Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Learning Block?  (Read 2105 times)

Offline loumt123

Learning Block?
« on: November 21, 2007, 10:35:46 PM »
Anyone here experience a "Learning Block"? Kind of like, you want to new aspects or concepts into your playing, but you haven't quite figured out how to assimilate it?

I'm experiencing a slight one right now; with it comes a little bit of frustration  haha [B)]

Learning Block?

Offline simonlock

Learning Block?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 10:57:55 PM »
Absolutely Lou. Especially since I am not a very typical player. What I play and what I hear aren't like what I see others doing. I don't learn or play songs anymore and all I've got left is abstractness. It can be difficult to measure where I am each day. You'll find that your perception of where you are isn't  always accurate and that either you're learning more than you think or that you've underestimated the size of hill you need to climb. Just consistently work and remember to listen.

Simon
Vancouver,BC
2000 Supreme* 1998 Supreme w/Jerome Little knobs* 1999 Artist w/Ken Parker sig and Jerome Little knobs*1999 Artist w/SDs * 2006 Nylon* 2006 Classic* 2006 Cherry Mojo* Majik Blue Deluxe*2002 Hardtail Classic*2001 MidiFly

Learning Block?

Offline Strandwolf

• http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577969013
Learning Block?
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 11:10:55 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by cmpkllyrslf96

Anyone here experience a "Learning Block"? Kind of like, you want to new aspects or concepts into your playing, but you haven't quite figured out how to assimilate it?

I'm experiencing a slight one right now; with it comes a little bit of frustration  haha [B)]

Exactly--a commonly reported phenomenon by folks involved with pushing their skill level. You reach a plateau and practice but don't seem to be making any advance in whatever you're trying to develop, for weeks and weeks--happens with karate, chess, you name it. The guitar players that have mentioned this in interviews that I've read, always say that there comes a "breakthrough" and that they then realize that something WAS being learned all the way along, "underground" so to speak, and that in retrospect, the "quantum leap" was the result of the ongoing study, as frustrating as the process was. Chin up, keep at it, and don't try to "get" too much than is organically optimal for you.
Relax and have yourself a ball.[;)]
Parkers: Pick, cap, T-shirt, clock, and other assorted accouterments

Learning Block?

Offline Bill

• What is this ?
Learning Block?
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2007, 07:34:08 AM »
I think I hit "learning block" right after kindergarden. [:0]

Ya mean it wears off [?] [:p]

Custom '03 Hardtail MoJarzio(Mojo with stock Dimarzio's); Custom '03 Hardtail Artist;Custom '98 Artist w Duncans;Ruby Red Fly Deluxe 2000; Gorgeous Gibson ES137(4sale); 1974 K.Yari DY85; SchecterDisposable; Martin Backpacker/paddle combo;VoxAD30VT;SWR California Blonde
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 07:34:46 AM by Bill »
A few Flys in my soup

Learning Block?

Offline bno

Learning Block?
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2007, 08:22:46 AM »
Take a break and go do something else.  Like everything else in life you need to get away from it once in a while.  Seriously, if you don't have a gig or lesson in a couple of days, put the guitar and books away for a day or two.  Your playing will barely suffer.  If you're taking lessons tell your instructor you need a break.
'94 Fly Deluxe
Listen first, then play.

Learning Block?

Offline loumt123

Learning Block?
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2007, 12:50:20 PM »
It's kind of the opposite with me...when I don't have alot going on it's almost as if I feel my musical ability diminishing. However, when I have a lesson or a jam session or some tough intensive study I feel like I learn the most. I think I'm one of those people that needs to be pushed with more than they can handle; it probably forces me to learn harder or something.

Learning Block?

Offline Strandwolf

• http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577969013
Learning Block?
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2007, 09:14:51 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by cmpkllyrslf96

It's kind of the opposite with me...when I don't have alot going on it's almost as if I feel my musical ability diminishing. However, when I have a lesson or a jam session or some tough intensive study I feel like I learn the most. I think I'm one of those people that needs to be pushed with more than they can handle; it probably forces me to learn harder or something.

Yeah, but that's a recipe for frustration, intimidation, burn out, etc.
Enjoy the journey. You'll get where you want to go when you get there, and then maybe you'll realize that the fun was the thing and sometimes you gotta shake that thing. I think that's the takehome from Yoyo's enigmatic signature.
Rather than play scales and chord progressions to build chops, write songs and play them as fast and slow as you can. Keep things musical, that's what makes pleasing play. The shred thing is over, I hope.
Parkers: Pick, cap, T-shirt, clock, and other assorted accouterments

Learning Block?

Offline prjacobs

Learning Block?
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2007, 08:58:12 AM »
Perhaps if you feel that you're not coming through with the "new" level of playing that you're looking for, it might not be bad to focus on improving some fundamental part of your playing.  Solidifying any aspect of your playing can only add confidence and perhaps give you new energy to go at what you're after. At least you'll feel like you're making some kind of progress. It always takes time for new ideas to reach your fingers from your brain. Especially complex ones.  I've felt and feel the same way many times....

Learning Block?

Offline ckyvick

Learning Block?
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2007, 11:30:39 PM »
well i have been in a "rut" from time to time. playin 4 years or so. it seems like you need to just think about where your going and what direction you want to take. for instance i would listen to CKY and bring myself back to what got me into the guitar and where i am going with it in my life, thats how i cured stage fright for solo classical guitar actually. just have fun with it and love what you do. try playing guitar but not studying just **** with the guitar makeing sounds and bolagna. peace