Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Parker Marketing and Advertisement  (Read 5516 times)

Offline loumt123

Parker Marketing and Advertisement
« on: November 16, 2007, 04:51:39 AM »
Rather than congest the general discussion forum, I figured this would be a better place to let Parker know what WE think should be done in regards to marketing, advertisement, and alteration of various lines under the "Parker" brand name. Post what you think should be done, what you would like to see, etc.

My own personal views:

1. More emphasis on the US line. The Fly should be marketed as the "Ferrari" or "Lamborghini" of the guitar world, reason being that people who want traditional guitars will buy traditional guitars, not a new take on one. The Fly needs to shoot for a specific demographic. Also, again, fix the switches! You can't sell a top of the line, state of the art guitar with unworthy components! (Take a lesson from PRS...make a statement with quality FIRST..make a name for Parker Guitars)

2. More promotion! A classy ad here or there ( We could try making a nice ad as a forum and maybe they will consider using it), some user generated content (sound clips, videos, demos, a user created windows media video that has pictures of people playing parker and a logo at the end and you can stick it on youtube, anything), a couple pictures of the merchandise from different angles (We will do that for FREE!), and better use of assets... You have some big, popular artists playing your guitars..they aren't even listed in the artist section of the site! As far as I know, they play the guitars simply because they want to. Get in touch with them...it shouldn't cost anything for the artists to give an opinion of the guitar they willingly play!

3. Also, the Parker myspace page could have great potential. Right now it's good, but it could be great. Some good templates, better pictures (if it's ok, we could use some of the great pics posted on the forum...Rick Nielsen's guitar, Joe Walsh, etc) , and we could have a winner. Rather than feature Reeves, who to my knowledge, no longer plays Parker Guitars, we could get in touch with the POPULAR artists myspace pages who do (whoever is running it if you want I can send some artists your way..let's work something out). If you can trust me enough with the password to the myspace, I can message them myself and ask if we can put them on our top, and if they will put Parker on their top. With bands that have upward of 50 thousand friends, a free spot like that can't do any harm.

With a little bit of effort on everyones part, we could gain a bit of ground

« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 05:14:33 AM by loumt123 »

Offline Eruption

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 05:31:14 AM »
+1000!!!!Please Parker?At least the ads?

2007 Parker Fly Deluxe
Several Other Guitars
2007 Peavey Valveking
2001 Yamaha DG60
No cool quotes now...
'07 Fly Deluxe- Dusty Black
'10 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Plus
'11 Suhr Modern Custom (ON ORDER)
'10 Mesa/Boogie Mark V head
'00s Randall MTS 2x12
TC Electronic Flashback Delay/ISP Decimator
...and some strange beautiful secrets...

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 06:52:59 AM »
Great points , Lou, and I think everyone on the forum would agree that past marketing has been dismal and future success hinges on whether it improves.

But if you don't get much responce here, don't take it personally.

We have talked about this Ad nausium (all puns intended).
We have given specific ad ideas and whole strategic ad campaigns and bussiness plans(more money spent in marketing).

Not only does it fall on deaf ears but as you know, no one with any say ever monitors this forum anyway.

Why would any bussiness not want to listen to their customers? Some spend lots of money on focus groups for their products. We have given them that for free.

We (Parker Fly's) evidently are not enough of a percentage point in this huge company's bussiness plan to warrant that attention [:(]

If we were, believe you me, we wouldn't have to be having this discussion.[;)]

Custom '03 Hardtail MoJarzio(Mojo with stock Dimarzio's); Custom '03 Hardtail Artist;Custom '98 Artist w Duncans;Ruby Red Fly Deluxe 2000; Gorgeous Gibson ES137(4sale); 1974 K.Yari DY85; SchecterDisposable; Martin Backpacker/paddle combo;VoxAD30VT;SWR California Blonde
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 06:59:23 AM by Bill »
A few Flys in my soup

Offline David Tomkins

• Advanced Member
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 07:59:55 AM »
spot on Bill.  That was what was (and is) so good about John Page - he actually listened to us!  Perhaps they would argue that we are not the best focus grup as we already have a fly.  they need to market to non-fly players.

