Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Scalloped necks  (Read 12543 times)

Offline AXEL

Scalloped necks
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2008, 10:56:49 AM »
Derek Sherinian (former Dream Theater Keyboard player) released a CD a few years ago which features a couple of cuts with both Al Di Meola & Yngwie dueling on the same songs. Yngwie has mentined during interviews that he is a big fan of Al. It's a great CD.

Scalloped necks

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
Scalloped necks
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2008, 02:18:24 PM »
quote:
Derek Sherinian (former Dream Theater Keyboard player) released a CD a few years ago which features a couple of cuts with both Al Di Meola & Yngwie dueling on the same songs. Yngwie has mentined during interviews that he is a big fan of Al. It's a great CD.

Wow, that sounds very interesting.

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams

Scalloped necks

Offline marep

Scalloped necks
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2008, 05:11:35 PM »
Hello, this is my fist post here, I'm from Romania, I'm not yet a Parker owner but I hope I'll be one soon.
I love Parker guitars and scalloped necks, so I did that> http://forums.rgc.ro/index.php?showtopic=17129&st=0&p=195736#entry195736
You can't understand the language but you will see that I modified a cheap tele kit and you will understand from pictures what I did.
It was just a game, I wanted to see if I can make a scalloped neck and a nice body.

Scalloped necks

Offline uburoibob

• Bob Martin 11:11
Scalloped necks
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2008, 05:22:21 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Vilhelm J.S Bachstein

Hello sir,I am a huge fan of Mr John Mclaughlin as well. I guess what I am trying to say is,John Mclaughlin wasn't as well known as Mr Blackmore in regard to the scalloped fretboard.

'06 Fly Deluxe,Dusty Black
Funds for my Trans Red Fly Classic have begin!

Yeah, that's what I thought you meant. I guess I have to disagree with you on that.

Bob

2001 Parker Fly Single 2 Silver  â€¢ 1997 Parker Fly Concert Burnt Butterscotch  â€¢  1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch  â€¢  1998 Fly Classic in Transparent Dark Blue  â€¢  1998 Fly Classic in Cherry Red with DiBurro Roland Mod •  http://bobmartin1111.com
1999 Parker Fly Artist Custom Hardtail Butterscotch -   2000 Fly Standard Classic in Cherry Red - http://bobmartin1111.com

Scalloped necks

Offline Paul Marossy

• Excuse me while I kiss The Fly
Scalloped necks
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2008, 06:12:19 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by marep

Hello, this is my fist post here, I'm from Romania, I'm not yet a Parker owner but I hope I'll be one soon.
I love Parker guitars and scalloped necks, so I did that> http://forums.rgc.ro/index.php?showtopic=17129&st=0&p=195736#entry195736
You can't understand the language but you will see that I modified a cheap tele kit and you will understand from pictures what I did.
It was just a game, I wanted to see if I can make a scalloped neck and a nice body.

Not a bad effort. [8D]

__/\\/\\__PJM__/\\/\\__
www.DIYguitarist.com
www.myspace.com/j201jams

Scalloped necks

Offline AXEL

Scalloped necks
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2008, 10:04:14 AM »
quote:

That is beautiful! Excellent workmanship. If any of you guys out there have any experience with work working on guitars you have to give this guy credit, that is a masterpiece!. Being a Parker and scalloped neck fan I would love a guitar just like that. Hmmmm, I may have to make one myself, got to study those pics more.

Scalloped necks

Offline marep

Scalloped necks
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2008, 12:28:02 PM »
Thank you guys! I now that a carbon glass neck can't be scalloped, or is not an easy work. So, I imagined a guitar like this.
It took me about one month to do it.
Now, I'm on the way to buy a '95 Fly Deluxe from e-bay, I hope I'll can get it and I don't want to scallop it. :-)
I tried to buy pulkitman's fly but I'm a noob ebay user and the price was expensive for me. Thanks pulkitman for your patience!

Scalloped necks

Offline zlopresti13

Scalloped necks
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2008, 08:02:50 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Eruption

I still don't know if I want to scallop the fretboard. I have to finish the building first.

2006 Parker Fly Deluxe
2007 Peavey ValveKing112
2007 Zoom G2.1u
I in no way,shape or form,condone if my playing has too many notes.

if you decide to go for it, you should get a warmoth scalloped neck...my friend got one put on his strat, best move he ever made...it plays great...although for me, sweeping always felt stranger (in a bad way) with scallops then without....but overal its really cool and different.

