Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Interesting pickup arrangement  (Read 2166 times)

Offline 908ssp

Interesting pickup arrangement
« on: November 27, 2007, 10:50:30 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_dfZc-rQ3s&feature=related

Five single coils two switches. Can't see where that is patentable or trademarked.

I could see using Suhr's hum silencing technology he puts a large flat coil of wire on the inside of the back cover and uses single coil pickups because the coil is away from the strings it silences the hum without touching the tone, there is patent on that.

[^]

Alex

Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Offline rt0412

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 10:46:16 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by 908ssp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_dfZc-rQ3s&feature=related

Five single coils two switches. Can't see where that is patentable or trademarked.

I could see using Suhr's hum silencing technology he puts a large flat coil of wire on the inside of the back cover and uses single coil pickups because the coil is away from the strings it silences the hum without touching the tone, there is patent on that.

[^]

Alex

As for Suhr's technology, no, it's not patentable. It's the dummy coil technique. It's been done before. I did it on my Fender JazzMaster about 10 years ago (sold on eBay). Van Halen also used that trick when he was pressed for time to install a "proper humbucker" in his guitar for a demo. Gibson also used that technique with their Blueshawk guitars. DiMarzio also used the concept in a somewhat different way in their Bluesbucker pickup. The dummy coil is placed side by side with the active coil instead of being hidden away.

What PRS could be patenting is the way the 5 single coils are wired with the two switches. Possible scenario for the 513:

Up - Single coil mode (just like a Strat); every position not humbucking - even with the "in-between" position.

1. Bass outer coil (1)
2. Bass outer coil & Middle coil (2)
3. Middle coil (3)
4. Treble outer coil & Middle coil (4)
5. Treble outer coil (5)

B. Clear Humbucking

1. Bass coils in parallel (6)
2. Bass inner coil and Middle coil in parallel (7)
3. Middle coil
4. Treble inner coil & Middle coil in parallel (8)
5. Treble coils in parallel (9)

C. Heavy Humbucking

1. Bass coils in series (10)
2. Bass inner coil and Middle coil in series (11)
3. Middle coil
4. Treble inner coil and Middle coil in series (12)
5. Treble coils in series (13)

I shouldn't be hard to figure out the wiring of such an arrangement using 5 single-coil pickups and a couple of MegaSwitches (4-pole).

Could also be done with a pair of ordinary humbuckers and a middle single-coil say in an Ibanez Jem.

Rolly
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 11:28:44 AM by rt0412 »

Offline laughinglarry

• http://www.myspace.com/larrysmithmusic
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 08:54:52 PM »
Well, it IS an interesting configuration, but not what interests me the most.  (And if you want versatility, you've GOT to have a piezo on board too IMHO! [:p])

The fact that this has a narrow but deep neck profile is intriguing too.  But how about the SCALE LENGTH?  I don't believe I've ever heard of 25 1/4" before.  [8D]  So why didn't they just split the difference, and go with 25 1/8"?  (That IS half-way between 24 3/4" and 25 1/2", right?)

Larry

'97 Fly Deluxe (with GK-2A), '07 Steinberger GM-7TA, '89 Strat Plus, '89 American Standard Tele, '92 Les Paul Custom, '99 Ibanez JS-1000, Ibanez Silver Series (Strat), Epiphone Dot, '65 Mustang, Hohner G3T, Yamaha BB3000AF, Peavey Foundation, Hamer Cruisebass
http://www.myspace.com/larrysmithmusic
www.myspace.com/karmagenerator

Offline rt0412

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 10:47:14 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by laughinglarry
I don't believe I've ever heard of 25 1/4" before.  [8D]  So why didn't they just split the difference, and go with 25 1/8"?  (That IS half-way between 24 3/4" and 25 1/2", right?)

Larry

Different scale lengths generate different sets of harmonics... that's why Trevor's NiteFly Mojo Flame although using the PRS pickups doesn't exactly sound like a PRS guitar. The 25 1/2" scale gives the NiteFly less sweetness but more clarity.

I can appreciate the difference between 24 3/4" scale and 25 1/2" scale but probably wouldn't notice the difference between 25 1/4" and 25 1/2" scales. [:(] I guess most of the time, I'm not that perceptive.

Here's a site that has done a lot of analysis with regards to scale lengths: http://www.novaxguitars.com/Pages/Techarticle_frame.html

Rolly
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 11:05:56 PM by rt0412 »

Offline 908ssp

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 11:17:09 PM »
quote:
As for Suhr's technology, no, it's not patentable. It's the dummy coil technique

Are you sure? Granted a dummy coil may not be patentable but a big flat coil fasten to the trem spring cover and the electronics he includes might be.

quote:
Different scale lengths generate different sets of harmonics... that's why Trevor's NiteFly Mojo Flame although using the PRS pickups doesn't exactly sound like a PRS guitar. The 25 1/2" scale gives the NiteFly less sweetness but more clarity.

And about 100 other variables that have as big or bigger effect than scale length. Scale length is a factor but not the only factor not by a long shot.

quote:
What PRS could be patenting is the way the 5 single coils are wired with the two switches.

That's possible but plenty of ways to work around that.

Those pickups just look like they should be on a Fly.[;)]

[^]

Alex

Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Offline jamrcat

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2007, 11:50:52 PM »
quote:
Those pickups just look like they should be on a Fly.

+1 I have a feeling it will only be a matter of time! [:p]

98' Fly Artist w/RMC (Thanks Dayn!)
93' Parker Fly Deluxe hardtail RP "Blackie" KP Signature (Thank You! Bob & Ken)
2FlyBob (Thanks Paul!)

jamrcat
Butte, Montana
"A Fly for each hand!"

Offline rt0412

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 05:45:26 AM »
quote:
Are you sure? Granted a dummy coil may not be patentable but a big flat coil fasten to the trem spring cover and the electronics he includes might be.
A big flat coil is still a dummy coil even if supported by electronics. Anyway, it has already been patented but can't remember who the patent was assigned to (I'm presently unable to find the particular patent). I gather from other forums that Suhr have made an exclusive arrangement with the original inventor. I have roughly the same concept about ten years ago using a hum sensing coil and an op-amp to cancel the hum thus leaving the single-coil tone untouched. I did not pursue it since it involved using a battery to power the electronics. Have I thought that it was something patentable, even if so simple, I would have pursued it. [:(][:(!]

quote:
And about 100 other variables that have as big or bigger effect than scale length. Scale length is a factor but not the only factor not by a long shot.
100 other variables... really? And what are those 100 variables? Scale length is a big factor. The NiteFly Mojo Flame has the same materials as the PRS CE (except for the neck) and are both bolt on. The differences in the vibratos (both are floating system) I think will not contribute much to affect the sound. If the neck scale of the NiteFly Mojo Flame is 25" instead of 25 1/2", with the PRS pickups, the sound would be pretty close.

Rolly
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 06:32:27 AM by rt0412 »