« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2007, 01:41:46 AM »
i'd agree with pretty much everything you have said there.  If it is new and interesting, it's good.  are you 'playing in the genre' or are you really listening to the notes.  that's what makes the difference.

2005 Green Quilted Maple Custom Mojo, 2006 Parker Fly T-Shirt, 2006 Parker Fly Baseball Cap.  A triple-whammy of Parker goodness!!
2005 Green Quilted Maple Custom Mojo signed by Steve Vai, 2006 Parker Fly T-Shirt, 2006 Parker Fly Baseball Cap.  A triple-whammy of Parker goodness!!

Blues, Shred or What?

Offline Yoyo

Blues, Shred or What?
« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2007, 03:43:07 AM »
I'm not sure the classical music comparison really works here. Last summer I listened to a violin concerto by Paganini and although it was a technical tour de force it contained sadness, strength of character, coquettishness, flippancy and even humour. Paganini might be described as the original shredder, but breadth of expression was part of the equation. I'm afraid the message I get from our guitarist shredders is simply "look how well I can play the guitar". I'm not knocking the ability to play the guitar fast, that is a requisite of breadth of expression. I love to hear a guitarist start a long phrase at a slow or moderate rate and accelerate to light speed and then back out again. I tend to like jazz guitarists who play with extraordinary technique, but cover all the emotional bases.
The only thing that exists is this moment now.

Blues, Shred or What?

Offline loumt123

Blues, Shred or What?
« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2007, 06:56:31 AM »
Try and decipher these lines, shred heads [8D]

http://youtube.com/watch?v=MAMD58Rqh94

...and he sounds that good with a CLEAN tone. Hmm..I think some shredders forget there are channels aside from "Cheesy Veil of Distortion" [;)]

At the end of this video is his take on a blues solo....that really isn't what you would consider "stale old blues". Enjoy. http://youtube.com/watch?v=WH8EbI89xgE  (the punctuation at the end of his lines in this example are awesome)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 07:03:10 AM by loumt123 »

Blues, Shred or What?

Offline simonlock

Blues, Shred or What?
« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2007, 08:07:45 AM »
Lou that was distorted though??? He's got a part of his signal somewhat clean but the other part is as dirty as it gets. He's an amazing player.

Simon
Vancouver,BC

Blues, Shred or What?

Offline loumt123

Blues, Shred or What?
« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2007, 09:33:22 AM »
One clip is distorted, one is clean; shows he doesn't need to hide behind distortion and effects to sound good.

Blues, Shred or What?

Offline prjacobs

Blues, Shred or What?
« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2007, 10:24:46 PM »
Yoyo, I agree with you about the comparison to classical music.  I've seen Steve Vai play live and while his feel and chops are amazing, he's not even remotely in the same league as a great classical violinist or pianist.  However, if Steve Vai had studied classical violin instead of guitar, maybe he'd be playing some mean Paganini.  I think it's interesting that whenever anyone tries to support a great player or style, they always hold it up to the classical standard.  I don't think that shredding or any other style has to apologize for itself.  The guitar, in it's current incarnation, is a very young instrument and perhaps in a few hundred years it will completely transform itself.  It took that long to get from Gregorian chants to Rachmaninoff.
Music is about stirring our hearts and souls, and ultimately not about technique or brain power.  Some might say that classical music is not connected to your body the way other music is.  Just please, keep any Andrew Lloyd Weber music away from my ears; he's such a hack... And keep twanging those Parkers...

Blues, Shred or What?

Offline David Tomkins

• Advanced Member
Blues, Shred or What?
« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2007, 02:13:07 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Yoyo

it was a technical tour de force [and] it contained sadness, strength of character, coquettishness, flippancy and even humour.

that's the point i'm trying to make. (you made it better!) but play it on guitar and many would just dismiss it as shredding before you even get to bar 8.  that's what frustrates me.
many guitarists ('shredders') don't make the link to the emotions that other great composers did/do

Vai DOES do mindless shredding, but listen to whispering a prayer, hand on heart, the audience is listening, warm regards, windows to the soul  etc and you will hear someone who can infuse it with feeling too.  i'm sure paganini had his 'off' days in terms of composition, too!  Time/history has a habit of filtering out the crud so that only the best tunes survive to the current day

2005 Green Quilted Maple Custom Mojo, 2006 Parker Fly T-Shirt, 2006 Parker Fly Baseball Cap.  A triple-whammy of Parker goodness!!
2005 Green Quilted Maple Custom Mojo signed by Steve Vai, 2006 Parker Fly T-Shirt, 2006 Parker Fly Baseball Cap.  A triple-whammy of Parker goodness!!

Blues, Shred or What?

Offline David Tomkins

• Advanced Member
Blues, Shred or What?
« Reply #54 on: November 07, 2007, 02:14:09 AM »
i like the music in the blues brothers film.  is that blues or R'N'B?  (and i don't mean bouncy knowles/destiny's child rnb)