The product will speak for itself IF people know about it and can try it.  simple as.
who needs harvard business school?

2005 Green Quilted Maple Custom Mojo, 2006 Parker Fly T-Shirt, 2006 Parker Fly Baseball Cap.  A triple-whammy of Parker goodness!!
2005 Green Quilted Maple Custom Mojo signed by Steve Vai, 2006 Parker Fly T-Shirt, 2006 Parker Fly Baseball Cap.  A triple-whammy of Parker goodness!!

Offline simonlock

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 08:16:31 AM »
I bought the Brad Paisley Guitar Player magazine last night and saw an ad for the P10e acoustic. I was turned right off. I"m also turned off by all the other ads they've run. The crossroads gimmick, the 50s dance athon. Lame. I've played the acoustic and the P-series and no offense to people that own them but I'd much rather play an Ibanez if Ihave to play a contemporary guitar. I'm sure others would have their preferance also. I'm buying all the old Parkers because as the new ones become worth less and less the REAL ones with be worth more and more. They cut corners and remove features until there is nothing left worth playing. Acoustics,lame. Jazz box,lame also. IMHO

If you're going to make an offshore Parker make the Nitefly parts with Godin and ship it out to have it assembled like the Mexican Strat.

Simon
Vancouver,BC
2000 Supreme* 1998 Supreme w/Jerome Little knobs* 1999 Artist w/Ken Parker sig and Jerome Little knobs*1999 Artist w/SDs * 2006 Nylon* 2006 Classic* 2006 Cherry Mojo* Majik Blue Deluxe*2002 Hardtail Classic* MidiFly

Offline loumt123

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 02:06:13 PM »
Agreed.

However, let's look at it this way. The parker myspace get's what seems to be a decent amount of traffic without any promotion. It looks nice, but it's not really professionally done; it has much more potential. If we could overhaul it a bit, get some artists that use them to put a parker on their top, stick some pictures of big artists in there, the page could grow, and the understand of the product could grow. Doing things like this is free..it certainly can't harm the company. Some people might actually want to see what the guitar looks like from a way other than the front, too [:D]. Put up pics of the rick nielson fly; check out the view from the side of the fretboard; the attention to detail of the frets, the neck, etc.

I'd really like to see the fly get the attention it deserves, and I know it's really not that hard. No one cares about what would have happened if some guy in the 50s had a parker acoustic. Paint the fly as a "supercar" of the guitar world. Parker also has a custom shop that one could say is INCREDIBLY affordable. If only more people knew..I think the potential is enormous.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 02:08:37 PM by loumt123 »

Offline JSanta

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007, 05:35:05 PM »
You are absolutley right Lou, in everything that you've said.  However, I don't think that USM really cares what Parker players think.  This is evident in what Jamie posted a few days back.  The Fly is an incredible guitar, and until it reaches Les Paul or Strat popularity levels (or at least becomes a "household" name) there needs to be some major overhaul in what USM is doing.  If they actually go through with some of these changes, there won't be an American Fly for much longer...

/jim

Offline Strandwolf

• http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577969013
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2007, 06:51:28 PM »

Apres moi, c'est le deluge.
Parkers: Pick, cap, T-shirt, clock, and other assorted accouterments

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2007, 11:13:12 PM »
I think he means, "après moi, le déluge"

A french saying,
"after us, the flood"; that is, things will be disastrous after we have gone (or died). Attributed to Madame de Pompadour, mistress of Louis XV of France

Custom '03 Hardtail MoJarzio(Mojo with stock Dimarzio's); Custom '03 Hardtail Artist;Custom '98 Artist w Duncans;Ruby Red Fly Deluxe 2000; Gorgeous Gibson ES137(4sale); 1974 K.Yari DY85; SchecterDisposable; Martin Backpacker/paddle combo;VoxAD30VT;SWR California Blonde
A few Flys in my soup

Offline jazzrat

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2007, 07:20:48 AM »
I just got a NiteFly Alder. What a killer guitar. Smashes any stat I've ever owned.
There were a couple press releases but that's it. They were obviously after a particular slice of the market with a passive, alder body, maple neck guitar but I've not seen any ads or for that matters support materials. Kinda sad, but a very nice guitar could very well fail for lack of promotion.

