Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: D'angelico Archtop Review  (Read 8073 times)

Offline uburoibob

• Bob Martin 11:11
D'angelico Archtop Review
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2007, 07:03:43 AM »
Yup. Pisano is playing an Eastman John Pisano model, oddly enough!

Bob

2001 Parker Fly Single 2 Silver  â€¢ 1997 Parker Fly Concert Burnt Butterscotch  â€¢  1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch  â€¢  1998 Fly Classic in Transparent Dark Blue  â€¢  1998 Fly Classic in Cherry Red with DiBurro Roland Mod •  http://bobmartin1111.com
1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch -   2000 Fly Standard Classic in Cherry Red - http://bobmartin1111.com

Offline Yoyo

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2007, 07:25:10 AM »
In that case 98 per cent is good enough for me.
The only thing that exists is this moment now.

Offline Strandwolf

• http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577969013
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2007, 12:40:31 PM »
How about the Cort Larry Coreyll model, a jazz box new @$900 or a bit less?
Parkers: Pick, cap, T-shirt, clock, and other assorted accouterments

Offline uburoibob

• Bob Martin 11:11
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2007, 03:13:01 PM »
I've played the Cort. It feels a few notches below the Eastmans. In roughly the same league as the D'Angelico imports.

Bob

2001 Parker Fly Single 2 Silver  â€¢ 1997 Parker Fly Concert Burnt Butterscotch  â€¢  1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch  â€¢  1998 Fly Classic in Transparent Dark Blue  â€¢  1998 Fly Classic in Cherry Red with DiBurro Roland Mod •  http://bobmartin1111.com
1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch -   2000 Fly Standard Classic in Cherry Red - http://bobmartin1111.com

Offline jazzrat

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2007, 04:01:51 PM »
We should probably make a distinction between solid carved vs. laminated jazz boxes. In the laminated category there are lots of servicable instruments out there for not too much money. Many, like the Cort, D'Angelico, Samick, Epiphone and others are made to spec by a couple Korean factories so the quality level will generally be comparable.
If you are interested in carved, solid wood then the ranks of affordable guitars thin out.
As Bob says Eastman will get you very close to the small shop custom builders for decent money. I'd have an Anderson if I had the scratch but I don't so I play an Eastman 805CE. It is a terrific guitar. I like the Heritages also and recently had a 575 Custom, however the Eastman is a superior instrument.

As far as Ted Greene goes, he did use a Telecaster a lot but he also played Guild and occasionally Gibson archtops.
I love Ed Bickert's tone and he is a Tele guy. It does work but it is not moving air or adding that percussive thump you get from an archtop.

I think the context in which you are using the guitar is important too. I love a full acoustic archtop in a small duo or quartet format but once you add drums and crowd noise I'd rather use my Parker(in spite of the weird looks from my snobby jazz friends).

'02 Fly Classic Hardtail,'07 NiteFly Alder, Ibanez AS80, Eastman 805 CE Archtop,  MIM jazz bass, Takemine '95 SC-132EC
Fly Classic, Ibanez AS-193, Eric Johnson Strat, Eastman AR403-CE, Cordoba Fusion 12 Maple, Fretless Jazz Bass

Offline loumt123

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2007, 05:23:06 PM »
Hollowbodies can be tough to use live...I had a problem with feedback at one point in time. I've used my parker and Eastman live...both have their disadvantages and advantages. However, when I hammered out all the issues, I gotta say a hollowbody just sounds right chuggin' rhythm behind a big band. If I'm playing jazz it's gotta be on my hollowbody. Plus, it just feels right [;)]

Offline davecan

• http://www.candidsounds.com
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2007, 06:13:50 AM »
I used to have a pretty nice Centura made by some dude named D'Aquisto, but when I went away to college my mom sold it in a garage sale for $25. [:(]

Psych.
(These guitars are currently worth about $120,000.00 and rising)

WHO'S ON FLY?
Costello: "Hey Abbot, that guitar is soooo fly, what is it?"
Abbot: "It's a Fly!"
Costello: "I know it's fly, I just told you.  But what kind of guitar is it?"
Abbot: "And I just told you - it's a Fly!"
Costello: "Here we go again!"

Southern Nitefly/Nitefly Mojo (non-stock pups).

Dave

Offline loumt123

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2007, 01:51:41 PM »
I think D'aquisto remakes them now along with the teardrop, but they can't possibly be anywhere close to what an original was like.

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2007, 02:04:02 PM »
quote:
We should probably make a distinction between solid carved vs. laminated jazz boxes.

Yeah, it's easy to blur the lines.

quote:
If you are interested in carved, solid wood then the ranks of affordable guitars thin out.

Yeah, and pretty fast, too.

quote:
Hollowbodies can be tough to use live...I had a problem with feedback at one point in time. I've used my parker and Eastman live...both have their disadvantages and advantages. However, when I hammered out all the issues, I gotta say a hollowbody just sounds right chuggin' rhythm behind a big band. If I'm playing jazz it's gotta be on my hollowbody. Plus, it just feels right  

Yeah, if you're playing loud, it'll probably start squealing. [xx(]

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams

Offline laughinglarry

• http://www.myspace.com/larrysmithmusic
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2007, 02:34:08 PM »
The Ibanez George Benson GB-10 is on my short list (like, it's the ONLY one on the list!) for affordable archtops.  If you consider roughly $1500 used to be affordable.  [:(]  GB designed the thing to NOT feedback at concert volumes.  In a funny twist, the NEWER GB-200 is much more prone to feedback.  But you get some Ebony and detail that the GB-10 lack.  (I'd rather have the performance than the bling.)