'05 Prestige Ibanez 121A
'07 Gibson Les Paul Classic
'75 Fender Strat
'08 Mint Burst Fly Deluxe (soon hopefully)

Marshall JCM 2000 50w stack
Marshall JCM 2000 60w combo
'05 Prestige Ibanez 121A
'75 Fender Strat
'08 Mint Burst Fly Deluxe

Scalloped necks

Offline 908ssp

Scalloped necks
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2008, 09:29:30 AM »
quote:

I haven't seen you around but if you check in I want you to know that is pretty cool. I hate it when companies make copies but you doing that is pretty neat and it came out darn nice. I know you will flip when you get your hands on the real thing.
[^]

Alex

Alex

[IMG]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/908ssp/ThumbNails/_1010802.jpg[/IMG

Scalloped necks

Offline loumt123

Scalloped necks
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2008, 11:55:22 AM »
the purpose of a scalloped fretboard is for bends, not speed or anything. Big misconception.

Scalloped necks

Offline Titus Pullo

Scalloped necks
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2008, 12:58:06 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by AXEL

Since I bought my Fly a couple of weeks ago I'm finding it very hard to go back to my other guitars.
The funny thing is that of them all the only one I am still inspired to play is my Malmsteen signature strat. I never get tired of playing the scalloped neck. I also have a 1/2 scalloped Warmoth but it's the Malmsteen full scallop that stills has the mojo.

I almost bought a warmoth scalloped neck on ebay months ago but the price went too high.

I've never played one - can you describe how it feels in relation to normal fretboard? More pressure needed, less ... etc.

thanks!
--
"If you subscribe to the Stew-Mac style you have to have a template to blow your nose." - Ken Parker

Scalloped necks

Offline zlopresti13

Scalloped necks
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2008, 08:11:55 AM »
its actually very similar, just (as everyone has said) it makes it much easier to bend...I actually read an interview with the big ol swedish meatball (Yngwie) where he stated that scallops actually make the action higher, and overall harder to play...but on my friend's guitar with the scallops, that is not the case...its just as easy to play as any other normal good feeling guitar (my prestige ibanez =]), at liest for me...also, anything barred feels wierd with it (for instance, a standard 6 string e minor sweep starting at the 12 fret, or just any full 6 string barre chords).

'05 Prestige Ibanez 121A
'75 Fender Strat

'05 Prestige Ibanez 121A
'75 Fender Strat

Scalloped necks

Offline simonlock

Scalloped necks
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2008, 08:21:03 AM »
I played a strat with a Warmoth scalloped neck on it and it felt great. I was amazed at how much control of the strings I had for bending and vibrato. You can have super low action and still have room for your meaty fingertips to dig in and grab the string. I often slip in bends on my Flys because my action is so low. I'm not very much of a bender and a very big legato player so it is what it is.

Yngwie is awesome but he says things that make him look like such a tool! lol Action is higher off the fretboard yeah but it's not going to affect the height from the frets. If he ever did the work on his Lamborgini's he'd know this! I felt that the lack of interference with the fretboard during technical bluesy/bendy stuff leant itself nicely to making things happen easier/faster. It's also a good trainer for people that don't have a light touch because everything will be way sharp if you like to press hard. Thus if you don't have a light touch it could possibly teach you this and enable you to play faster

Simon
Vancouver,BC
A Whole Mess of Flys and I Love Them ALL!!!!!

Scalloped necks

Offline zlopresti13

Scalloped necks
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2008, 08:42:20 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by simonlock

If he ever did the work on his Lamborgini's he'd know this!

Simon
Vancouver,BC
A Whole Mess of Flys and I Love Them ALL!!!!!

Yngwie is a Ferrari inthusiast, not Lamborghini [:p]...the guy is great at what he does, and as much as people who dont apreciate shred would hate to hear this, he inspired a whole generation of players....EVH started it, Yngwie took elements from him, Rictchie Blackmore, and others, and took it to the next level.....ALL that being said, he is soo repititive, and a terrible songwriter...its ok tho, cause hes Yngwie, and thats what he does lol.

'05 Prestige Ibanez 121A
'75 Fender Strat

« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 08:47:13 AM by zlopresti13 »
'05 Prestige Ibanez 121A
'75 Fender Strat

Scalloped necks

Offline bno

Scalloped necks
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2008, 10:15:22 AM »
Is the scalloped neck "easier to bend and vibrato" because you aren't fretting with your finger against the fretboard, e.g. the finger tip is floating above the fretboard and only contacting the string instead of the string and the fretboard?  I would think that is a significant technique adjustment and would make switching between scalloped and non-scalloped necks/guitars a bit awkward.  Enlighten me.
'94 Fly Deluxe
Listen first, then play.