Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Scalloped necks  (Read 12552 times)

Offline AXEL

Scalloped necks
« on: December 30, 2007, 01:39:36 PM »
Since I bought my Fly a couple of weeks ago I'm finding it very hard to go back to my other guitars. They all feel like baseball bat necks and are as heavy as bowling balls. And I have some very nice guitars (5 strats, LP, 335, Explorer, Hamer, etc.)

The funny thing is that of them all the only one I am still inspired to play is my Malmsteen signature strat. I never get tired of playing the scalloped neck. I also have a 1/2 scalloped Warmoth but it's the Malmsteen full scallop that stills has the mojo.

Anyone else here play on a scalloped neck?

Scalloped necks

Offline 908ssp

Scalloped necks
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 02:20:58 PM »
I used to play scalloped necks too. I find the Fly is the only guitar that string bends are even easier on. I needed the scallop to get a grip on the string with the hard steel frets you don't need to grip the string as hard. And for me everything else on the Fly is just more to love.
[^]

Alex

Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Scalloped necks

Offline simonlock

Scalloped necks
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 04:37:38 PM »
I played a Strat with a Warmoth full scallop neck on it. It was gorgeous to play. In fact I almost bought an Yngwie Strat for 900 last year. Anyway this Warmoth one had it going on. It had been to a tech guy that knows is stuff. It had Killer tone, a killer setup and the neck was awesome to play. I'd buy one.

Simon
Vancouver,BC
2000 Fly Supreme
1998 Fly Supreme w/Jerome Little knobs
1999 Fly Artist w/Ken Parker sig and Jerome Little knobs
1999 Fly Artist custom refinished in dark walnut
2006 Fly Nylon w/Jerome Little knobs
2002 Fly Classic Hardtail
2006 Fly Classic
2006 Fly Mojo
1999 Fly Deluxe w/Gen1s
2001 MidiFly

Scalloped necks

Offline loumt123

Scalloped necks
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 04:58:41 PM »
I've never played a fully scalloped neck...I've only tried the JEM guitars with the upper frets scalloped, and it was hard to tell if it made a difference.

Scalloped necks

Offline uburoibob

• Bob Martin 11:11
Scalloped necks
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 05:36:17 PM »
I played on a customized scalloped neck back in the late 70's when John McLaughlin first popularized it. It was really cool for playing quarter tones and getting that eastern sound. A very musical effect. It was very cool, but it was a tremendous amount of discipline to get the pitch right in between the chromatics. I gotta hand it to sitar players - a VERY difficult thing to do. I know that the guys in the 80s used them for very different reasons, but I gotta think that they all started out influenced by McLaughlin, and quickly found something a little easier or more palatable for western ears to do with the scallops.

Bob

2001 Parker Fly Single 2 Silver  â€¢ 1997 Parker Fly Concert Burnt Butterscotch  â€¢  1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch  â€¢  1998 Fly Classic in Transparent Dark Blue  â€¢  1998 Fly Classic in Cherry Red with DiBurro Roland Mod •  http://bobmartin1111.com
1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch -   2000 Fly Standard Classic in Cherry Red - http://bobmartin1111.com

Scalloped necks

Offline Eruption

Scalloped necks
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2007, 05:47:56 PM »
I am currently building a 70s Strat copy and was wondering if I should scallop the neck. Knowing that a scalloped neck would [possibily] make my Strat play more like my Fly Deluxe then I will do it!

2006 Parker Fly Deluxe
Several Other Guitars
2007 Peavey Valveking
2001 Yamaha DG60
2007 Zoom G2.1u
Modded Boss SD1
The KickAx Shredocaster is nearing completion!
'07 Fly Deluxe- Dusty Black
'10 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Plus
'11 Suhr Modern Custom (ON ORDER)
'10 Mesa/Boogie Mark V head
'00s Randall MTS 2x12
TC Electronic Flashback Delay/ISP Decimator
...and some strange beautiful secrets...

Scalloped necks

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
Scalloped necks
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2007, 05:56:10 PM »
quote:
I played on a customized scalloped neck back in the late 70's when John McLaughlin first popularized it.

Huh, I didn't know he played scalloped necks. The only guitars I have seen him with appeared to be stock Les Pauls. Anyhow, very interesting piece of info.

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams

Scalloped necks

Offline ckyvick

Scalloped necks
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2007, 11:45:11 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Eruption

I am currently building a 70s Strat copy and was wondering if I should scallop the neck. Knowing that a scalloped neck would [possibily] make my Strat play more like my Fly Deluxe then I will do it!

hahahahahahahahahhahahahahaha parkers dont have scallped necks, however scalloped necks are supposed to give you a better grip on the guitar, but then you push down farther and that will mean you have to be more precise i think?