Actually, the other Ibanez Jazz boxes are the John Scofield JSM-100 (based on their old Artist) and the Pat Metheny PM-100 and 120.  I've never played an Eastman, and I've only heard wonderful things about them.  But it's GOT to say something that 3 of my favorite jazz guitarists have Ibanez signature series guitars...

If money were not a concern and I could spend $8K on a jazz box (sorry, even TYPING that brought on a spell of uncontrollable laughter [:0][xx(][V]), the Gibson L5CES is the one I'd want.  And no matter how much Les Paul bashing gets done on this forum, I've never seen an example of an L5CES that wasn't SPECTACULAR. [:p]

Larry

'97 Fly Deluxe (with GK-2A), '07 Steinberger GM-7TA, '89 Strat Plus, '89 American Standard Tele, '92 Les Paul Custom, '99 Ibanez JS-1000, Ibanez Silver Series (Strat), Epiphone Dot, '65 Mustang, Hohner G3T, Yamaha BB3000AF, Peavey Foundation, Hamer Cruisebass
http://www.myspace.com/larrysmithmusic
www.myspace.com/karmagenerator

Offline Strandwolf

• http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577969013
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2007, 02:44:12 PM »
Serviceable solid body guitars are easier to mass produce than decent hollow body ones, and solid wood carved archtops are yet again a more laborious and skilled endeavor.

The main factors are tone, playability, and appearance...and price.

All of them have their "subjective" and "objective" aspects.

Computers and robotics and other recent technology will continue to push development of a superior instrument as far as the above factors go.

The best Strad violins have been exhaustively studied for their acoustic properties. Violins today have all of their aspects except age, but can't quite get to the desired sound--so far, apparently.

Pickups...pickups/amps...amps.
These are interesting times. I wonder if it will ever reach a final point? Music did, with Elvis, Muddy, and the Beatles.  haha
What happened to that Scandinavian guy who really invented a playable air guitar?
Parkers: Pick, cap, T-shirt, clock, and other assorted accouterments

Offline jazzrat

« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2007, 03:11:04 PM »
Larry I think the GB-10 is the only carved top on your list. I had one years ago. Fine, fine guitar!
I had a PM-20 which is the less expensive Pat Metheny model. It sounded great but was so, so in the fit and finish dept.
The PM 100 and 120 are definately a cut above.
I'd love to have a Scofield,or AS-200. I currently have a 2000 AS80 Artstar which is a very fine guitar and IMHO better than the current crop of ArtCore guitars though they are a decent value. I sold two ES-335's this year. Both were less guitar than the Ibanez.
The AF-120 Artstar can be found for not too much money and would be on my short list if i was looking for a used budget archtop. The Super 58 pickups in the Artstar line make them a standout among a lot of guitars in the same range.

FWIW I agree on the L5. It's on the list guitars I would like to have.

'02 Fly Classic Hardtail,'07 NiteFly Alder, Ibanez AS80, Eastman 805 CE Archtop,  MIM jazz bass, Takemine '95 SC-132EC
Fly Classic, Ibanez AS-193, Eric Johnson Strat, Eastman AR403-CE, Cordoba Fusion 12 Maple, Fretless Jazz Bass

Offline texasguy

« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2007, 03:14:31 PM »
Dave---I've been feeling sorry for myself all these years for selling an excellent pre-war D-18 for $1200 30 years ago. After reading about your D'Aquisto, I suddenly feel a little better.[:0]
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 03:19:00 PM by texasguy »

Offline laughinglarry

• http://www.myspace.com/larrysmithmusic
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2007, 03:36:15 PM »
Okay, this is somewhat off topic, but my mind works like this.  [:p]  In mentioning the Les Paul bashing and in getting agreement on the L5CES, and Strandwolf's post on robotics, I was reminded of this clip...

Pay attention to the guy that cuts necks WITHOUT A TEMPLATE and the "buffer dancer".  [:D]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzxV1_ZGj4w&NR=1

Not everything is robotic - YET!

Larry

'97 Fly Deluxe (with GK-2A), '07 Steinberger GM-7TA, '89 Strat Plus, '89 American Standard Tele, '92 Les Paul Custom, '99 Ibanez JS-1000, Ibanez Silver Series (Strat), Epiphone Dot, '65 Mustang, Hohner G3T, Yamaha BB3000AF, Peavey Foundation, Hamer Cruisebass
http://www.myspace.com/larrysmithmusic
www.myspace.com/karmagenerator

Offline jamrcat

« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2007, 03:58:12 PM »
quote:
Pay attention to the guy that cuts necks WITHOUT A TEMPLATE and the "buffer dancer".

That's pretty cool. What this video did for me was, to remind me of how unique and special my Parker really is! Thanks for sharing! [:)]

98' Fly Artist w/RMC (Thanks Dayn!)
93' Parker Fly Deluxe hardtail RP "Blackie" KP Signature (Thank You! Bob & Ken)
2FlyBob (Thanks Paul!)

jamrcat
Butte, Montana
"A Fly for each hand!"