Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ny good sites on progressive rock  (Read 3875 times)

Offline ckyvick

Ny good sites on progressive rock
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2008, 03:50:54 PM »
all im trying to say is changeing the key, knowing modes, and haveing odd key signatures(frank zappa) doesnt make it a new genera of music,to me anyway, the music still sounds like its from the 80s, or whenever not like montley crue or poison,my point is that the music just sounds so dated.  for this reason buckethead is one of the few guitarists ill listen to because he doesnt have a genera and he doesnt sound dated like vai satriani and malmsteen, guess ill never like progressive

Offline uburoibob

• Bob Martin 11:11
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2008, 05:30:08 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by ckyvick

all im trying to say is changeing the key, knowing modes, and haveing odd key signatures(frank zappa) doesnt make it a new genera of music,to me anyway, the music still sounds like its from the 80s, or whenever not like montley crue or poison,my point is that the music just sounds so dated.  for this reason buckethead is one of the few guitarists ill listen to because he doesnt have a genera and he doesnt sound dated like vai satriani and malmsteen, guess ill never like progressive

Progressive at the time was about pushing the musical boundaries - key, time sig, etc. I can't really find anything musical in Buckethead. It may not sound dated cuz it really doesn't sound like anything. It's OK to not like stuff. Just kinda weird to criticize when you don't really know enough about something to take it to task. A simple "not my cup of tea" or "I just don't get it" would be good.

Bob

2001 Parker Fly Single 2 Silver  â€¢ 1997 Parker Fly Concert Burnt Butterscotch  â€¢  1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch  â€¢  1998 Fly Classic in Transparent Dark Blue  â€¢  1998 Fly Classic in Cherry Red with DiBurro Roland Mod •  http://bobmartin1111.com
1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch -   2000 Fly Standard Classic in Cherry Red - http://bobmartin1111.com

Offline JSanta

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2008, 11:53:45 PM »
You said it better than I did Bob, so I appreciate it.  And as far as GENRES are concerned, I would still take a listen to some of those bands on that list, you never know what you'll hear.  

/jim

Miss Wormwood:  What State do you live in?
Calvin: Denial.
Miss Wormwood: I don't suppose I can argue with that...

Offline ckyvick

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2008, 11:07:35 PM »
electric tears, colma, population override, shin E light years. musical buckethead....

Offline loumt123

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2008, 11:24:50 PM »
Jazz was progressive music before "progressive" was even self proclaimed. Jazz infused with Rock is fusion guitar...it's why Greg Howe is more interesting to listen to, imo, than some other shredders.

Offline JSanta

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2008, 09:56:37 AM »
Greg Howe, Guthrie Govan, the list goes on and on.  While I agree that jazz was "progressive" I wouldn't call it progressive music.  Jazz is like the mellower version of Prog-Rock/Metal, and you can hear a lot of jazz influences in bands like Dillinger Escape Plan (I always tell people they are angry jazz musicians when I have to classify them).  Buckethead is very good, especially in his days with Thanatopsis.  

/jim

Offline bembamboo

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2008, 07:17:49 PM »
Although I'm more blue than progressive, and Rush seemed not my taste, Crimson's "Starless and Bible Black" and Mahavisnu Orchestra could kill me back then.  Am looking for origionality.

Offline JSanta

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2008, 09:32:25 PM »
The best things about bands like that is that they are still relevant today.  Most Prog guys I know are always digging back into the history files to see what inspired guys like Petrucci, and learn form the masters of the 70s.

/jim