Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Prospective buyer with a few questions.  (Read 2818 times)

Offline kenichi612

Prospective buyer with a few questions.
« on: March 16, 2005, 12:37:48 AM »
I have been using a Wahburn WR150 for the past few years and I've been looking to move up along the quality gradient.  By teacher Bon Lozaga had used a Parker P40 and occassionally I was fortunate enough to play it.  Now I'm in the market for a Fly, but I have a few questions.

What is the battery for?
How does the tremelo system allow for deep bends without locks to keep it in tune?

Offline darkest_fugue

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2005, 05:31:57 AM »
the battery runs the piezo and internal mixer...if you run out you also run out of sound...as far as the trem goes it depends on the guitar...i had a nitefly that you could dive all night on and it would stay in tune...my flagship supreme will not stay in tune at all though the slightest dive sends that 3rd string waaay sharp and the rest sharp also....my advice to you if this is important is to find a guitar you like have them set it up with the string gauge you use and then try it....itsthe only way to be sure

Offline 908ssp

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2005, 09:17:24 AM »
The Fly Trem does a terrific job staying in tune. I would bet that df needs to have his nut slots loosened. You will notice some noise coming from the guitar before the battery runs out. Then you look at the back a red led glowing tells you battery is low. I play or at least have guitar plugged in about three hours a night and my battery lasts about two months or so. Some people say for them the battery lasts a year. Big difference between a P40 and a Fly, big difference between a P40 and a Nitefly, you should try them out if at all possible. The quality is generally so good that any Fly can be set up to play well, unlike some guitars that are just hopeless.

1996 Parker Fly Deluxe
1998 Parker Fly Classic
200? Parker NiteFly S/S/H
2004 Maven Peal Ganesha
2004 Marshall 4x12 Scumbag
Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Offline darkest_fugue

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2005, 09:45:57 AM »
the nut has been recut to accomodate 10s by a luthier....the strange thing is...if i back off the balance wheel screw well away from the step stop it stays in tune much better than the bend down only or having the step stop up in the floating position....the problem with this is it still goes out of tune and if you break a string the whole guitar is thrown out of tune and you cant move the step stop back down to throw it in tune again because there is nothing to put it against...i just have it in fixed mode now because i just cant be bothered with it anymore....the battery light is only on the older  models also....the revised flys dont have the light....also with a the jack plugged into the guitar for 3 hours a day the battery lasts around a month give or take a few days and what batteries your using...i know because ive timed it when i gig 7 days a week...apparently the new flys last much longer

Offline 908ssp

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2005, 10:04:15 AM »
I assume you're using the #10 spring along with your .010 through .046 strings? The nut slots should be cut for a gage larger then you are using cut for .011s play .010s. I suppose it is possible that there is something amiss with your trem. Take the strings off and the spring out make sure the trem moves easily, floppy loose and that there are no stiff spots or notches. I haven't seen a Fly trem do what you are suggesting so it is hard for me to guess what might be wrong. I know a guy who uses the hell out of his trem on his fly and he is very sensitive about it staying in tune. You can give a listen if you go to my web site and look for No Day Six.

1996 Parker Fly Deluxe
1998 Parker Fly Classic
200? Parker NiteFly S/S/H
2004 Maven Peal Ganesha
2004 Marshall 4x12 Scumbag
Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Offline darkest_fugue

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2005, 12:51:21 PM »
theres nothing technically wrong with my trem...i also explained my problem to the guys at rudys in new york when i was there but they didnt seem to be able to do anything with it either....funny though what i explained to you about setting it up with the screw away from the step stop doesnt send the 3rd string skyrocketing into oblivian...i always thought this was strange...and yes its all set up the way it should be 10 spring 10 46 gauge strings and all that...believe me ive toiled over the trem on this thing for years but in the end i just play it in the fixed mode....if parker dealers rudys in manhattan couldnt get it to stay in tune then theres no way in hell im going to be able to