Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tomb of the Unknown Soldier  (Read 2655 times)

Offline JSanta

Tomb of the Unknown Soldier
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2007, 06:36:32 AM »
Thank you so much for posting this David.  I was working yesterday and I couldn't for the life of me figure out why there was so many people there too watch us.  The weather was horrendous,  I have never felt wind like that before... Anyways it wasn't until after the cemetary closed that I finally asked why there had been so many people there, and my boss simply said they were there to visit family, and to make sure that we were there to take care of them when they couldn't be there.  Sure, I protect a cemetary, but more importantly I protect the idealism of freedom and any cost.

It was actually the best Thanksgiving I have had in years, people brought us turkey and all the sides, more dessert than I could ever eat, and just an overall good day to pay tribute to those men and women who couldn't be here because they were doing something much more important than I.

/jim

Offline Brigadeer

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2007, 02:55:06 PM »
Jim Santa,
  I didn't know you were in the Old Guard! That's a tremendous honor to have earned. You and your compatriates do a great job of representing the rest of us in the service. I've just started my 22nd year in the Army, and I've been doing the same job for 18 years of it. The Old Guard is something many people aspire to, but few actually make. Next year I'll be PCS'ing from Germany and probably do "one more" accompanied tour in Korea before retirement. Again thanks for what you do, and keep up the great work.

-Vernon
-Vern
Epiphone Emperor II
Fender Mex Fat-Strat
Fender DG14S Acoustic
Nitefly Mojo

Offline JSanta

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2007, 01:10:36 PM »
I appreciate the comment Vernon, or should I say sir?  I am very proud to be here even though I really feel like I am not doing my job as an infantryman most days.  At least I can say that I am doing something that people rarely get to do.  I thank you for your service, and once again, thank you for the kind words!

/jim