Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Oh Heck Yeah, Whoa Now  (Read 1551 times)

Offline Strandwolf

• http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577969013
Oh Heck Yeah, Whoa Now
« on: November 05, 2007, 10:45:00 PM »
I watched a couple of video guitar lessons on Harmony Central.

What they were was something like "5 Pentatonic Scales".

Some earnest young chap starts out by working the A minor scale at the 5th position, and then goes down and up the neck some, and then throws in some more notes and like that.

And I'm thinking, what is this...where's the MUSIC? What does this have to do with a song melody or improvising off a chord? I've been noodling a bit on the guitar fretboard for a handful of decades, and the scale thing is just soul numbing.  "Ooh My Soul!"--Little Richard.

Wonder if he plays scales...not likely.

Anyway, courtesy of a little tip generated by e Simms, I ran into this:

http://www.robertconti.com/

And the first thing he says is that he's been teaching guitar for 40 years and is dead set AGAINST the scale and modal way of music instruction, including for jazz guitar, which the guy can play--see my post under the favorite guitarist thread for Robert Conti, started by Eli. Atta Way!
Conti has put out like 20 or more instructional DVDs. This guy's stuff might be my little gateway into the realm of musicianship after lo these many moons.
Check it out. I'm definitely gonna get into his site.
Parkers: Pick, cap, T-shirt, clock, and other assorted accouterments

Oh Heck Yeah, Whoa Now

Offline David Tomkins

• Advanced Member
Oh Heck Yeah, Whoa Now
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 01:59:18 AM »
Robert Conti has a 'soul computer' in his hand and motors in each finger.  that's the only way i ccan think of to explain such talented playing.

2005 Green Quilted Maple Custom Mojo, 2006 Parker Fly T-Shirt, 2006 Parker Fly Baseball Cap.  A triple-whammy of Parker goodness!!
2005 Green Quilted Maple Custom Mojo signed by Steve Vai, 2006 Parker Fly T-Shirt, 2006 Parker Fly Baseball Cap.  A triple-whammy of Parker goodness!!

Oh Heck Yeah, Whoa Now

Offline Yoyo

Oh Heck Yeah, Whoa Now
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 06:48:42 AM »
Wow!
The only thing that exists is this moment now.