Scalloped necks

Offline simonlock

Scalloped necks
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2007, 12:03:28 AM »
It takes a lot of patience and precision to do a scallop job. There are good web pages that I've seen that guide you thru it. If this would be the first time using power tools on wood than I would urge you to not try to do it yourself.

Simon
Vancouver,BC
2000 Fly Supreme
1998 Fly Supreme w/Jerome Little knobs
1999 Fly Artist w/Ken Parker sig and Jerome Little knobs
1999 Fly Artist custom refinished in dark walnut
2006 Fly Nylon w/Jerome Little knobs
2002 Fly Classic Hardtail
2006 Fly Classic
2006 Fly Mojo
1999 Fly Deluxe w/Gen1s
2001 MidiFly

Scalloped necks

Offline Paul Marossy

Scalloped necks
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2007, 06:47:21 AM »
quote:
It takes a lot of patience and precision to do a scallop job. There are good web pages that I've seen that guide you thru it.

Here's one webpage I remember seeing about scalloping your fretboard: http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/scal1.htm

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams

Scalloped necks

Offline Eruption

Scalloped necks
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2007, 08:29:30 AM »
Yes,I meant that a scalloped neck would play more like my Fly Deluxe. Also,I am thinking of sending it off to get scalloped if I do decide to do that. I want to get is built and set up first.

2006 Parker Fly Deluxe
Several Other Guitars
2007 Peavey Valveking
2001 Yamaha DG60
2007 Zoom G2.1u
Modded Boss SD1
The KickAx Shredocaster is nearing completion!
'00s Randall MTS 2x12

Scalloped necks

Offline AXEL

Scalloped necks
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2007, 09:30:04 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Eruption

Yes,I meant that a scalloped neck would play more like my Fly Deluxe. Also,I am thinking of sending it off to get scalloped if I do decide to do that. I want to get is built and set up first.

Be careful scalloping the neck yourself. Bear in mind that you need to have jumbo frets on your guitar. Once you scallop, smaller frets will lose a lot of their "hold" in the wood and tend to push up. I had this problem with a Warmoth neck I did a half scallop on and that neck HAD Jumbo frets. A factory scallop is done before the frets are put on and in some cases they are glued in.

If you don't have experience scalloping, either buy a very cheap neck and practice or pay a skilled tech to do it. I was lucky to already have my Malmsteen strat to use as reference but even though, if I were to do it again I would just spend the extra $90 and have Warmoth do it at the factory.

I don't think my Malmsteen strat and the Fly have anything in common other than they are both very unique guitars that have their own very unique feel. I wouldn't say it took me more than a couple of hours to get use to playing on a scalloped neck and there was never any problem switching between scalloped and non-scalloped necks. But I will say that I am having a hard time going back to my "other" guitars since I got the Fly.

One more thing, when I first got the Malmsteen, I found that every time I played that guitar it was like a guitar lesson, my touch got lighter (which is good) my hand relaxed, and my vibrato really improved tremendously.

Scalloped necks

Offline Eruption

Scalloped necks
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2007, 10:35:56 AM »
I still don't know if I want to scallop the fretboard. I have to finish the building first.

2006 Parker Fly Deluxe
2007 Peavey ValveKing112
2007 Zoom G2.1u
I in no way,shape or form,condone if my playing has too many notes.
'00s Randall MTS 2x12

Scalloped necks

Offline Paul Marossy

Scalloped necks
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2007, 10:50:03 AM »
quote:
Be careful scalloping the neck yourself. Bear in mind that you need to have jumbo frets on your guitar. Once you scallop, smaller frets will lose a lot of their "hold" in the wood and tend to push up.

I noticed that some of the Malmsteen signature Strats have all maple necks. It might work better with a maple neck and fretboard as that is a harder wood than rosewood. Maple is harder to work than rosewood, though... [B)]

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams

Scalloped necks

Offline uburoibob

• Bob Martin 11:11
Scalloped necks
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2007, 10:41:18 PM »
Paul, check out the Shakti stuff to hear McLaughlin playing the first scalloped neck guitar I'd ever heard of (1976 ish). While I've seen photos of him with a Les Paul, McLaughlin is most associated with either a double neck Gibson (SG style), or that beautiful custom job by luthier Rex Bogue (the one that Ibanez copied in 1976). The scalloped guitar was built, with sympathetic strings, by luthier Abe Wechter. Really interesting instruments in the hands of, for my money, the most innovative guitarist of the last half of the 20th century.

Bob

2001 Parker Fly Single 2 Silver  â€¢ 1997 Parker Fly Concert Burnt Butterscotch  â€¢  1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch  â€¢  1998 Fly Classic in Transparent Dark Blue  â€¢  1998 Fly Classic in Cherry Red with DiBurro Roland Mod •  http://bobmartin1111.com
1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch -   2000 Fly Standard Classic in Cherry Red - http://bobmartin1111.com