Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Scalloped necks  (Read 12559 times)

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
Scalloped necks
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2007, 11:36:14 PM »
quote:
Paul, check out the Shakti stuff to hear McLaughlin playing the first scalloped neck guitar I'd ever heard of (1976 ish).

I have one of those Shakti albums, it's great stuff! I didn't know he was playing something with scalloped frets on that album. [:0]

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams

Scalloped necks

Offline uburoibob

• Bob Martin 11:11
Scalloped necks
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2008, 07:15:34 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Marossy

quote:
Paul, check out the Shakti stuff to hear McLaughlin playing the first scalloped neck guitar I'd ever heard of (1976 ish).

I have one of those Shakti albums, it's great stuff! I didn't know he was playing something with scalloped frets on that album. [:0]

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams

YUP! That's how he's getting the sound of the quarter tones, which are nearly impossible to get by just bending strings (or you'd need twice as many frets [;)])

Pretty cool stuff.

Bob

2001 Parker Fly Single 2 Silver  â€¢ 1997 Parker Fly Concert Burnt Butterscotch  â€¢  1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch  â€¢  1998 Fly Classic in Transparent Dark Blue  â€¢  1998 Fly Classic in Cherry Red with DiBurro Roland Mod •  http://bobmartin1111.com
1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch -   2000 Fly Standard Classic in Cherry Red - http://bobmartin1111.com

Scalloped necks

Offline Paul Marossy

Scalloped necks
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2008, 08:47:54 AM »
quote:
YUP! That's how he's getting the sound of the quarter tones, which are nearly impossible to get by just bending strings

Hmm... I'm going to have to give that CD a listen today. The one I have is called "Natural Elements". He's playing acoustic on this album.

I never really noticed any 1/4 bends before. I guess it fits so natural with the violin, tabla, and other instruments that I didn't really notice it?

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams

Scalloped necks

Offline cy2989

• http://chrisyoungportraits.com
Scalloped necks
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2008, 09:51:36 AM »
I recently saw a picture in a Hannabach string catalog of a Herman Hauser I, Flamenco guitar built in 1913 with a scalloped fingerboard.  As if Flamenco isn't hard enough to play.  I thought it was a modern invention but I guess not.

Scalloped necks

Offline Vilhelm J.S Bachstein

Scalloped necks
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2008, 10:05:12 AM »
Hello Sir,I am a huge fan of the Fender Yngwie Malmsteen and Ritchie Blackmore Fender Stratocaster guitars as they both [are and were]the only production guitars [that I know of] that have the scalloped fretboards. Although John Mclaughlin used them,the first well known user of the scalloped fretboard was indeed Ritchie Blackmore. I do know that Ritchie Blackmore scalloped his becuase he played a classical guitar with quite a concaved fretboard. He then transfered it onto his mid 1970s Fender Stratocasters. Yngwie also disovered it by accident due to him finding a 16th century lute with a scalloped fretboard [It must be an old invention then]and in turn,Yngwie begin to scallop his fretboards as well. I am not sure if Yngwie knew that Ritchie Blackmore used a scalloped fretboard as he grew up in Sweeden where information was a bit more limited than in America. Just a thought but,What if they offered a Fly or NiteFly with a scalloped fretboard? It would keep in the motto of being different.

'06 Fly Deluxe,Dusty Black
Funds for my Trans Red Fly Classic have begin!

Scalloped necks

Offline simonlock

Scalloped necks
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2008, 10:15:05 AM »
Did you guys check out the FreeNote 12-Tone Plus? That looks cool.

Simon
Vancouver,BC
2000 Fly Supreme
1998 Fly Supreme w/Jerome Little knobs
1999 Fly Artist w/Ken Parker sig and Jerome Little knobs
1999 Fly Artist custom refinished in dark walnut
2006 Fly Nylon w/Jerome Little knobs
2002 Fly Classic Hardtail
2006 Fly Classic
2006 Fly Mojo
1999 Fly Deluxe w/Gen1s
2001 MidiFly

Scalloped necks

Offline AXEL

Scalloped necks
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2008, 01:04:37 PM »
quote:
I noticed that some of the Malmsteen signature Strats have all maple necks. It might work better with a maple neck and fretboard as that is a harder wood than rosewood. Maple is harder to work than rosewood, though... [B)]

Scalloping a maple neck is more complicated. First, yes the wood is harder and that will make it harder to sand (more work). Also you really don't want to leave the sanded maple woodwork unfinished. So you will need to apply some kind of a sealer over the fret board (more work). Rosewood is easy to sand and easy to finish, just use some lemon oil.

Plus, with a scalloped neck since your fingers never touch the wood like on a normal neck, there are no benefits to using maple. Some people might say there are some tonal differences but it don't think it's worth the trouble. I read and article in which Yngwie said he likes maple necks because of how they look and agreed there wasn't any noticeable difference in tone.