'02 Fly Classic Hardtail,'07 NiteFly Alder, Ibanez AS80, Eastman 805 CE Archtop,  MIM jazz bass, Takemine '95 SC-132EC
Fly Classic, Ibanez AS-193, Eric Johnson Strat, Eastman AR403-CE, Cordoba Fusion 12 Maple, Fretless Jazz Bass

Offline cy2989

• http://chrisyoungportraits.com
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2007, 07:50:12 AM »
The Fly is a guitar struggling to find a place in the market.  It's a VERY difficult instrument to make by today's standards when most electric guitars are made mostly by machines.  There is a lot of hand work requiring great training and expertise.  One mistake and the whole guitar is junk and needs to be thrown away.  There is far more profit for US Music in the P series or the Washburn guitars.  You must give Rudy a lot of credit that he believes in the Fly enough to bother building it.  It's not his bread and butter believe me!

They really need a very different ad campaign to make people understand why this guitar is different and why it should sell for $5K+.  As ken said "it's a $10k guitar that sells for $3k." My fear is that at some point it will become more trouble than it is worth and the guitar will no longer be built. That would be a shame.

Offline cy2989

• http://chrisyoungportraits.com
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2007, 07:51:58 AM »
Bill,

Now I know where to go for help with my French!

Offline JPage

• http://www.parkerguitars.com
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2007, 08:09:50 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by David Tomkins

spot on Bill.  That was what was (and is) so good about John Page - he actually listened to us!  

Wow - thank you!  I am sitting here having my morning coffee and I stumbled on this...what a great way to start the day.  Going back to before USM, Parker hired a marketing firm to do some research and analysis.  I was out in the field doing the same with the retailers, Parker owners, instructers, etc.  I will never forget the things they told me...that I learned.  Yes - there is a very specific demographic that is attracted to Parker.  This forum probably makes up a very small sample of that demographic so it's worthwhile listening to but...

You know, there is so much more to selling Parker than just running out new models, colors, features (which are all good things if done properly), etc.  There's way to much involved to type here this morning and I am too busy anyway - today.  However, here's some insight: there is a set of 12 expectations that dealers have from a manufacturer.  If you are not meeting most of those expectations, you cannot experience success to the level that wish.  One example of a retailer's expectation is that a manufacturer drive biz to the retailer.  Does anyone believe that is happening at the moment?  Do you think the retailers are reading this forum and thinking "Awesome, USM has Jamie posting all about the new models on the forum and asking them to call me!  Sweet!!!"

Enough of that....thanks again for your very kind words!

Peace out,

John

PS - another expectation from the retailers is honesty....

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2007, 08:31:09 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by cy2989

Bill,

Now I know where to go for help with my French!

Sorry, I wouldn't pretend to know French. I can barely speak English, and I sure can't spell it.

I'm a self taught ignoramus, but, I can Google up a storm ! [:D]

A few Flys in my soup

Offline jamrcat

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2007, 01:07:18 PM »
quote:
I'm a self taught ignoramus,

I've very impressed, in spite of all my efforts I haven't reached the level of being an "ignoramus" little-lone being self taught! I think there is an internet school though offering a degree in ignoramus's! Maybe with that degree I could be a CEO or something! Worth some thought! [:D]

98' Fly Artist w/RMC (Thanks Dayn!)
93' Parker Fly Deluxe hardtail RP "Blackie" KP Signature (Thank You! Bob & Ken)
2FlyBob (Thanks Paul!)

jamrcat
Butte, Montana
"A Fly for each hand!"