Whether you scallop yourself or pay to have it done, a maple neck will cost you more for labor. However you could buy a Malmsteen signature and I don't believe they is any difference in cost.

I have both a Fender YJM sig and a Warmoth. The Warmoth has Dunlop Jumbo frets and a 1/2 scallop (12 - 22). I would honestly say that the scallop is over kill on the Warmoth. The frets are so big that my fingers never come close to the wood on the non-scalloped frets. Still, I'm glad I only did a 1/2 scallop on that neck. It's nice to have both though!

I would love a scalloped Parker but highly doubt one will ever be manufactured. I would even be happy with a PArker with Jumbo Frets. If I could afford it, I'd order one custom  built that way.

Scalloped necks

Offline Paul Marossy

Scalloped necks
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2008, 02:30:07 PM »
quote:
I would love a scalloped Parker but highly doubt one will ever be manufactured.

Yeah, that would be pretty cool. [:p]

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams

Scalloped necks

Offline uburoibob

• Bob Martin 11:11
Scalloped necks
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2008, 10:03:46 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Vilhelm J.S Bachstein

Hello Sir,I am a huge fan of the Fender Yngwie Malmsteen and Ritchie Blackmore Fender Stratocaster guitars as they both [are and were]the only production guitars [that I know of] that have the scalloped fretboards. Although John Mclaughlin used them,the first well known user of the scalloped fretboard was indeed Ritchie Blackmore. I do know that Ritchie Blackmore scalloped his becuase he played a classical guitar with quite a concaved fretboard. He then transfered it onto his mid 1970s Fender Stratocasters. Yngwie also disovered it by accident due to him finding a 16th century lute with a scalloped fretboard [It must be an old invention then]and in turn,Yngwie begin to scallop his fretboards as well. I am not sure if Yngwie knew that Ritchie Blackmore used a scalloped fretboard as he grew up in Sweeden where information was a bit more limited than in America. Just a thought but,What if they offered a Fly or NiteFly with a scalloped fretboard? It would keep in the motto of being different.

Not for nuthin, but at the time, McLaughlin was much more well known that Malmstein. Blackmore was as well known. But McLaughlin as selling out arenas. I saw Aerosmith OPEN for Mahavishnu Orchestra. Of course, this was 15 to 20 years before you were born. Seeing what you cited as back stories for Blackmore and Malmsteen I gotta contest these as revisionist history. McLaughlin was HUGELY influential at the time, and I gotta think that both Blackmore and Malmsteen knew about his forays into scalloped boards. It was well documented in Guitar Player at the time and, yes, GP was distributed in Europe and the Scandinavian sector.

Just kinda fun seeing history being continually rewritten.

Bob

2001 Parker Fly Single 2 Silver  â€¢ 1997 Parker Fly Concert Burnt Butterscotch  â€¢  1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch  â€¢  1998 Fly Classic in Transparent Dark Blue  â€¢  1998 Fly Classic in Cherry Red with DiBurro Roland Mod •  http://bobmartin1111.com
1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch -   2000 Fly Standard Classic in Cherry Red - http://bobmartin1111.com

Scalloped necks

Offline Paul Marossy

Scalloped necks
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2008, 10:10:13 PM »
quote:
Just kinda fun seeing history being continually rewritten.

Indeed. [8D]

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams

Scalloped necks

Scalloped necks
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2008, 04:45:38 AM »
Hello sir,I am a huge fan of Mr John Mclaughlin as well. I guess what I am trying to say is,John Mclaughlin wasn't as well known as Mr Blackmore in regard to the scalloped fretboard.

Scalloped necks

Scalloped necks
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2008, 04:46:42 AM »
At least not now anyway,Becuase Yngwie J Malmsteen trumps them all in that regard.

Scalloped necks

Offline Paul Marossy

Scalloped necks
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2008, 06:33:51 AM »
I like McLaughlin over Malmsteen. I can only take so much of Yngwie. McLaughlin has a more diverse style, and therefore I can tolerate him a lot more. When I'm in the mood, though, Malmsteen hits the spot. [8D]

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams

Scalloped necks

Offline AXEL

Scalloped necks
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2008, 06:21:40 AM »
I am a huge Malmsteen fan. I see him eveytime he's in town. I use to listen to McLughlin years ago and then turned more to Al Demeola. But Malmsteen is the man as far as I'm concerned. As much as I love my new Fly I was never happier guitarwise than the day I bought my Malmsteen strat. I still turn to that guitar a few times a week even now that I'm playing the Fly just about everyday. There was a time up to about a year ago that I listened to Yngwie everyday. I have leaned so much abut the guitar studying his style and technique.

Scalloped necks

Offline Paul Marossy

Scalloped necks
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2008, 06:37:21 AM »
Al Di Meola is THE man. I saw him live about a year ago, he was great.

I like all of these guys mentioned so far, but I can handle some more than others. I like that one CD where Yngwie is playing with the Prague orchestra, just him and the orchestra. That one is pretty cool. I forget the name of it, though...

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams